Tongues And Lungs Galore!

Guest FijiHound

Guest FijiHound

There was an annual celebration today here in Fiji - quite a few bulls were slaughtered for the occasion. Now I have the tongues/lungs/liver etc of 3 bulls! Don't know where I'm going to find the space to pack all this in!!! Not a bad haul for our raw food diet - just started 4 days ago!

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Nice!

Lucky you! Do you have a way to dehydrate? I know I buy dehydrated lamb lung pieces and the hounds love it! If you don't have the freezer space maybe a friend will help out.

:nod My dogs love these and they break easily into bite size pieces, making them great for reinforcement on walks and they don't seem as rich as the liver treats we used to use so less worry about stool consistency if I feed a lot of it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FijiHound

Well Cassie has suddenly decided that actually 'no I don't really like lung..." but I think it's only because it wasn't cut up the way she wanted it and hand fed to her :) she gulped down the first taste test quick enough! So looks like I have to chop it down a bit more and here I was thinking 'she's gonna love that hunk of meat' :D. Oh and also she prefers her egg beaten thank you and not just dumped in a bowl!

Well Cassie has suddenly decided that actually 'no I don't really like lung..." but I think it's only because it wasn't cut up the way she wanted it and hand fed to her :) she gulped down the first taste test quick enough! So looks like I have to chop it down a bit more and here I was thinking 'she's gonna love that hunk of meat' :D. Oh and also she prefers her egg beaten thank you and not just dumped in a bowl!

Zuri isn't a fan of fish, but was eating the ground salmon I was buying from my supplier. One time he was out of ground so he gave us larger pieces, some as big as filets you would buy in the grocery store. He wouldn't eat them. I figured out that he could sort of gulp down his food without tasting if it was in small pieces so I went back to grinding it myself. More recently I've been able to feed the larger pieces, I think he finally got used to the taste after eating enough ground. All of this to say, that may have been why she gulped down the first piece so I would try cutting it up and maybe gradually increasing in size so eventually you don't have to do it anymore. Maybe. :P The other thing that sometimes helps is a light sear just on the outside of the meat.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."