Bee Sting...advice Needed Asap

seeh2o

Carl was stung by a dying bee while we were out on our walk. He has a small amount of swelling on his cheek, the stinger appears to be gone. I'm about to give him a Benedryl. Anything else I should do? This happened about 20 - 25 min. ago.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

This just happened to our Goldie about four weeks ago. Vet told me to give FOUR Benedryl (25 mg each), and of course, watch her for facial and mouth swelling, difficulty breathing, and an ashen color. She was fine, but zonked out for a few hours! I also gave her 1/2 of a Deramaxx, which she sometimes takes for arthritis, for the swelling and pain.

Any idea of what type of bee? Hers was a HUGE black wasp-type, that was black with white spots. Vet said, they were REALLY bad.

Sending hugs and good luck your way!

I'll give him another Benadryl now. He isn't fussing with the sting area at all and the swelling seems to have stopped (after I gave him the first Benadryl...is that possible?). It was yellow and black, I know it wasn't a honey bee, it was a bright yellow w/no fuzz. I don't know if there was more than one or one that just kept going after him. It was clinging to his cheek, initially, then one on his side (no swelling there at all) then back to the cheek, we just kept running and brushing them off. Poor boy. My concern is that I have to leave for work in an hour and there isn't anyone to check on him. I'm guessing if it were going to be a bad reaction, it would have happened by now.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Energy11

I'll give him another Benadryl now. He isn't fussing with the sting area at all and the swelling seems to have stopped (after I gave him the first Benadryl...is that possible?). It was yellow and black, I know it wasn't a honey bee, it was a bright yellow w/no fuzz. I don't know if there was more than one or one that just kept going after him. It was clinging to his cheek, initially, then one on his side (no swelling there at all) then back to the cheek, we just kept running and brushing them off. Poor boy. My concern is that I have to leave for work in an hour and there isn't anyone to check on him. I'm guessing if it were going to be a bad reaction, it would have happened by now.

WE have those little "fuzzless" honey bees around here. They are ANNOYING! I don't THINK they carry much "punch." The Benedryl, or ANYTHING by mouth, takes between 35-60 minutes to work, depending on the metabolism. If this were MY dog, and I had to go to work, I'd be sure he got at least 75 mg of Benedryl. This can be repeated if necessary, in four to six hours. Maybe you could have a neighbor look in on him, just in case?

He just ate his breakfast w/gusto. Swelling still seems to have leveled off. I gave him a second Benedryl. Neighbors have flown the coop, one is in NM, the other in SF and, well, I wouldn't ask Satan (our lovely drug-addled meth-head) to look after a pile of dog poo.

Ouch! Poor Carl :( I'm so sorry, I have no advice, but it looks like you already got some. Sending good healing thoughts for Carl! :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

He just ate his breakfast w/gusto. Swelling still seems to have leveled off. I gave him a second Benedryl. Neighbors have flown the coop, one is in NM, the other in SF and, well, I wouldn't ask Satan (our lovely drug-addled meth-head) to look after a pile of dog poo.

YIKES! I had neighbors like that in Florida!!! :-(( HATED our road!!!

Anyway, it does sound like Carl will be OK ... God bless him! I'd be HAPPY to look in on him, but it might take a while to get there! :lol

DO give him a hug for me!

Come on over, Dee, Carl will be waiting for you!

I just gave him a 3rd Benedryl, I checked on him and, while the swelling on his cheek has leveled off, I see that he now is starting to swell along the side of his jaw, just under his lower lip. I called one of the girls at work and warned her that I will probably be late. Geez, I wish my neighbors were around! One of my greyhound buddies, who would be here in a minute, is in Palm Springs. I'm S.O.L.

Guest Energy11

Come on over, Dee, Carl will be waiting for you!

I just gave him a 3rd Benedryl, I checked on him and, while the swelling on his cheek has leveled off, I see that he now is starting to swell along the side of his jaw, just under his lower lip. I called one of the girls at work and warned her that I will probably be late. Geez, I wish my neighbors were around! One of my greyhound buddies, who would be here in a minute, is in Palm Springs. I'm S.O.L.

That swelling around his mouth could be of some concern. Any swelling around the face, especially mouth and nose ... All this means is, there COULD be airway involvement, which we don't want.

Oakly got bitten by fire ants in Florida once, and his head was soo big, you would have SWORN he was a Great Dane! He was dosed with injectible Benedryl (*yes, I have it), and he need steriods, too. It took him about two days to get over this, but he was ok.

Like humans, dogs can get more or less severe reactions, depending on their sensitivity to the type of bee, ant, etc. ...

I'd definitnely watch that mouth swelling. As I mentioned, per my vet here, you CAN give up to 100 mg. of oral Benedryl.

I wish I COULD come!

He is totally knocked out on my bed. Swelling of the lower jaw seems to have leveled off, too, and it is not nearly as firm as it was, the swelling is softening up. He's a very sleepy boy, but still has enough energy to paw at me for chest rubs! His Boston Terrier pack is here this weekend, so I know he feels really safe with them around (I'm not joking, he thinks he is a Boston Terrier...and his buddy Captain is his main protector...go figure!).

Guest Energy11

He is totally knocked out on my bed. Swelling of the lower jaw seems to have leveled off, too, and it is not nearly as firm as it was, the swelling is softening up. He's a very sleepy boy, but still has enough energy to paw at me for chest rubs! His Boston Terrier pack is here this weekend, so I know he feels really safe with them around (I'm not joking, he thinks he is a Boston Terrier...and his buddy Captain is his main protector...go figure!).

GOOD news! Sounds like the benedryl is working! IT is wonderful stuff!!!! The softness you are describing in the jar area is good.

My Mom has a Boston Terrier :-) His name is Buster, and HE is a BUSTER! They are cutie dogs! Glad he has company!

He will probably just sleep it off, while you are gone! :-)) ... AND, YES, he WILL BE sleepy... will wear off in about four to six hours.

Thanks for all the hand holding. I napped next to him on the bed for 1/2 an hour. He has less swelling and what there is, continues to be very soft, not firm like it had been. I took his collar off, no swelling down his neck and it has stopped creeping up along his jaw. He hasn't moved at all, just opens his eyes once in a while and pawed at me for petting. I'm going to go ahead and get myself ready for work, I'm pretty confident that the worst is over. Thanks again!

He just got up, he looks like a little like Pelican from the side, the swelling sank below his chin as he was sleeping on his side and now it looks like he has a little fish pouch under his chin! Poor boy!

Guest Energy11

Remember, you CAN give more benedryl in four to six hours, and it might be needed from what you are describing .. poor guy! When Oakly was bitten by fire ants, he was on Benedryl for two days.

As long as his breathing seems OK, and his gums are pink, not dusky, he should be fine. That bee got him good!

The thing to be concerned about at this point is if he were to start vomiting.

My little cocker spaniel was stung by a red wasp, inside her big cocker lip.

The swelling was HUGE! I immediately gave Benadryl and the swelling went down.

Hours later, she started vomitting over and over. She nearly died. We rushed her to the vet, where she was put on IV fluids.

The vet said that reaction is somewhat rare, but can be deadly.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Just checked his gums, they are pink, but not bright pink like Claire's. When I press on them they go pale and come back to pink quickly, just not bright pink. It has been about 4 hours since he was stung. I'm hoping the worst is over, I have to get to work, but I'll be home in a few hours. Maybe one final (the 4th) Benedryl before I go.

UPDATE: Got home about 20 min. ago, Carl greeted me at the door, jumped up and down and proceeded to chase his Boston buddy guests around the house. Something tells me he's going to be ok! The swelling is localized to where the sting happened, the jaw swelling and pelican pouch are gone. He's eating treats and feeling good! I think I'll give him some more Benedryl tonight just to make sure he has a peaceful night and the swelling remains minimal.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and concern!