Going In The House

Guest Johnpilot

Guest Johnpilot

All;

I had been posting under this thinking it was a dog door issue. The last two times I have been out and returned, I have parked in the driveway and come around the house to see if I can sneak in the back door to spy on the two of them. First time they were sound asleep with no messes but I was only gone for about 2 1/2 hours. Today after a full day of work, I come home and there lo and behold is the new guy on the dog bed on the patio asleep! I go inside and there is a mess... Obviously he uses the door as I caught him outside. My female has been with me for over two years and no messes in the house as she uses the door religiously.

I have been cleaning up the messes with 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar and then putting down dome stuff from the store that is supposed to eliminate the odor. I have tile, so there is no carpet to be worrying about. It sure smells clean to me (I realize they are a lot better with the ol' noses.)

Any thoughts on why?? It was a decent puddle, so I doubt this is marking.

John

Sorry if you've already said what you've done MEDICALLY.

Doesn't sound like a dog who is horribly stressed out, so I would be concerned about things like stones or infection. Suggest (if you haven't done so in the past couple of weeks) you take some urine to the vet for a urinalysis.

I feel your pain, believe me!

Been having issues with my guy on and off since I got him. Whatever his problem is does not show up on any tests, but clearly responds to antibiotics, so we're treating something new now.

But I spent about $3,000 on tests only to be told "there is nothing wrong" and yet every time he is given antibiotics, it stops. Go figure...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Johnpilot

Sorry if you've already said what you've done MEDICALLY.

Doesn't sound like a dog who is horribly stressed out, so I would be concerned about things like stones or infection. Suggest (if you haven't done so in the past couple of weeks) you take some urine to the vet for a urinalysis.

I feel your pain, believe me!

Been having issues with my guy on and off since I got him. Whatever his problem is does not show up on any tests, but clearly responds to antibiotics, so we're treating something new now.

But I spent about $3,000 on tests only to be told "there is nothing wrong" and yet every time he is given antibiotics, it stops. Go figure...

I came home yesterday at Noon and he was outside asleep on the patio bed. He came in when he heard me and about 2:30 I lay down in my office down the hall for 30 minutes. I came out at 3 and a huge puddle next to a chair... He made no noise, no dancing around, no pacing (I am pretty in tune with that behavior especially with a new guy) so I am at a loss.

I work in healthcare and things like antibiotics can "mess" with anyone's internal system as it kills all sorts of bacteria, and in humans antibiotics can cause some diarrhea as it kills the good bacteria too. He will get full check up next month with the vet, but he has no problems going, goes in my backyard, on all sorts of stuff on walks and has been holding it at night from 10 to 5 AM consistently for over a week now. I really don't think there is anything medically wrong. The urine has almost no smell and an infection would be much worse on the odor. He goes out for #2 and that is all consistent. I feel bad for him as I am sure he is not wanting to just be "goofy". Luckily the female takes it in stride and always goes out. If he hears her, he will trot over and go on top of her spot. Maybe I need to train her to take him out?

Guest FullMetalFrank

My new girl has been with us for about three months and the first month was perfect; no accidents inside. Then she became a little more comfortable in her new surroundings and I think stopped following what the other dogs were doing and decided to try her own way of doing things. She has absolutelt no potty cues; she does not like to do regular turnout when the other dogs do; and consequently we have had accidents. Our solution has been to go back to new GH 101; strict schedule, gently letting her know she doesn't have an option to not go out, praise like heck when she willingly goes out and does her business, etc... It's been a week now since we "cracked down" and today while I was home from work, I got the sweetest surprise, hearing my little girl go to the door right before turnout time and bark to be let out. The others joined her, they all went out together and pottied. Your new guy might just need to have you tell him when to go out for awhile, on a set schedule; get him used to always going out with his sister. Good luck!

Take a urine sample to the vet and get it checked. You can't always tell by smell, scent, holding overnight, etc. if there's a UTI, and it's really best to rule that out.

One thing I am wondering is, has he had any housetraining at all? The dog door is *available* to him, but it sounds like you may need to teach him that one goes outside periodically and relieves oneself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Johnpilot

Take a urine sample to the vet and get it checked. You can't always tell by smell, scent, holding overnight, etc. if there's a UTI, and it's really best to rule that out.

One thing I am wondering is, has he had any housetraining at all? The dog door is *available* to him, but it sounds like you may need to teach him that one goes outside periodically and relieves oneself.

He was adopted in January 2010, and then returned a while later as the family had a baby and he wanted to "play" with him and it scared the parents. He was then fostered until I got him a couple of weeks ago. The foster was on a routine of letting him out every 6 hours and they had no dog door. I pick up the yard before going to work and he goes #2 in the yard as there is stuff there and I can tell between his and the females, so I am assuming he "knows" that he can go outside #1 also. in the mornings, I now just go to the door and tap on it and say "Outside". After two or three repetitions, he goes through the door and I watch him do his thing, so he "gets" it in my mind.

There are four places he likes to go, so yesterday before I left I put some of my shoes in three of them and when I got home (I was gone from about 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM) they was a tiny spot on the only place I didn't have a shoe. He had dragged two of his towels from his bed to the bed on the patio and had torn them up as he likes to do when he plays, so I know he goes in and out. Today I covered all four places with shoes and we will see. I should add that when I am home, I try to make sure he goes out every 4 hours or so.

I will do a stool and urine work up at his appointment next month.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

John

Edited by Johnpilot