Post Anesthesia From X-Ray

Guest larajane

Guest larajane

Hi,

Our male grey was given anesthesia before noon today for xrays. Currently (7pm) he is awake/conscious but very lethargic, has thrown up twice (we didn't see this happen, just found the evidence) and refuses to eat/drink. Does this seem normal? He's had anesthesia before and has come back slowly, but has never seemed sick before. Thanks!

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear he isn't feeling well!

Our Goldie has the SAME reaction to anesthesia! Maybe they had to give him more than they anticipated to get the x-rays? It CAN be normal for any of them ... it just depends.

I'd just keep an eye on him, and if anything changes, I'd call the vet or evet, but he should be fine. He does need to drink, and of course, if he isn't by morning, ... the concern for dehydration comes in to play. I'd see the vet if he doesn't improve by morning.

Good Luck and lots of hugs and good wishes coming your way!

Guest larajane

Thanks so much.... he just ate a few minutes ago and so far it hasn't come back up yet! No water yet, but we'll keep an eye on it. Take care, your dogs are beautiful!

Our Goldie has the SAME reaction to anesthesia! Maybe they had to give him more than they anticipated to get the x-rays? It CAN be normal for any of them ... it just depends.

I'd just keep an eye on him, and if anything changes, I'd call the vet or evet, but he should be fine. He does need to drink, and of course, if he isn't by morning, ... the concern for dehydration comes in to play. I'd see the vet if he doesn't improve by morning.

Guest Energy11

Thanks so much.... he just ate a few minutes ago and so far it hasn't come back up yet! No water yet, but we'll keep an eye on it. Take care, your dogs are beautiful!

All greys are beautiful! :-)) I HATE putting them under! Good sign he is eating. If you want, you can add water to his food, too, which will help keep him hydrated.

Give him a HUG from us! Dee and The Five!

IMHO....

I work at a vet clinic & have seen a lot of really groggy dogs after anesthesia. My personal opinion is to get them outside as soon

as they can walk, even if they're a little wobbly, & even if it's just for a few minutes to stand there & look around.

Seems like the stimulation of fresh air & sunshine & things to look at just helps them work the anesthesia out of their system

more quickly.

Hope he's feeling more himself this morning.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

In my experience stumbly-ness, lethargy and vomiting are not uncommon after sedation for X-rays. Our vet always warns us to take it slow with food and water afterwards to avoid vomiting.

Hope your guy is feeling better this morning!