Pepcid (Famotidine) For Diarrhea?

Guest peggy

Peggy has diarrhea... again. I called the vet last night to ask for an Rx of Flagyl that I could pick up. She was busy with five emergencies and said to just go to my local drug store and buy Pepcid. Said it was the same thing as Flagyl and would have the same effect. I listened but am a bit skeptical... Anyone here ever hear of Pepcid to treat diarrhea?

Also wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for something I could give her daily to avoid this whole headache all together? A probiotic or something? Currently she is getting a heaping tablespoon (or three) of low fat yogurt daily. Other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Courtney and Peggy

It's not the same thing as Flagyl and I don't think it's a cure for diarrhea. It may help settle her stomach so it'd be worth a shot, unless she has it so bad that she can't hold anything down, in which case it may be better to just fast her.

For pro-biotics, we use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001650NNW

It's a powder, goes on one of the meals per day. Dogs tend to love the taste of it.

As for preventing the big D, I don't know what to tell ya. We go through it once every couple months. Our girl just seems prone to colitis, and it's a matter of managing it rather than getting rid of it altogether.

Guest Energy11

No, Pepcid AC is not the same as Flagyl and will not treat diarrhea. It is an anti-acid, to help reduce stomach acid.

IMMODIUM does treat diarrhea, and can be given to dogs if needed. You can give one tablet every eight hours (*per my former vet/employer). Sometimes, diarrhea is caused by a bacteria or virus, though, and supressing it isn't always the best thing. Flagyl treats bacterial type diarrhea.

You might want to try the Immodium for a day or two, and go from there. I always like keeping Flagyl in the house as well, so when your vet isn't as busy, maybe she can write you a script.

I also keep this in house: Pro-Pectalin Anti-Diarrheal for dogs and cats: http://www.petstruly.com/3120.html ... as far as adding something daily, mine get a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin (just the pumpkin, not the pie mix), and plain yogurt. We RARELY have any diarrhea here :colgate

Edited by Energy11

Fast her for several meals - make sure she keeps drinking to stay hydrated. Give her the immodium (generic version is fine and less expensive) that Energy11 recommended above. Then start up feeding with a small amount of rice or pasta with some boiled chicken. Let that sit for a while to see if the D returns. If not, another bland meals or two and then begin mixing in her regular food.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Energy11

I have been thinking (*dangerous, I know :lol )... but, if Peggy keeps getting diarrhea, maybe it is the FOOD? Food allergies, and intolerance to grains, can also cause diarrhea, especially in this breed. Might be time to change the food. Taste of the Wild is GRAIN FREE and a VERY good quality food. It is available in the chain pet stores, and also at Tractor Supply. Again ... good luck!

I have been thinking (*dangerous, I know :lol )... but, if Peggy keeps getting diarrhea, maybe it is the FOOD? Food allergies, and intolerance to grains, can also cause diarrhea, especially in this breed. Might be time to change the food. Taste of the Wild is GRAIN FREE and a VERY good quality food. It is available in the chain pet stores, and also at Tractor Supply. Again ... good luck!

I was going to mention this but Dee did it first.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Could she possibly have said "Pepto" as in Pepto Bismol?? Dr. Couto has recommended Pepto for occassional diarrhea..Just a thought...

Yes, they can have Pepto. I am not sure of the dosage, though. I, personally, HATE that pink stuff!:eek , so I guess that is why I don't give it to my houndies. I really like the Pro-Pectalin, which is what I keep for occassional diarrhea, and of course, the Flagyl, too, for bacterial diarrhea problems.