Bedtime Snack?

tra708

Do you give your dog a snack before bed? And if so, what?? By the time we go to bed, it's been 7 hrs. since they ate their dinner, and they seem hungry. I would love to give them something yummy besides a dog biscuit. I read on here once that someone gives theirs each a half peanut butter sandwich. :colgate

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest 4dogscrazy

I give plain old milk bones. They still like them after two years, must remind them of the track days. I get them at Sams, 8.99 for a big box of the large size. I don't feel bad giving them all grains for a snack since they eat Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream as their kibble, and it's grain free. Even my picky eater will still take them. I also give them at noon, my boy whines incessantly if he goes more than 4 hours without food. :rolleyes:

Wow, you must feed you pups REALLY early! We don't usually feed him before bedtime during the week, but Opie eats at the following times:

8-8:30 AM Breakfast

6:00 PM turkey Neck piece

8:00 PM Dinner

Bed - 11-11:30

If DH's band plays on the weekend, then we get home at around 2:00 AM. Opie gets another walk, and at that point we do feed him again - maybe 1/2 cup kibble, some canned food, some dog cookies, or some combination. That way he will sleep in with us in the morning, sometimes in bed with us. B)

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Sid gets a couple of Cornish Wafers - they're very plain cracker type (people) biscuits, low salt, and quite high fat. He loooooves them! But he is also free fed most of the year (he only wants dinner during the hot months). We leave a bowl of dry kibble down for him to snack on, so he's not hungry as such, he just likes to nibble on something before bed. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Mine get a little "something something" (usually a tiny bit (sans fat) of whatever I cooked that day) added to their kibble or a sprinkle of cheese at each meal. I swear they look for it and if it isn't there they give me "the look." I usually hide it in their food: no picky eaters here! For bed time snack they either get a Milk Bone or a couple Cloud Star, Trail Hound treats which they go bonkers over no matter what variety.

june

Yep! I give my pack each 1/2 kibble,... I save 1/4 out of each of their 2 meals a day and give it to them at bedtime with a little cottage cheese :) peanut butter is give mid morning here

Teddy gets half of a peanut butter sandwich around 11:30 PM. If we don't give it to him, he'll wake us up at 2:00 AM whining because he's hungry. Daisy sleeps fine without it, as does Mittens, but if they are still up at that time, they also get a bite of the sandwich.

They eat dinner around 6 PM.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

I give the cat 2-3 pieces of a kitty treat and each hound gets one small Milkbone biscuit just before bed.

Thinking about it, I'm clearly not giving enough food to stave off hunger in the night, so how did I ever get into that habit? I think it must have gotten started because right before bed I'm in the kitchen to start the dishwasher and, of course, all four legged family members are also in the kitchen acting hopeful. At any rate, it is such an ingrained habit now, there's no going back. :lol

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

We feed at 6.30am and around 5.30pm so at bedtime they have a few small biscuit treats or a handful of their normal kibble. I'm sure this stops the empty-tummy-syndrome which otherwise often results in dogs throwing up bile in the early morning because the gut has nothing to work on with the tummy being empty.

Sue from England

Guest Grhndad

We normally feed twice a day, 7:00 AM and then at 5:00 PM. At bed time, just after last outs they each get an Oreo. This is an old habit that started about 10 years ago when the brood momma we adopted loved Oreos and prefered them to all other treats. So we started giving them at bedtime. It's carried on since then. :rolleyes:

Ours get a large handful of kibble or a few biscuits right before bed. It's a routine they certainly look forward to and I'm sure it helps to settle them for the night.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Mine get breakfast at 6:00 a.m. and dinner at 6:00 p.m. They also get small milk bones at 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I brush Nike's teeth in the evening - about 8 - he gets a chicken foot as a reward for being such a good sport about the electric toothbrush. ( Breakfast at 6.30 am / dinner at 6pm)

Beth just gets a tablespoon or two of yogurt before her "last call" walk (mostly to coax her to get up off the bed!). Then we brush her teeth when we come in, no food after that. But she eats around 6:30 p.m. and has never had issues during the night.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest lasharp1209

Blade gets meals around 7am and 6-7pm. Whenever we put him in his crate (during our dinner and when we go to bed), he gets a small size Milkbone which he loves and consequently he knows "Let's go to bed!" I don't do it for the hunger factor, but rather because we want to continue associating his crate with positive things.

Guest kelli123

Every one gets a snack before bed, milk bone piece of bread or what ever i think they might like. If not they will wake me up . Every one needs a little something before bed. they are feed at 8:00 am & 5:00 pm. Then get covered up and nighty nite girls. :lol

Guest avadogner

Let me first preface that me and my hounds are on a nocturnal schedule. I worked second shift NICU and Ped ER for years before my kidneys failed and I had to go on disability until they find a match. Ava sleeps all day and runs zoomies around the LR from 11p on. I used to get off work around midnight so she spent her first 7 yrs being on my schedule. The DH goes to work at 6 am and he can't drag Ava out of her bed until atleast 10 am. Augie adapted to our schedule pretty quick. We get up around 10 am and I set out bowls. Due to poor feeding, I pull them up if not eaten in 30 min. I put them back out at 4 pm for another try. I put them out one last time at 8 pm when DH and I eat dinner. Augie is a good eater but Ava is my poor feeder (see my numerous posts). If the doggies eat their meals for the day, they each get a Jumbo Kong stuffed with biscuits pieces, yogurt treats and meaty training treats. The end is plugged with a scoop of organic Peanut Butter and a big Kirkland brand dog biscuit is stuck in the PB. I freeze them so it takes them a while to get through it all. We are on BB grain free salmon based for our kibble and we also add cooked meats to the meals too. Sometimes we also play chase the biscuits around the back yard to play them out before bed too. I figure a few treats don't hurt as long as meals are eaten.

-ava and augie

I'm sure they would Love to have a pb and jelly sandwiches. Nothing makes me laugh more than them eating the pb and getting it stuck to the roof of their mouths.

Guest greytloves

After last potty and when it is time for bed - they get either a Sojo's grain free biscuit (or two!) or some sort of dehydrated or simple treat. Mainly because one of my greys has to eat grain free so I only keep really high quality treats around.

Mine get a small biscuit before bed. They also get one before I leave for work. That biscuit signifies that they will be stuck inside for a long period of time. I also call last turn out before work and bed "cookie potty," so they know what to expect. If I try to skip it, they are all very quick to remind me! After they get the evening one, they all race upstairs to pick out their sleeping place for the night. (There are some spots that are more popular than others!) That is the only time that they get them too, btw.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow