Pawing Up His Bed

Guest Johnpilot

Guest Johnpilot

A new behavior last night; I was awakened to hear him pawing at his bed like a horse pawing at the ground. After a few strokes at it I hushed him and he stopped. He later did it again and now has actually put a tear into the bed itself. He gets some old towels and a shirt to put on top of the bed, but then all of a sudden he will either paw them off or push them off with his nose and then start pawing the bed. It is a nice foam encased bed from Petsmart and don't know why he would be pawing it up?

He touches/chews nothing else in the house.

John

He's fluffing it up :) Some just do it more than others.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

both of our girls do this.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

He's a "nester." You will find the darndest things added to the nest, and it can never be fluffy enouh.:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

If he's doing it in the middle of the night he might be cold and need jammies. :)

Excellent point. Our boy sleeps through the night with a coat or jammies on. Without - not so much - lots of nesting and moving around.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Swifthounds

It's nesting. I find that putting anything somewhat thin (like a shirt or a fleece blanket) actually encourages nesting. If I want to put something over a bed either to add cusion or for easy cleaning and/or to protect the bed, I usually go with something heavier like a conforter or quilted fabric.

If you don't want him to nest, or want him to nest less, interrupt him and reward him when he stops. Also, fluffing beds periodically will keep them more to a hound's liking. My hounds all know that they can use their paw to flip the bed to fluff it, but that digging to nest is a no-no. Another solution is to give inexpensive comforters instead of a bed, as they can move it around as much as they want for desired fluffiness without pawing in the middle as with a bed.

Also, keeping the nails dremeled short cuts down on rips and tears.

Guest avadogner

Our houndies do it to the point their nails pull snags in the fabric. They are just refluffing the bed. When they lay there as much as they do, the stuffing moves out to the edges unless the inner bed is bathed (a sewing term which usually is only seen on high end down comforters and duvets). I occasionally pick the beds up and fluff them to redistribut the stuffing. It drives my Ava crazy to mess up how hard she worked to get it her way but Augie seems happy. It cuts down on the digging on the bed. They'll still circle it a thousand times. That's ingrained wolf behaviour from making beds in high grasses to lay them down into a softer bed. My Ava can circle for forever sometimes. She also turns her blankets into pillows in the process. She's OCD like her mummy so she will work for a while getting that blanket turned into the best pillow possible.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest Bang_o_rama

It could be worse; in cold weather, if she has dislodged her blanket during her running dreams, Bang paws OUR bed (or us) until one of us gets up and re-covers her.

~D~

I currently have a large rip in the bottom sheet on MY bed. I try to remember to close the gate to the bedrooms when I go out, but often forget on the weekends! I also have a tear in my couch cushion. The dogs have made their own beds just the way they like them, but feel that mine need more work.

If he's doing it in the middle of the night he might be cold and need jammies. :)

Excellent point. Our boy sleeps through the night with a coat or jammies on. Without - not so much - lots of nesting and moving around.

I've been thinking this too - seems like we're seeing a definite increase in the frequency and intensity :D of our boy's nesting behavior now that the cold weather has arrived.

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Forgot to add my favorite nesting-discouraging tool - multiple well-matched hounds! They snuggle with each other for warmth and comfort.

That's what works here, especially in the winter. It's not unusual to find quite of few of mine all piled together.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My little peanut girl, Gracie, is the serious nester in our family. I found her in a pile of sheets, blankets, and comforter one day. She had actually taken all the sheets off the bed and wound them around into a nest :lol I only have 2 pillows for the dogs, the rest are quilts that I layer. That way, they can fuss around until they are happy. I also have jammies for them. It does cut down on the nesting.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

do you ever re- adjust your pillow or blankets at night. It's sort of the same thing with dogs. I always know when a certain someone has been sleeping in my bed when I find my cover blanket all in a wad.

Those foam beds with the cover do NOT last, so accept it now--he's going to ruin it!

You need something much more durable with a nester.

I find that the Costco (Kirkland) beds are pretty durable and dirt cheap. So I don't get bent out of shape when he inevitably ruins it.

I give George a blanket or a comforter to "fluff" and that seems to satisfy his urge to nest.

On the plus side, it's probably a sign that he's feeling more and more at home!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest goofydog

Get Em is a nester too. I've found the Costco beds to be the most durable yet extremely affordable. On his one foam bed I put a comforter from the thrift store on top and he gets his 'nesting' fix by fluffing that. When he spends the night at GTer Kudzu's house she calls him her 'turndown service'. After Laura gets all the beds ready for the hounds he will go from one to the next nesting them into nice fluffy balls for everyone :lol Now I just need to teach him to leave a mint on the pillow :P

Guest Johnpilot

Those foam beds with the cover do NOT last, so accept it now--he's going to ruin it!

You need something much more durable with a nester.

I find that the Costco (Kirkland) beds are pretty durable and dirt cheap. So I don't get bent out of shape when he inevitably ruins it.

I give George a blanket or a comforter to "fluff" and that seems to satisfy his urge to nest.

On the plus side, it's probably a sign that he's feeling more and more at home!

I put down a old full-sized blanket and he seemed to love that. During the day the bedroom is off limits as it is carpeted and the rest of the house is tile, so I will have to look into a more sturdy bed for him. Too many things on his bed and the female steals them and they end up with her. She sleeps on the couch at night and never comes to the bedroom, so maybe there is still some what is mine is mine and don't come near it stuff.

I have never seen them fight over anything though. He just gets out of the way and lets her do what she wants to do.

a comforter is the way to go, just plop it on top of the bed and maybe add a toss pillow or two. the pup will be very happy! :rolleyes:

annie drags her bed around the house, i think just to irritate dh who is always moving it back. she finds pillows and carries them to the bed and then is very happy. of course, dh puts the pillows aways and moves the bed, just so she can do it again :lol

oh, do put a pastic bag inside the foam bed, just incase there is a marking accident! our foam bed is a good 6 or 7 years old, the liner(plastic bag) has saved it's life a couple of times.

Guest happygrey

I thought the same. Bentley is a terrific nester and definitely does it more when he's chilly. Now he sleeps with his sweater on at night and the nesting and wrestling around in the middle of the night has virtually stopped. Your boy may need some jammies!

Guest Sweetreba

My boy Petey is the nester. I find if I pad the crate or his bed in the other room and put an old quilt or blanket on top he will just push the blanket around. I read somewhere that they like to build up the sides cause it keeps the draft away and is warmer. I fluff them up but he sometimes will do it right after to get it the way he likes it. Also I found when it is cool they prefer blankets which I use in the winter and the cotton quilts in the summer. I use the quilts for the under padding with blankets on top. Now that the weather is cooler he is wearing his jammies (mine like the sleep blankets that look like a coat but flannel) and he does it much less and sleeps really sound with them on. Try the jammies and you may have a lot less of the digging. My girl would never wear them but when I got Petey who loves them she now waits for me to put hers on too. They really do influence each other.