Pain Relief

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

I am not pleased with how Novox is working for Peace this episode of limping. Even though it has brought some relief, she still is limping in the evening, I am not sure if it is because she plays too much during the day when we are at work or if we walk her too much, she has always had two half hour to forty five minute walks daily and "stalks" us until we walk her, I imagine it is the best part of her day. Anyways, I took her to the vet last Thursday and was advised if the Novox seems to not work good enough, their are several other NSAIDS to try. However, before going on Deramaxx(the one the vet has suggested) she has to take ten days off from the Novox. I am afraid it will be too painful for her. I plan to call the vet tomorrow regarding this issue but wondered if anyone had suggestions. Tramadol doesn't work for her, she had terrible side effects from it when she had surgery last spring. Novox has been the only drug since then she has used for pain, last dental she had nine teeth pulled and the Novox seem to work great. And those of you who use the NSAIDs, how often does your vet do bloodwork? I have never used the drugs on a regular basis but it seems with her age and more flare-ups of the limping it may be long term this time around. I have had bloodwork very 6-9 months for the last three years I have had her as a bounce because of frequent dentals and some other medical issues that have come up. Poor thing has had a rough life, she was very neglected and had to be removed from her last home. I want the remainder of her life to be painfree and fun! She will soon be nine years young.

Not really sure why you would need to stop the novox for 10 days before trying the Deramaxx. I understand a washout period is needed when changing from NSAID to steroid but, not from NSAID to NSAID. In any event 10 days is exessive. If you use a NSAID you should run blood work done every 6 months.

Did you check carefully for corns????

Edited by tbhounds

I had to google novox to be sure what it is. Rimadyl doesn't do much for Jake, he has had much better results with Metacam, When she had the bad reaction to Tramadol was she taking the Novox? We found out that Jake can't take Tramadol and Rimadyl together, he has a horrible reaction. He can take the Metacam with it though. I know many people who have had great results with Deramaxx.

I hope you find something that works for your girl.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest peacehound

Not really sure why you would need to stop the novox for 10 days before trying the Deramaxx. I understand a washout period is needed when changing from NSAID to steroid but, not from NSAID to NSAID. In any event 10 days is exessive. If you use a NSAID you should run blood work done every 6 months.

Did you check carefully for corns????

I thought the vet said Deramaxx but maybe it was something different that started with a D! I will have to ask, she definately said ten days break before the other drug..I might of assumed it was another NSAID when it isnt.

We have checked for corns..can't seem to find anything.

I had to google novox to be sure what it is. Rimadyl doesn't do much for Jake, he has had much better results with Metacam, When she had the bad reaction to Tramadol was she taking the Novox? We found out that Jake can't take Tramadol and Rimadyl together, he has a horrible reaction. He can take the Metacam with it though. I know many people who have had great results with Deramaxx.

I hope you find something that works for your girl.

she was taking both drugs, Novox and Tramadol at the same time, after a middle of the night trip to the vet, she had us stop the Tramadol but keep giving the Novox and Peace responded great.