X-Rays

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

I decided to take my girl Peace to the vet and demand some xrays...she has a limp that comes and goes and has been doing this since I got her as a bounce three years ago. This time her limp is not responding to Novox, the limp is bad when she first gets up after resting and she walks it off quick. My question, how often is it safe to xray? and can they xray my girl without putting her under?? I ask because she has terrible teeth and gets a dental every 6-8 months..she is not due for another dental for a couple more months..every time she has a dental, they xray because of her limping. I do not want to put her under if possible but I am afraid because this limp is more pronounced then her usual limp. She will soon be nine.

Thanks for reading~

Edited by peacehound

I've heard of some pups with suspected osteo can receive x-rays almost every month until diagnosis. If I were as concerned as you sound, I would have the x-rays done and have them read by a radiologist.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

George got no anesthesia for his x-rays. Most greyhounds will stand still enough they don't need them.

He had x-rays and then the vet insisted they be repeated in two weeks, and she said if there was any change at all in that period, she'd want them again in two more weeks--but only because he's a greyhound.

Thankfully there was nothing on the first two sets, so we moved on to other possibile issues and discovered it was "only" a spine issue.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Wasserbuffel

My vet has never put any of my animals under for X-rays. I've had several ducks need them and thos guys don't stay still like greys, but they're awake the whole time for it. ( I think they wrap them in a towl and lay them on their backs or something)

When Rainy had her paw done they just gave her some relaxing drugs (cannot remember the name...) and she was out of it for the rest of the night, but was able to walk to the car afterward. She does not do well with people physically manipulating her so the drugs were needed, but she wasn't put under or anything. She was still aware of everything going on.

------

Jessica

It is rare for my vet to allow unsedated xrays. I don't think any of mine would be cooperative without it. The exception was Thane but that may have been because he was so close to death, and then left us.

Have you checked for corns? What part of the body are they xraying? It should be the whole limb and some spine.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

With my vets it has depended on the dog and on which x-rays were being done, but I don't think anyone has been put under for x rays. Rex was very mellow so for most of his he was awake, but for a few where they needed to put him in funky positions they heavily sedated him, but did not put him under with gas.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg