Whizzer

Guest jenmm

I started watching her racing career about 2 weeks after I adopted Bernie and I "warned" the adoption group president that I wanted the Oats sister. When I saw she wasn't racing anymore, I contacted the adoption group in FL first and found she had retired a few weeks earlier with a leg injury and our group was getting a haul the following month. As luck would have it, there was one available spot on the hauler. I think I contacted the president during my lunch break before my lunch could even get cold.

I had been with my boyfriend less than a year when we went on a dog haul early Friday morning 7/27/07. I don't know how we both managed to take off work, thinking about our insane schedules now. It was quite a memorable trip. I told him we were picking up 2 fosters - one for us and one for another lady. Her foster was a shy dog. And then there was she was. Soon as she jumped off the hauler, Steve read the red kennel collar around her neck aloud. "Oats Whizzer. Is that kind of like Oats Yankee and Oats Bernie?" I'm sure I didn't answer, I just smiled and took her for a potty break. Maybe I nodded my head. "She's not going anywhere, is she?" he had asked me. In the van on the way home I told him, "We'll see how she works out. . ." knowing full well that unless she ATE the rest of my pack, she wasn't going to be adopted by anyone except me. She showed her true colors to us immediately on the way home. Her face was in my face, happy and goofy as ever and always. Her mouth was open and happy. She jumped on the backseat quickly and got comfortable. She sat on the other dog. She didn't wear a muzzle, she was already spoiled. We bought her fries when we dropped off the foster at Burger King. That was just the beginning. And I wouldn't change it for the world! When we got home, the neighbor kids came in the fence and that included a little girl afraid of dogs. I didn't know if Whizzer was kid-friendly or not. But she behaved perfectly.

Yes, she did slip her collar at Petco at a M&G to greet another breed of dog. She's my only greyhound who's ever done that. She would burp on a daily basis. She's my only greyhound who's ever done that. Once, Steve bumped her with a chair and she let out a human-like scream. Yep, she's my only greyhound who's ever done that. She liked rolling in the sand at Dewey or in the grass at home.

Whizzer was a very goofy and special girl. She wasn't like her littermates Bernie and Yankee. She wasn't as independent as my other females. I was devasted when she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma of her shoulder . I kept her comfortable for as long as I could. Then on 10/30/10, her quality of life was just not the same anymore. It wasn't worth suffering and she needed to be free of pain.

I don't want to think about the pain. I want to remember her goofiness and happiness and playfulness. I find myself counting my dogs when I hand out snacks and feed them. Right now, my home and my heart feel empty with her gone physically. Beautiful Whizzer is in my heart though - she'll always be there.

I love you and miss you sweet Whizzer. Run free of pain with the other angels at the Rainbow Bridge.

5162008358.jpg

Edited by jenmm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :cry1 Osteo is SUCH a monster. :angry: Your baby girl will live on forever in your heart. Godspeed, sweetie... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Whizzer....a special girl for sure. I'm so sorry.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to let them go. I'm sure she knew what a special girl she was and how much she was loved.

A friend reminded me recently that love is what remains when all else is gone. It's as true with dogs as it is people.

:f_pink

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She was much too young.

Godspeed Whizzer.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry Whizzer couldn't have stayed longer. :( Yours was a great tribute and had what must be the perfect picture to illustrate. Each of you was blessed by the other.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).