Dry Hacking Cough Only Outside In Cold

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

It's turned really cold here starting yesterday. During our pre-breakfast walk this morning, Zariel started a dry hacking cough and trying to wretch something up. I thought he got a small piece of cookie I had just given him caught in his throat. But he kept coughing and hacking during our whole 25 min walk. I was stopping and rubbing his throat and trying to help him but it didn't work. As soon as we got back home where it is warm he stopped. During the mid-day walk + offleash run he was fine. Now it's already dark and cold again, and we just went out for the pre-dinner walk. He immediately started coughing and hacking again. I limited the walk to 15 minutes. As soon as we got back home and warm he stopped.

Last winter, his first winter out of Spain, he didn't react like this to the cold. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause a cold-induced dry hacking cough?

Cold air exercize-induced asthma is very likely what it is. In some dogs the cold air alters the airways in ways that alter the maetabloism.

That sometimes even happens to me when going out from a warm centrally heated house into very cold air. I've found that taking a few minutes to get used to it before climbing up a hill (or other exercize that normally makes me work) helps quite a lot.

I can tell you as a person with asthma, cold air constricts the air passages and will cause difficulty breathing and a cough (at least in humans) so JohnF may be right on with that one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee