Seizures And Hind Leg Weakness

Guest xraychick

Guest xraychick

Our Dash started having seizures this summer. First it was once a month, then every two weeks, then every few days. He was put on pheno. After his first seizure, we noticed he had hind leg weakness. Usually his right side. And its gotten much worse after being on the Pheno. He's only been on it for a week and half now. Yes, he has the drowsy drunk walk, but this whole back legs giving out thing is worrying us. Our vet said its probably arthritic in nature, since he is 7. But i'm not convinced. Does anyone have any experience with this? Everything I look up online has both these symptoms seperate and never together. Its either seizures OR hind leg problems, never together. His blood work is fine. He eats and drinks normal and still loves to play and run. Just at times his hind legs go out and he often drags his right hind leg. The vet doesnt think its neurological or tumor, but he has been very needy lately, and whines a lot. We just dont know what to do to comfort him. any insights or help? thanks.

you can email me at emtbigt@msn.com, or reply here. thanks

teresa

Saint has both. The phenobarbital will make the rear end weakness worse, temporarily and then it usually gets better. When we first started Saint on the pheno, we were constantly helping him back up because his rear end would give out. He used to have to lean against the house to go pee because he would pee for so long his legs would start to give out. Now he has the rear end weakness but it's not bad at all. He runs and plays just like all the others and doesn't have to lean against the house any more. Once the body adjusts to the meds, most symptoms get drastically better or go away all together. Now the only time we see Saints rear give way is when he's really tired.

Saint is also my talker. The whining will get better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My Piper also has enduring hind end weakness from the medication she takes for his seizures. He gets both Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. Taking both meds he has pretty decent seizure control but his rear is definitely weak and wobbly. He falls easily and sometimes has to fight to keep his balance if one of the younger dogs barges into him. From what I've read, that hind end weakness (ataxia) is quite a common side effect of Phenobarbital. For Piper, it did improve a bit, but it has never gone away entirely. Having said that, he leads and active happy life and the weakness doesn't seem to worry him at all.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.