How Much Hot Dog...

I started clicker training Tracker and clearly hot dogs work by far the best. He vacuums them up, though. So far I've given ca 2/3 of one a day, and they're organic ones w/o lots of gross stuff in them. But still, there's salt and onion powder and the likes. His tummy has been fine with the amount so far, but I could easily feed him times as much during sessions. But that seems to be a bit crazy. Any thoughts?

I use cheese and dried meat treats, too, but they don't generate as much enthusiasm.

My vet doesn't recommend hotdogs because of the fat, can you get low fat hotdogs?

Cut them into tiny bits- that's what I used to do when I needed them for obedience class for Passion.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

You could probably lower the fat in the hot dogs by microwaving pieces. I have a microwave bacon crisper and have done that by spreading them on paper towels on the crisper. Might take a bit more watching without one.

I know it is totally too pedestrian for most but the one thing that turns heads here is the Hollywood liver treats at Wal-Mart, They would all stand on their heads for them. I know they are not organic or by product free but are OK in my book as a high value treat. :blush They are sort of hard to find on the shelves as they are usually behind one of those hang thngs but you could cut the pencil eraser size treats in half and probably not kill your dog. .

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Houndstown

Turkey dogs are a good option too. They taste just like regular hot dogs but don't have as many biproducts, fat, etc. We humans even eat these at our house (when we have cookouts and such) so we don't have to buy anything special for the dogs.

I use turkey dogs or low fat beef hot dogs. But also, for training all you need are really, really tiny pieces . . . I slice the hot dog thinly, then cut each round in half (well actually, I cut the hot dog in half the long way and then slice it up), and if I'm in an intensive training session with lots and lots of rewards sometimes even into quarters.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If it's not upsetting his stomach I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you're cutting back on his kibble some so he doesn't gain weight.

I do something similar to prairieprof, I slice lengthwise into quarters, then I very thinly slice crosswise. This will make a ton of pieces, which I then spread out on a papertowel and microwave until they're getting crispy and the edges are coloring. Remove, cool, store in fridge in plastic bag.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i double boil them to reduce the sodium and fat, boil once, drain, boil again, dice into quarters. the hardest thing about hot dogs is when you hold them in your mouth( i do that so the dog will focus on you and not the dog in your hand) and you have to resist eating the tasty morsel! try spitting the dog at your pup. he might learn to catch the flying treat!

Guest BiancasMom

I would worry about pancreatitis because hot dogs are so fatty. Also, onions are toxic for dogs. I would consider the turkey dogs as others have mentioned.

I guess if you feed them a couple packs a day I'd worry about pancreatis, :unsure but one or two every few days, I don't worry about,,, I too just reduce the add-ins in their routine meals the days they eat hot dogs :)

Mine are very upset that this thread may mean the end of their hotdogs. They get about one or 2 a week, just as a yummy treat. :gmark

Ditto in this house!!! I think I sense panic in JJ and Dustin!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest blankdog

This thread makes me think of my father-in-law. He has a boston terrier and a miniature poodle. Every morning he gives them each a hot dog of their own for "breakfast" !! Now I think thats DEFINITELY over doing it! ;) Thats about a pack a week atleast!

My girl doesnt seem to care for hotdogs as much but goes CRAZY for cheese. I always just remember to give her less kibble for dinner if shes had a lot of treats that day. You can also boil some chicken and cut it into small pieces.