Dry, Flaky Skin

shawna

Ok, we've had a cold snap in MS (compared to Florida) and I've noticed that both the hounds have dry, flaky skin on their bellies and sides. Tractor's isn't as bad as Mojo's. However, Mojo is also scratching at his, making it worse. I've added fish oil to their diets, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Fish oil is pretty good. My dog gets a little tin of sardines every week anyway.

But when she had dry flaky skin just after adoption I did what a friend of ours said worked for her dog and that was to give 1/2tsp/day of cold-pressed wheatgerm oil on the food. This added extra Vitamin E. The vet gave me a shampoo called 'Sebocalm' that only needed to be used twice.

With the winter coming on also think about foods rich in Vitamins A & D.

yep,, oral intake of oil is a greyt start,,, but it takes awhile,, my whole pack get dry skin here in north western Pa... due to the heat,,, so I apply topical skin care to all of mine,,, I use tow products,,,, one is royal treatment,,,, and the other availble at Petco is AvoDerm :)

Guest Swifthounds

How much does your hound weigh and how much fish oil are you giving? Often, if the fish oil isn't eliminating a skin issue, it's either too little DHA/EPA for the hound, or there's something else causing skin irritation.

I would not add in vitamin D or A unless you have reason to believe that the hound's diet is decicient for some reason. Vitamin A toxicity is not something to fool around with. I would also saty away from whaet products, which promote inflammation, rather than dimish it.

If your heat is running a lot, and especially if you have forced hot air, you might want to add a humidifier to keep the air from becoming too dry and contributing to skin and other issues.

Sardines, either tinned or raw, can be added for extra skin benefits. Other options are fish high in omega 3s like mackerel and salmon.

A whole raw egg added to the diet a few times a week helps promote a healthy skin/coat as well.

Thanks for this thread! Oliver has a very dry belly right now too and I'm curious to see what we can do to help this. Like you, we've been adding salmon oil, but I'd be happy to try other things as well.

Micah came to us with really dry flaky skin but the combination of a really healthy food and sardines about once a week has worked wonders. He does have a wierd thing on his tail though. The tail seems to be losing it's hair in the middle and it's kind of flaky in that area. He had thyroid tested and is on thyroid meds now and the hair on his butt which was thinning out is now growing beautifully but that tail still looks a bit weird. Anyone have any experience with tails??

Guest UESBrindle

For our hounds I add about a teaspoon of this to their food once a day. I add a bit of water to their food anyway so I put it ontop and stir it right in. We've had one bottle that has lasted us well over 6 months (although I don't give it to them all the time, just when the weather gets dry or I notice flaky skin).

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

"The tail seems to be losing it's hair in the middle and it's kind of flaky in that area."

My dod has the same deal - I read on here awhile ago that they have a scent gland in the middle of the tail and this is where the hair loss is (1" to 1-1/2")

we LOVE hair of the dog by doc's blend. we have used this product for two years with bee wiseman. her belly skin is soft and her fur feels like a bunny. she had terribly dry, red skin when we first adopted her. we love this product.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

it takes at least 6 weeks for any coat suppliment to start working, so be patient. i use cold pressed salmon oil, lakse cronche(88oz are around $55 at doggiefood.com). it doesn't seem to upset their digestive track. other people around here swear by missing link. have fun reading rewiews on all menitoned above.

our black gal used to errupt in heavy dandruff when she was blowing coat, it's not as noticable on the fawns.

Guest spaztastic_fam

Costco has a fish oil that you can squirt on the dog's food and my grey loves it. She has a lot of dry flakes when I first got her in January and it has resolved with the oil.