Why Won't She Eat

Guest buttonwillow

Guest buttonwillow

Josie seems fine, she runs around like normal and enjoys her walks but she isn't eating as much as usual. Her weight is fine and recently she may have put on a pound or so but I can still see her ribs and a few spine bumps.

Have I spoiled her by giving her chicken with her food? She won't eat the chicken now and is starting to turn up her nose at the string cheese she loves.

She eats maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the food I give her - 2 cups of Kirkland dry with half a can of wet, mixed with a chicken thigh or half a breast or some cheese.

Am I worrying too much?

This started when I moved her crate out of the living room as she was only using it to eat in and no longer has any interest in crating (she much prefers the couch). I was trying to get her to eat outside the crate too, but when that didn't work too well I moved the crate back. She, however, has not gotten over the terrible trauma yet.

She gets that (2 cups of kibble plus wet food plus chicken) twice a day every day??

Might simply be too much food. Unless she's *very* active or working really hard at something like training for a marathon, that's a lot of food. Even if that's the total amount for one day, it might be too much. My four get (twice a day) 1 cup of kibble plus one spoon of canned plus one spoon of yogurt (with enough water to make gravy). Everyone holds their weight well and eats well every meal. They do get plenty of treats, including some people food once in a while, but it's only a bite or two.

Since kibble is better for their teeth and has more bulk, I would cut back the canned food and extra chicken right away.

The other idea is that some greys just eat less in winter. Don't know why, they just do - hybernating thing maybe.

As long as she is eating, drinking, going potty, and acting right - and holding her weight at a good level, NOT overweight - I wouldn't be *too* concerned. You should be able to see her back three ribs pretty clearly, and have a nice tuck up in front of her hind legs. Some greys also show some spine on the tail side of the middle and that's totally normal and natural.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest lanielovesgreys

I have the same problem. If it IS a problem. Laika gets 4 cups a day, too. And I've been giving her ensure. I can see both hip points clearly and at least 4 of her ribs. Is there a chance she just looks that way? I don't know the answer.

ETA she's had a full thyroid panel (I insisted, the vet thought nothing was wrong), and a fecal test. Normal, normal.

Edited by lanielovesgreys

Guest 4dogscrazy

Piper is like that too! My vet calls it "skinny greyhound syndrome" meaning there is no reason...they just are. We've checked out everything too, I've given up :)

If she doesn't want to eat, I wouldn't make her eat. She could have a little GI thing right now and may not be feeling well. Make sure she has water and let her skip a couple meals.

Guest IrskasMom

You are not alone as you can see. My Morty has been a good Eater , I would say the last 2 Weeks. Today he is all curled up and has not looked at his Dinner. He is skinny , but not worrysome skinny. I hope tomorrow he is more hungry again.He is just very picky and twice in a Row the same Food...NO Way. :blink:

Guest buttonwillow

Yes now that you point it out, she was eating just 2 cups of dry food twice a day at the rescue (when i got her in July), I have been adding food b/c I thought she was skinny. So probably it's too much food. She is fine otherwise, everything else normal. She had a vet checkup recently and all was well. I guess I have a fear of her starving to death but that is clearly my own issues!

ps. she is an excellent dog. she is sweet and cuddles up next to me at night and tries to take over the couch in the evenings, shoving her nose in my husband's armpit. she's much loved here and i hope she is happy.

Edited by buttonwillow

Guest avadogner

Josie's mum,

I've been having similar problems with my Ava. See my many posts. I hope it's just an issue of missing her kennel/dining room. I fight every day to get food in Ava. I'm beginning to think maybe kidney failure. We had a good vet exam in August but I'm having her labs rechecked next monday. I've got 14 cans of pumpkin that Ava and Augie refuse to eat (see my thread). I'll keep Josie in my prayers and hope your girl will eat better for you. We changed from ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach to Blue Buffalo Grain Free Salmon because it has more calories per cup than the ProPlan did. The ProPlan was $33 a bag and the BB is $42 for an equal size bag. It's worth every penny since it has more calories. We also added dietary enzymes to increase her absorb more by 30% and added Brewers Yeast to her meals. Brewers Yeast is high in calories, protein and tons of nutrients. it's a powder that taste like cheese. I found a big can at my local organic food market for about $27. I picked up some lactofree vanilla flavored Ensure Plus (the plus has 100 more calories than the regular per serving. I'm going to try it with her tomorrow. Ava likes Dogsters dog lactofree ice cream so I may try turning it into ice cream for her. I hope your Josie will eat better for you soon!

-ava and augie's mum

Summer is happy and healthy and eats a lot less than that. She gets 2 cups of TOTW in the morning. Dinner in the evening is 1/2 can of dog meat (11 oz. or thereabouts), with a teaspoon of salmon oil. She gets treats but not too many. I don't really know how to tell if a greyhound is active or not :P however, she runs with other greyhounds 3 or 4 times a week, does almost daily zoomies in the back yard and plays about every other day with her lure pole.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest buttonwillow

I hope Ava is just picky and her health checks out next week!

I gave Josie a cup of dry food this morning and a hot dog and she snarfed it right up. Tonight I'll try 2 cups dry.

I think she is a little skinny but I guess that's how they are sometimes.

If you want to add the chicken and other add things, decrease her food a little. It's absolutely normal to see a few back bones and a couple of ribs on a greyhound. Check her weight, she may be at just the right weight which shouldn't be more than 5 lbs. over her racing weight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our senior grey, EZ, is a finicky eater and has been since we got him - but is getting worse. Whatever foods we use to entice him only last for so long and then we have to come up with something else because he turns his nose up....and yes, he is thin-built to begin with - so this does not help. Lately I buy beef gravy and mix it with warm water and pour it over the kibble. But unless there is something else mixed in, chances are he won't eat it.....i.e. a couple of pieces of hot dog, chicken, leftovers, tuna fish (which he loves), etc.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.