Ollie Is Losing Hair

RobinM

We had a flea incident and treated with capstar on Tuesday along with Advantage- I don't know if we are finished as he is still scratching. He had been on Melotonin to increase his lack of hair and it worked so well, I cut down to every other or every 3ed day.

Now, check this out. I have no idea of what's going on.

DSC_3489.jpg

DSC_3482.jpg

DSC_3480.jpg

Any ideas?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He could be allergic to fleas. One of mine had problems losing hair in spots like that because of fleas before he came to me. I was informed so I'm really diligent about making sure no fleas get on him. He lost huge patches of hair that eventually turned into hot spots. Looks like you caught it in time.

You can give him some Benadryl to help the itching.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He could be allergic to fleas. One of mine had problems losing hair in spots like that because of fleas before he came to me. I was informed so I'm really diligent about making sure no fleas get on him. He lost huge patches of hair that eventually turned into hot spots. Looks like you caught it in time.

You can give him some Benadryl to help the itching.

Thanks Judy. It could very well be allergic reaction. I gave him a benedyl about an hour ago and it's the first time he's not scratching. He is allergic to chicken, wheat/grains so there is good possiblity. I sent pics to my vet as well.

ETA- yup- vet said the same thing. She said I should do 3 days of 20mg of pred, then 10 mg for 3 days, then every other day for 3-5 days 5mg. That should do it. I hope she is right!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If it's been long enough since he's had the Advantage, give him a gentle bath to get any lingering flea dirt off. Places like his butt, sides of the tuck, armpits especially. Flea doody sticks to the hair so you have to scrub gently but really don't need much/any soap.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.