Rally-O

I did Rally-O with our late Dobergirl and it was a lot of fun.

We've had our wonderful brindle boy Nixon for 6 months now, he has settled beautifully and I think it's time we tried something new.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done Rally - successfully or not - with their Greyhounds.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

i had a lot of fun in rally-o w/ felix. once your pup has his sits and downs it's an excellent way to really connect w/ them. i did it inbetween regular obedience classes and agility. felix was getting bored w/ standard instruction and this really perked his interest. i personally like it because it's fast and it changes all the time. i did get confused between the apdt signage and the akc signage. but i will admit that the instructor was a tad flaky, that's probably why i didn't continue. for a dog w/ a short attention span( most sighthounds) it's PERFECT! ;)

Haven't competed but went through several classes with Joseph. Great fun and perfect for a greyhound. If you've already done it with another dog, you'll have a leg up, so to speak.

I have found that most hounds take a couple of class sessions to settle into being in a different place, for a different task. Those first few sessions, you might get wacky or a bit frightened, depending on your dog's personality. Don't give up. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the input.

His 'down' and 'down stay' are very good, of course... He LOVES to lay down.

We just started working on our 'sit', and it is improving daily.

So far I have only asked him to sit when I am standing directly in front of him.

I tried 'sit' on our walk yesterday,as it was a very mild day, and he looked at me as if I was crazy, but he did do it, if only for a very brief couple of seconds!

We'll keep working on it indoors...and from the heel position... and in the New Year I think we will try some classes.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The instructors for the obedience classes I take my pups to are very big into rally so there's always a little in each class. Last year I had Tip in basic obedience, and when it came to rally he turned out to be the comic relief :rolleyes . Every time I'd ask him for a down, he'd sphinx then flop over on his side, flat out :lol .

All my hounds have really enjoyed doing rally, though we haven't done anything serious. I'm looking forward to more this winter.