Arthritis Worse At Night?

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

Peace is just about nine, she limps often and it seems to be arthritis. She has limped on occasion since I adopted her as a bounce and I was told she always has limped. I had her at the vet again this past Thursday and the vet reassured me that it is just her arthritis flaring up. Usually, the Novox(rimadyl?) will help but this round it seems to not be as effective. In order to try a different pain reliever for her, I have to take her off the Novox for ten days. She has never used the NSAID on a regular basis but lately it seems she may have to do something long term. My question for other owners with an arthritic hound is does it seem to cause more problems in the evening? I hate seeing my girl in pain. I use GlycoFlex 3 as a supplement, maybe time to try something else. I worry all the time about bone cancer but every xray seems clear. Just want to do everything right for this precious hound. Her race record says she was bumped her last race, I always wondered if that meant she had an injury.

Onyx's arthritis did seem to be worse at night. I don't know if it was the lower temperature or inactivity or me just being more aware of it without anything else going on.

Just F.Y.I., we tried several different NSAIDS and finally saw an improvement with a combination of Rimadyl and Tramadol. One is for imflammation and the other for pain.

I also gave him Longevity by Springtime, Milk Thistle and Duralactin, plus a Pepcid for his tummy.

Oh, and a bump is not an injury but just another dog bumping her out of the way. It happens all the time.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

If her blood works is good, there's no reason she should suffer and NOT take NSAIDs regularly.

As my own doctor says about MY arthritis, "There's no reason to suffer!"

She may be worse at night for many reasons; if she's been active during the day, she could be sore. If she's been too inactive all day, she could be very stiff. If the temp is dropping, it could make it worse.

George takes a daily dose of Deramaxx, and he is doing really well with it. No upset stomach, no change in his blood work, and he's more comfortable.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest peacehound

Onyx's arthritis did seem to be worse at night. I don't know if it was the lower temperature or inactivity or me just being more aware of it without anything else going on.

Just F.Y.I., we tried several different NSAIDS and finally saw an improvement with a combination of Rimadyl and Tramadol. One is for imflammation and the other for pain.

I also gave him Longevity by Springtime, Milk Thistle and Duralactin, plus a Pepcid for his tummy.

Oh, and a bump is not an injury but just another dog bumping her out of the way. It happens all the time.

Jenn

What I meant to say is her old racing record said she was "scratched" her last race, not bumped..do you by chance know what that means?

If her blood works is good, there's no reason she should suffer and NOT take NSAIDs regularly.

As my own doctor says about MY arthritis, "There's no reason to suffer!"

She may be worse at night for many reasons; if she's been active during the day, she could be sore. If she's been too inactive all day, she could be very stiff. If the temp is dropping, it could make it worse.

George takes a daily dose of Deramaxx, and he is doing really well with it. No upset stomach, no change in his blood work, and he's more comfortable.

I agree that she should not suffer..her limping/discomfort has always responded to Novox and cleared up..however, she seems to have built up an immunity or whatever it means when the drug will no longer work..my vet told me Thursday that I have to take her off Novox for ten days before they can try another drug...so you like Deramaxx? that was one of the options the vet mentioned..another poster mentioned Tramadol with the Novox but Peace cannot tolerate Tramadol, she had a terrible reaction on it when she had surgery for a growth in the the anal region...thanks for your advice

What I meant to say is her old racing record said she was "scratched" her last race, not bumped..do you by chance know what that means?

Being scratched from a race means the dog was either ill or injured and couldn't run. To run again they have to be cleared by the track vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee