Curcumin And Different Types Of Lumps/masses

Guest Fasave

I just re-read a thread that was posted a while ago about the use of curcumin for mast cell tumors. Does anyone know if this might work for other types of lumps/masses?

My boy who will be 11 in December, has soft tissue sarcoma in his leg which we've managed with surgeries. I've talked with a few vets and all agree it's very low grade and low growing and likely will NOT spread to the bone or other organs. I have a consult with an oncologist next week just to discuss the possibility of a follow up protocol recommended by Dr. Couto that involves an injectible chemo drug. In addition to the soft tissue sarcoma, he also had a very small nerve sheath tumor removed from his back about a year ago. He now has three other small lumps. One is on his back and is more like a skin tag. It's been there for a good six months and has been seen by vets and has not changed. He then has a small lump on his elbow which is definitely in the top skin layer and feels more like a pimple. The other one is on his chest. I noticed it about a month ago and is NOT in the top skin layer but you can move it around. It's hard to say if it's grown. I will have all these checked out by the oncologist during our appointment.

I know as dogs age, they get bumps and lumps. When Avalanche had the second cancer diagnosis (nerve sheath tumor on back) I asked Dr. Couto if this was common and he said it was in greyhounds but not necessarily in other breeds. Knowing this, I feel like I should have every lump removed to be safe. The concern is that he is getting older. He had a big surgery this Summer to remove a benign epulis in the roof of his mouth AND a torn salivary gland and it was really hard on him. There is a big part of me that doesn't want his remaining time to involve him constantly having to have little lumps removed which brings me to the curcumin and whether adding this to his diet might be a good route to pursuit with him. Other than the lumps, he's in great shape with good muscle tone, very active, good appetite and other than a white face, I don't think you'd guess his age as 11.

Has anyone had any experience using curcumin? Did you use it as preventative? Does anyone know if it works on other types of cancer other than mast cell? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

We use curcumin in conjunction with many different herbs for our pups as a preventative. Charlie also gets Artemisinin as he was diagnosed with Osteo and supposedly both work well together. I would have to look back at my research to truly understand the studies behind using it however there is no harm in giving it to your pup (in moderation of course!).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I use artemisinin and curcumin in a cycling regimen for Neyla's bone cancer. Don't know anything about their uses for other types of cancers other than that they can be, but there are plenty of the people on the artemisinin_and_Yahoo group whose dogs have other forms of cancer who might be able to advise you (as well as one vet who has done a lot of research into the synergistic use of both). There's also been discussion both there and in Dr. Dressler's book on cancer care (comprehensive, including a chapter on each type of cancer and both traditional and holistic ways of preventing and treating it). I would suggest starting at those places. If you search around hard enough on the yahoo group (search for "Dr. Dressler book" and look back a few pages for a post with an attachment) you can find a PDF copy of his book.

I recommend looking into the cycling regimen that uses both for a couple of reasons - one because I think it's helped us :) and two because while artemisinin typically doesn't have side effects, the curcumin can cause loose stool. Also, over time, the body stops absorbing herbs as well as it did and the cycling regimen provides breaks so that ti can become bioavailable to the body again. Oh, there's also a topical artemisinin gel that can be used for visible tumors.

I hope that helps.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Very interesting. I've been following both Charlie & Neyla's stories. Thank you for the interesting insights. I'll be sure to do some more research in prep for my visit on Tuesday. This particular vet seems very open to new ideas and therapies.

Thank you!

Sorry, realized I typed the name of the group wrong. In case you want to join, the yahoo group is : artemisinin_and_cancer.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."