Please Send Good Thoughts For Fixer

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

I got home today (Friday) around 3 PM and found Fixer outside with a few puncture wounds around his right ear and massive swelling around his left front shoulder. :( We're really not sure what happened. We have a dog door, so the thinking is that possibly a loose cat or something was in the yard and there was an incident (although no evidence was found outside).

The vets kept him for a few hours, stitched him up, did X-rays and all. They also found a big cut in his mouth. Everything checked out OK though, no break in the leg or anything, but his left leg is very painful. The vet now thinks that swelling was air underneath the skin because it went away after Fixer was laying on that side. He'll be coming home with a bunch of medicine very shortly.

So, please send good thoughts and prayers that things will heal up quickly without any complications.

Here is a picture I took of the swelling while we were at the vet's. It was the weirdest thing-

1105101510.jpg

And, here's the picture of the big guy

BeachPics063.jpg

Edited by K9Cookies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kelli123

Sending lots of prayers for your Fixer. I hope you can figure out what exactly happened. Was there any Cat hair any where? I'm sure you probably looked , But if he ended up looking this way what ever got him cant look to good either.

Guest avadogner

Poor sweet boy. I'll send him a little prayer to get better soon. Did the vet consider that he may have had a tango with a racoon? Puncture wounds make me thing snake or racoon. The swelling could be inflamation and his body fighting the bite bacteria. Bites give nasty infections. I worked pediatric level 1 trauma for a few years and puncture bites always gave the worst infections. Keep an eye on the puncture sites and make sure no pus appears. If you see any, call your vet for antibiotics asap. Getting him on abx faster will be easier on him, you and your wallet! :grouphug Get better soon buddy!

-ava and augie's mum

sending prayers for your sweet boy! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest K9Cookies

Thanks, everyone. :blush Fixer is resting right now, but the swelling in his leg is still there. It's about the same size too. :( We're supposed to try cold compresses if he'll let us.

I doubt we'll ever know what happened. Uri has a little cut on his face too. When I went outside to check the yard, there was a cat walking in the next door neighbor's driveway. The bite marks don't look like a cat's (I'm no expert though), but I suppose anything could happen. Our yard is fenced, but we have had a couple of cats come into the yard...no raccoons that I've seen. :dunno

Edited by K9Cookies

That's some nasty looking swelling....with he and Uri both having some wounds, could the two of them have gotten into it? The cut inside the mouth is wierd....Hitchie has something similar a few years back. I didn't know anything was up I noticed some swelling. The best the vet and I could figure was that he tried to lay down or get through the dog door with a stick in his mouth. I hope he's feeling better in the AM.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Something similar happened to Phantom when I was fostering him. A German Shepherd who was just playing nipped him at the park, on his neck. It looked like NOTHING, not even something one blinks an eye at. Well, the next day he had huge swelling down inside his elbow. It was the weirdest thing! He made a full recovery with just some antibiotics. I hope it's as simple for your guy.

Ouch! Fixer! What happened?! Poor bug. :(

It must be so frustrating not knowing what happened- I know it wold drive me crazy. Hugs to you Kristin and Fixer too. Get well soon!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest K9Cookies

Hoping to get a little sleep tonight after this update. I'll be sleeping on the couch downstairs with Fixer. We got the antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds in him for the night, so I hope things will begin getting better.

I suppose Fixer and Uri could have gotten into it. It's possible something got them all worked up and maybe they went at it. Gracey, who is the serious trouble-maker of the family, still had her muzzle on perfectly, so she's probably in the clear. The whole thing with Fixer just seems really odd. And the other 3 are completely fine. :blink:

Anyway, I'm most worried about the swelling, which has extended down into that leg. I will keep a close eye on it and call the vet right away in the morning if it hasn't improved. I'll update all of you in the morning.

Thanks again. :blush