Regression

Guest tysmom

Our 7 year old male, Buck has been dealing with a foot fx we are starting the third week.

Yesterday we went to the vet for the 2 week check up.

He took off the hard splint and wrapped him in something soft. He told me he had a few pressure areas that were pretty sore.

I expected that to happen. Its happened before with other injury's .He's still three legging it and the vet said its because of the pressure areas..hmmn I didnt get to see it because

he took him away to re wrap it.

Im not sure which forum this best fits under because I think its a behavior issue but its related to the medical.

My Buck is what I have always described as a special needs boy. I started out fostering this boy because he was soo painfully shy he couldn't get adopted. After several years

I have come to adore this sweet boy.

I guess my problem is he seems to be going to a lot of old behavior. I am sure he misses running. He doesn't go out with the others so I can control

the running

he's mopey. He keeps himself in the bedroom even when we are all in the living room together he always was with us. Now I cant do anything to coax him in with us

although last night he did show up unexpectedly at some point.

He's had to be muzzled when Im not around because he tries to chew the splint off. He doesn't object but its more like resignation.

I'm worried basically I dont think the medical issues are serious but it sure has thrown him for a loop. He a veteran of injury and surgery and he's always bounced back.

This scares me a little. He just not himself.

Does anybody have any thoughts,

deb

Morning Deb -

How about something like a yummy chewie for Mr. Buck? i forget if he has diet restrictions - but a pig ear might just rock his world. And if he really wants it - make him enjoy it in the living room with you guys. Just a thought. You know I have no experience with a shy grey! Hugs to you and Buck-ster.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Morning Deb -

How about something like a yummy chewie for Mr. Buck? i forget if he has diet restrictions - but a pig ear might just rock his world. And if he really wants it - make him enjoy it in the living room with you guys. Just a thought. You know I have no experience with a shy grey! Hugs to you and Buck-ster.

No food issues janey, just is not food motivated either..lol

yesterday in the vets office I brought Ty along for moral support. She spies a three legged resident feline at the office and see's food

written all over it and does her intense staring and watching its every move.

It tried to go down the hallway but had to cross in front of the hounds to do it.. by now everyone in the office is watching and laughing at TY

as she wants to "kill" the cat..BUCK... looked the other way lol He's so traumatized good grief...I finds myself wishing his prey drive was better..lol

Not sure what the "foot fx" is, but the sores may be bothering him. How often do the wraps get changed? How much longer will he need to keep it covered? Is he on any meds for it? Pain control, antibiotics? Maybe not using the leg is bothering his back?

Or if he's feeling a little depressed about not getting his exercise, maybe some mind exercises will help until he gets back on all fours.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest krystolla

Or if he's feeling a little depressed about not getting his exercise, maybe some mind exercises will help until he gets back on all fours.

I was going to suggest mind games too -- maybe a car ride to Sonic's or sitting on a bench at the park watching the world going by? It sounds like he's not food motivated enough to make learning new tricks a fun job, but you never know.

Is the vet putting padding between Buck's toes? Even if the injury didn't involve his toes, one nail could be rubbing an adjacent toe and causing trouble.

I realize he's mopey, but perhaps that's more because of pain than anything else.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Most of the "behavioral issues" I've had with animals have turned out to be physiologically based. I like the ideas already put forth about padding and pain control. And I'd be firmly requesting (i.e., politely but firmly insisting) to be present when the bandage is changed, to observe for myself what those sores look like. That would give you a much better idea of how much they might be bothering him. Hugs to you and scritches to Buck.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Ive since discovered the wounds are/were pretty bad..

He has four. 2 are well on their way to being healed, but the other two are not well.

The vets instructions were go leave the bandage on and come back in a week. Well lucky for us both, buck has chewed

the bandage off multiple times even with the muzzle on and its been a good thing because I have been dressing it everyday applying neosporin

and a bandage once a day . one doesnt seem to be healing all that well and

im quite concerned. we see the vet again on Tuesday.

this is all from being in the splint for two weeks.

deb

If it doesn't heal well soon, consider a different ointment than Neosporin. I know people often are allergic to Neosporin (my mother, my sister, and I all are allergic to neomycin), so he might do better with a different ointment (around here, we can use polysporin).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I started polysporin yesterday.

Im having trouble keeping the bandage on properly.. which is funny because im a nurse..lol

it keeps riding up the leg somehow and leaving the wrap to cover the wound.

today i wrapped it over quite a bit more. the two most serious opening are on either side of the foot.

Guest iconsmum

wonder if it's time to spray everything with colloidal silver a few times a day instead of the ointment - I use it here to heal things that need to stay clean but can't stay wrapped and the healing is faster than anything else I've ever used.