What Labs Should A Grey Have To Diagnose Cancer

Guest avadogner

... She is taking Rimadyl and arthritis supplements for her hips ...

-ava and augie's mum

Rimadyl makes many dogs terminally ill and can cause rapid death from internal bleeding.

SOME dogs have become ill and died from Rimadyl. Most of those dogs had undiagnosed underlying conditions. That's why they now do routine and periodic bloodwork for dogs on Rimadyl and Deramaxx.

Many drugs, including Rimadyl, can cause upset stomach. And so can supplements. There are no scientific studies that prove nutriceuticals do much of anything. I'd be included to stop both and see what happens.

I'm with you on your point about nsaids, but this statement is a gross generalization and also untrue. Probably a somewhat tangential point, but I couldn't let it go. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Many drugs, including Rimadyl, can cause upset stomach. And so can supplements. There are no scientific studies that prove nutriceuticals do much of anything. I'd be included to stop both and see what happens.

Another good point! Not that they don't do anything (I have empirical evidence here that says they do, and dogs don't say 'I feel better' because they think they should) but some supplements can upset delicate stomachs. Jack couldn't tolerate Plaque-Off, it made him vomit every single time. I also couldn't give him supplements containing MSM, which is apparently famous for upsetting sensitive stomachs. You might try cutting that one out to begin with - and also any herbal supplements you are using. Some of them can be useful, but some can also work against you. They are all substances which a body may react badly to, and speaking as a lifelong allergy sufferer, I know how a minute quantity of something that is 'good' for you can really screw you up.

I think in Ava's case, I'd cut out anything which wasn't straightforward bland food. Start at the beginning with chicken and rice, or fish and rice, and work your way up, one protein at a time. It's hard to do in a healthy dog, and it is twice as hard in a dog who isn't eating to start with, but it might be the only way to find out what's upsetting her.

I can see that you are a knowledgeable, very caring 'Mom', and I wish you the best of luck in getting to the bottom of this.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest grey_dreams

SOME dogs have become ill and died from Rimadyl. Most of those dogs had undiagnosed underlying conditions. That's why they now do routine and periodic bloodwork for dogs on Rimadyl and Deramaxx.

"Of all the ADE reports CVM received in 1998, thirty-nine percent (39%) or 3626 involved Rimadyl®. The number of ADE reports received by CVM for Rimadyl® is considerably more than that received for other animal drugs... The adverse effects in these reports are consistent with those expected for NSAIDs. They typically involve the gastrointestinal system, renal/urinary system, hematopoietic (blood) system, neurological system, and the liver. Approximately 13% of the 1998 Rimadyl® ADE reports for dogs involved death of the dog, either on their own or by means of euthanasia."

If 39% of children given a drug became ill and 13% of children died after taking the drug, would you still be so complacent???

And supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin don't cause 39% of dogs to become severely ill and 13% of dogs to die.

I was glad that my instinct made me stop giving Zuki Rimadyl when he became ill after only 3 days. He got bloodwork before, and he always took it after a meal. If I hadn't stopped and continued giving it to him as the vet prescribed, he might have been one of those statistics of "only 13%"

My mother was taking Vioxx (another NSAID) for her arthritis. She started to have heart palpitations and severe gastrointestinal problems. Vioxx has now been withdrawn from the market. Did it relieve her pain while she was taking it? Yes, especially in the beginning. Was she glad to trade her heart and digestive tract for that pain relief? No.

- and also any herbal supplements you are using. Some of them can be useful, but some can also work against you. They are all substances which a body may react badly to, and speaking as a lifelong allergy sufferer, I know how a minute quantity of something that is 'good' for you can really screw you up.

I think in Ava's case, I'd cut out anything which wasn't straightforward bland food. Start at the beginning with chicken and rice, or fish and rice, and work your way up, one protein at a time. It's hard to do in a healthy dog, and it is twice as hard in a dog who isn't eating to start with, but it might be the only way to find out what's upsetting her.

Another allergy sufferer here. I agree 100% with the above. Allergies can also crop up at any time.

An interesting example is flax seed. A highly recommended ingredient for dogs in general. I developed a terrible allergy to it myself just a few years ago and now cannot tolerate the tiniest amount. I can't even touch it.

I noticed that Natural Balance came out with a new flavor of kibble called Bison something or other. The ingredients were identical to their other kibble except the elimination of flax seed. I called and asked them why they did that and was told that some dogs have the allergy as well. For them to create a whole new kibble, there must have been some significant problems for the few dogs affected.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

I hope you are able to make some headway with your dear Ava at the vet. Of course, you want to target the problem(s) and not throw money/ testing at them. There are some good suggestions here but always discuss with your vet. So, I hope you trust your vet. My regular vet is not really vet savvy but they usually have very logical thought processes about how to tackle the issue step by step.

I hope she keeps eating: it has to be one of the most frustrating feelings we greyhound owners face. I suppose the one good thing is that you are completely aware that there is a problem. Some hounds are so stoic, they will not let on that they truly are sick until it is too painful to deny. To sum up my random statements, I am sending good thoughts for a quick diagnosis and a successful healing time! Do keep us posted...we ALL care!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Any updates? How is Ava doing these days, is she back to eating normally? Did you ever run any tests?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."