Neyla Update

Well I hope you're not all sick of my Neyla updates by now because this is a big one! Today marks 6 months since Neyla was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. I never in a million years thought we would make it this far, but here we are!! :yay:confetti

Neyla is doing well considering that her lesion has started to progress. I know many of you read my last update - I heard back later from our oncologist who reported that the progression of her lesion was not "substantial", which was a bit of positive news. Having said that, even with increased pain meds I am not happy with the level of pain management. It's good, but not ideal so on Tuesday I will be taking her in for an IV pamidronate treatment. I have spent most of my time since Tuesday second guessing my decision, but ultimately I believe it's our best shot at getting her really good pain management. The few studies that exist show it works for 30-40% of dogs - not the odds I would like, but it's a chance.

Anyway, today we are just celebrating! No second guessing and no worrying. Her best bud, Uncle Dave is coming over tonight and bringing her best doggie pal, Tasha and we will be having special treats - something from the local pet bakery for the dogs and a nice bottle of bubbly for the humans. :colgate Yesterday I had the day off from work so we drove out to a favorite hiking spot and I let Neyla walk on the trail briefly. It wasn't far, but she immediately forgot about any pain and started pulling on the leash like usual. It's 45-60 minutes each way and she spent much of that car ride with her nose up in the air and her eyes squinting closed in pure enjoyment. :)

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday:

SugarloafNov10018.jpg

SugarloafNov10024.jpg

SugarloafNov10021.jpg

And a pic from a recent "photo shoot" I did of her in the fall leaves. How can I not fall more deeply in love with her each time I look at those eyes even after 7 years together :wub::

NeylaFallLeavesOct2010Edit2.jpg

Thank you to each of you who has offered us support these last 6 months. I honestly could not have survived this without the support of everyone on this board.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Nov 15:

Well I thought I would avoid posting about this, but I can't help myself. I am a nervous wreck. I mean a total wreck, have been since this morning. Neyla's IV pamidronate treatment is tomorrow morning. We have to be at the vet's office at 10 am for an x-ray, blood work and urinalysis and assuming everything is a go, her treatment is supposed to start at 11. I know I'm overly anxious - most dogs tolerate the treatment very well even if it doesn't work, but I can't help it. What if this damages her kidneys? What if she's too stressed and we can't do the treatment, or I put her through a day of misery for nothing? What if the x-ray shows her lesion has progressed to the point that we're risking fracture? I'm going nuts! :riphair Trying to remind myself to take deep breaths, and at least I'm about to leave work so I can go home and spend the evening with my girl (and a bottle of vodka).

Anyway, if you could all spare some positive thoughts for her tomorrow I would really appreciate it. I have faith in the power of GT to help us get through this little bit after helping us through everything else so far. :hope

--------------------------------------------------

Update - Nov 16

We're back. It was a long day and I think we're both exhausted, but things went as well as we could have hoped. Neyla was stressed, but was calm enough that we felt comfortable proceeding and the staff was wonderful about accommodating us (ahem, me). She tolerated the treatment itself quite well, no strange reactions. She was checked out a bit when they brought her out to me, but as soon as we got home, she was playing with her favorite toy and digging up unfinished kongs for a thorough cleaning. :wub:

We also got one very good piece of news - her x-ray showed no significant progression of her lesion since her last x-ray 3 weeks ago! :yay

So now we wait, and hope it helps and her kidneys don't suffer any damage.

I came back to so many posts here and on FB offering support and encouragement and I am truly overwhelmed. I can't say thank you enough. We're going to chalk this up to a good day. :)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is a gorgeous gorgeous girl! And that last picture is calendar worthy! Or at least, print it big and frame it. I love all the pictures but the 2nd picture also stood out to me -- it looks like she's giggling at you! She's so happy.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I'm happy to hear that Neyla is still doing well and it sounds like you are giving her as much love and fun each and every day as you can. Many hugs to you both!

What a beautiful way to celebrate such a special anniversary. Neyla's story is amazing and inspirational.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

How wonderful she looks!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest TBSFlame

6 months is wonderful. She reminds me so much of my Star with that white face. Those memories you are making will help you in the more difficult times to come.

Guest grey_dreams

Congratulations! :confetti

You've done a great job with her care and treatment! I'm so happy she's doing so well. The photos are wonderful, she looks really happy!

Such great news today! :confetti:yay:confetti I'm so glad that the weather was nice enough for you to be able to enjoy it together, Jen. 6 months and still doing well is really awesome, and I hope that you have much more great time together. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Wonderful news and great pictures - Neyla looks so happy.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest racergirl435

I was a little nervous to open this thread. Now I've got tears of happiness in my eyes. I'm so happy for you both. She is a beautiful beautiful soul, as are you. It is so obvious how much you love her. I hope the treatment on Tuesday helps her improve so she can spend at least another 6 months with you.

Many many hugs to you Jen.

Jess

I am so happy for both of you! She looks so happy to be out in the woods again and the pictures are lovely.

I was hoping the news would be good!

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest PhillyPups

:yay Congrats on Six months - each day is a gift and you have had over 180 days of gifts with beautiful Neyla - who adores you as much as you do her - it shows when she looks at you.

Thank you Jen for letting us share the journey with you. :kiss2

I keep Neyla in my prayers. :hope

Jen, I LOVE that you have photos of the two of you together, and they are gorgeous. :wub: Thank you for the wonderful update and sharing your walk-in-the-leaves with us. Keep up the good work, girl. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

i had just thought of you this morning and opened up gt to post a CONGRATS NEYLA on "the thread". jen she is SO beautiful and looks so happy. Thank you, Neyla and Jen for your help, support, tips, etc. - you are an inspiration and deserve a very special celebration!!!! i, too, will drink a toast this evening to the beautiful neyla and jen -- Happy 6 months anniversary!