"holistic" Kibble

Guest Whistle

Guest Whistle

We recently switched kibble and I am wondering: Are there certain criteria a kibble has to meet to call it "holistic?" What does that mean exactly? I can't really find any answers from a reliable source online. Does anyone know or know of a source I can use to get the answer?

Might see if you can find any info at www.solidgoldhealth.com Years ago when the craze started they were supposedly the first reliably "holistic" dog food. I feed it. It is good food. If you email them your question I am sure they will answer it. They are very knowlegeable and good about responding. You might also ask the folks at WholeDogJournal.

Guest Whistle

Thanks, I will check it out and see if they know. I'm really happy with what we're feeding. I've just had people asking me about the food and I'd like to know what I'm talking about before telling anyone it's "holistic." Will check out WDJ too.

I'd think the only criteria is that the company decides to use it as a marketing tool and charge more for the privledge of feeding holistic food.

Here is a one explaination of holistic --

"What is the definition of holistic health? It's a wellness approach that addresses the body, mind and spirit or the physical, emotional/mental and spiritual aspects of an individual. By spirit or spiritual, I am not making a reference to anything religious. We're talking about the essence of who you are -- the core self."

Exactly HOW does that apply to dog food?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Whistle

I'd think the only criteria is that the company decides to use it as a marketing tool and charge more for the privledge of feeding holistic food.

Here is a one explaination of holistic --

"What is the definition of holistic health? It's a wellness approach that addresses the body, mind and spirit or the physical, emotional/mental and spiritual aspects of an individual. By spirit or spiritual, I am not making a reference to anything religious. We're talking about the essence of who you are -- the core self."

Exactly HOW does that apply to dog food?

Thanks for your reply. That is kind of what I was thinking too. Kind of like when you see "natural" on so many bags of kibble :rolleyes:.

To answer your question, I'm not too sure what 'holitic' means, other than that it is an extra buzz-word thrown onto packaging for marketing purposes. :blush

Last week, when I went to buy another bag of dog food at my local pet supply store, a man who was a rep for Earthborn Holistic brand of foods was there. He asked what type of dog I had, and after I told him a Greyhound and after I politely told him I was content with my current food, he wouldn't stop talking to me about how great his food is for Great Danes.

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg