How Can I Get My Girls Certified?

I have always had a heart for the much older people. I would LOVE to take my girls to nursing homes so the residents may pet them and enjoy their company I know Bella and Angel would just love love love it. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I live in Alabama. Thanks

Edited by LadyGrey

Guest greybookends

There are several people here with certified greys and I am sure they will chime in, but I have one question for you before you get to far into this. Do you feed raw or kibble? If you feed kibble you are fine to go for certification but if you feed raw than be aware that recently several groups recently banned raw fed hounds.

Guest Houndstown

We used to take ours even though they weren't certified. It wasn't exactly "legal" but I worked it out with one of the places where I live because I knew a few of the residents. Greyhounds are typically harder to get certified because a lot of them don't sit. Our boy Justin loved to go, but he just didn't sit so he never could qualify. If both of your girls sit, then you should be okay (once you find someone to certify them). If not, you may want to try the other, not so "legal" way. I know someone here in NC that does certification. I'll try to see if she knows of anyone down your way.

Edited by Houndstown

Summer just passed her evaluation the other week. Although I can't help you with US certification, I can give you a link where you can see the evaluation test that Summer had to do, which may help you. I've noticed, FYI, that the US therapy dogs all seem to have their Canine Good Citizen certification -- perhaps it's mandatory down there? It isn't in Canada. Here's the link to the Therapeutic Paws of Canada evaluation exam: TPOC Evaluation.

In preparation, I took Summer everywhere I could. I've always taken her into pet stores but I started taking her other places. Our local Home Depot has always allowed dogs, so in we went. I also took her into Staples and, much to my surprise, Bed Bath & Beyond allowed it. Summer had to overcome a bit of shiny floor phobia and she's really good now. While in Home Depot, I tested her reaction to loud noises by having hubby "accidentally" knock over things like ductwork, LOL. And in Staples, I would deliberately set her up to be startled at the end of an aisle by someone whipping around the corner with a shopping cart.

Good luck and I think greyhounds are wonderfully suited for therapy work. Such gentle, loving, calm souls! (well, most that I've met, anyway).

Oh, and your dogs will need to have toenails of a reasonable length, clean coats, clean ears... not too difficult for a grey! And they absolutely must NOT put their feet on people. If you are doing the nursing home with disabled seniors who require nursing care... then make sure your grey doesn't lean on them. Your pup could knock them over!

Good luck again!

Edit.: Regarding the sitting... our local therapy groups excuse the greys from that. Our groups do not test for obedience per se but for temperament. As long as greyhounds stand quietly whenever the sit command would normally be used, greys here are passed. And since they are NEVER to be unleashed while on the job... there is no test for recall (thankfully!).

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

There are several people here with certified greys and I am sure they will chime in, but I have one question for you before you get to far into this. Do you feed raw or kibble? If you feed kibble you are fine to go for certification but if you feed raw than be aware that recently several groups recently banned raw fed hounds.

They have always eaten kibble. Thanks for the information.

We used to take ours even though they weren't certified. It wasn't exactly "legal" but I worked it out with one of the places where I live because I knew a few of the residents. Greyhounds are typically harder to get certified because a lot of them don't sit. Our boy Justin loved to go, but he just didn't sit so he never could qualify. If both of your girls sit, then you should be okay (once you find someone to certify them). If not, you may want to try the other, not so "legal" way. I know someone here in NC that does certification. I'll try to see if she knows of anyone down your way.

They dont sit, but they do do the spinx. Mostly lay down. Thanks

Summer just passed her evaluation the other week. Although I can't help you with US certification, I can give you a link where you can see the evaluation test that Summer had to do, which may help you. I've noticed, FYI, that the US therapy dogs all seem to have their Canine Good Citizen certification -- perhaps it's mandatory down there? It isn't in Canada. Here's the link to the Therapeutic Paws of Canada evaluation exam: TPOC Evaluation.

In preparation, I took Summer everywhere I could. I've always taken her into pet stores but I started taking her other places. Our local Home Depot has always allowed dogs, so in we went. I also took her into Staples and, much to my surprise, Bed Bath & Beyond allowed it. Summer had to overcome a bit of shiny floor phobia and she's really good now. While in Home Depot, I tested her reaction to loud noises by having hubby "accidentally" knock over things like ductwork, LOL. And in Staples, I would deliberately set her up to be startled at the end of an aisle by someone whipping around the corner with a shopping cart.

Good luck and I think greyhounds are wonderfully suited for therapy work. Such gentle, loving, calm souls! (well, most that I've met, anyway).

Oh, and your dogs will need to have toenails of a reasonable length, clean coats, clean ears... not too difficult for a grey! And they absolutely must NOT put their feet on people. If you are doing the nursing home with disabled seniors who require nursing care... then make sure your grey doesn't lean on them. Your pup could knock them over!

Good luck again!

Edit.: Regarding the sitting... our local therapy groups excuse the greys from that. Our groups do not test for obedience per se but for temperament. As long as greyhounds stand quietly whenever the sit command would normally be used, greys here are passed. And since they are NEVER to be unleashed while on the job... there is no test for recall (thankfully!).

Wow, this really is fantastic information here. I will look into this. Hopefully they will welcome us with open arms. The two small country towns here will seem more lenient.

They nh where I work is very pet friendly and doesn't require pet visitors to be certified.. The 3 nh's that my grandma has lived in didn't require it either.

I would just pick a nh, call them and ask what they require.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Nixon, my Greyhound, is waiting to have his test.

My other two non-grey dogs have both been certified for years. I am in Ontario and we get it done throught St John Ambulance.

Sitting is not a requirement.

The above post by Ownded by Summer is great.

The home we go to does not require certification and Nixon has been there a few times and he was wonderful.

Call a local home and ask what their requirements are.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

There are quite a few groups for you to investigate for certification: Therapy Dogs International, Therapy Dogs Inc., Delta Society, for example. Delta Society has the most stringent requirements of the three. Therapy Dog International's test is an extension of the Canine Good Citizen test, which requires a sit. However, TDI doesn't require the sit, so, it is possible to pass the TDI test, but not get the CGC along with it. Therapy Dogs Inc. requires an evaluator to accompany you on 3 visits, and then determines if the dog is able to be certified. If you live in a rural area, many 4H programs have a certification. There are any number of "local" programs that certify. It is my belief that the key part of the certification is the insurance that you and the dog carry if you are certified. If a facility has some sort of a pet therapy program, you could probably join in without certification, since the facility carries the insurance. However, if the facility doesn't, then you would have to carry your own. My dogs did a reading program in a local library---just me and my dogs, and they were wearing their own insurance. In the past, we visited a long-term care facility which had their own "Puppy Pals" program, and some of the dogs were certified, some not. My local VA hospital just requires proof of up to date shots. My local hospital requires certification. I've had at least one of my greys certified since I got my first grey 14 years ago. We were privileged to visit Pier 94 and Liberty State Park Family Assistance Centers after 9/11. We have visited in nursing homes, long term care facilities, a locked mental health ward, and done our own read-to-a-dog program. I am currently doing visits to my local hospital. I have met some incredibly interesting people along the way, and humbly have brought joy or a moment's peace to many individuals. I have some wonderful memories. Whichever route you end up taking, I can assure you that it will be a rewarding journey.

I have had two dogs certified by Therapy Dogs International. It is a plus that the greys don't have to sit (although mine do so it wouldn't have been a problem). After my first was certified I started contacting local nursing homes and found out many in my area do not require your dog to be certified. Personally, I like that my dogs have passed the test. They know how I expect them to behave and I have confidence in their willingness to do it.

june

Guest shanesmom

Elton is certified through Therapy Dogs International. The nursing homes I have been in contact with around here require this. It was not too difficult of a test for him. He does not sit and did not have to. He was able to lay down and stay instead which he does when asked.

Guest avadogner

Hi LadyGrey,

I am in Birmingham and looked into having my girl Ava certified a few years ago. I used to be a RN at Children's and NICU nurse at Brookwood. I wanted to take Ava to dialysis clinics since I'm waiting for a kidney transplant. The Delta Society is the organization here that does the testing and certifies your dog to do Hand in Paw work. They have a website with all the specs and info on it. The criteria is a little tough but doable. My grey couldn't pass the part where i leave her with a stranger and leave the room. She cried and kept trying to follow me out. We never actually tested with Delta Society because I couldn't get her past that trick in our training. I know St. Martin in the Pines allows pet visitors since our church does The Blessing of the Pets Ceremony (Episcopal Church blessing ceremony) there and and our Ava has always been a hit there on the blessing day. I am hoping to train my new boy Augie to do therapy work. He has only been with us for 7 wks now so he has a way to go on his obedience training. Let me know what happens. Would you be interested in restarting the B'ham play group? GoingRogue and I are trying to find interested parents to restart the play group. I hope this helps.

-ava and augie's mum

here's a site that lists some of the therapy dog programs and Alabama is on the top of the list

http://landofpuregold.com/rxb.htm

THanks for the link. I have it in my favorites.

Hi LadyGrey,

I am in Birmingham and looked into having my girl Ava certified a few years ago. I used to be a RN at Children's and NICU nurse at Brookwood. I wanted to take Ava to dialysis clinics since I'm waiting for a kidney transplant. The Delta Society is the organization here that does the testing and certifies your dog to do Hand in Paw work. They have a website with all the specs and info on it. The criteria is a little tough but doable. My grey couldn't pass the part where i leave her with a stranger and leave the room. She cried and kept trying to follow me out. We never actually tested with Delta Society because I couldn't get her past that trick in our training. I know St. Martin in the Pines allows pet visitors since our church does The Blessing of the Pets Ceremony (Episcopal Church blessing ceremony) there and and our Ava has always been a hit there on the blessing day. I am hoping to train my new boy Augie to do therapy work. He has only been with us for 7 wks now so he has a way to go on his obedience training. Let me know what happens. Would you be interested in restarting the B'ham play group? GoingRogue and I are trying to find interested parents to restart the play group. I hope this helps.

-ava and augie's mum

It seems that the Therapy Dogs International is the least stringent - however, I will ask the nursing homes in Decatur and Hartselle if they require a certification. But I want the girls to be certified so if we travel around to other areas, we are covered. Thanks for your info here. You mentioned the play group? Sounds great!! I would love to get things going in the Huntsville area. No one has Greyhound activities nor exposure up here. I need to contact Mc Gregors - unless you are part ot them. :)

Sabrina is a therapy dog thru TD Inc. She was tested 3 times by a TD tester. TD Inc can be reached at www.therapydogs.com. It lists the testers under contacts, there is also an application you can download. The cost is $30.OO(USA) a year. There is an $10.00 processing fee for the 1st time. The $30 is ins for your dog. If there is no tester within 40 miles of where you live you can call them at 1-877-843-7364 & make arrangements with their alternative committee.

Sabrina also goes to the local hospital. 1st she had to be an approved therapy dog. Than I applied had to give them my ss#. I was checked out & than we were approved.

We also go to a local elementary school for their reading program. We didnt need any additional approval for that.

The school knew the hospital had therapy dogs & went thru

the hospital for their program.

It is a lot of fun especially the reading program

Good luck to you & your girls, Sabrina & her mom

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mirinaaronsmom

Both of my hounds were/are registered with Therapy Dogs Inc. Because Aaron could/would sit, he earned his CGC, but it wasn't required for therapy dog work. He loved to go to the nursing home, but Miri loves doing the READ program at the library since she LOVES kids. Our local library requires the dogs to be registered therapy dogs for insurance purposes. Greyhounds are perfect for therapy dog work - just the right height for people with walkers and wheelchairs. Everyone adores them when they come to the nursing home (we go every Sunday) and all are impressed with their quiet, patient demeanor. And it's a great feeling to bring someone some joy. Good for you for checking into this - there is such a need for more therapy dogs.

Phyllis and Miriam (and Aaron, gone but still loved)