Lyme Vaccine --Opinions Please

I have heard different opinions about the " new " Lyme disease vaccine. A so called second generation of the vaccine. Many people do not want their dogs receiving any Lyme vaccine, others say they believe in it. Can you give some of your thoughts . If you have given it to your hound and it had a reaction, please tell us what happened. Reading about the side effect, it sounds like they can be life long nasty. Others say they would rather treat the disease then give the vaccine. The vet is saying it is totally necessary and safe. I am totally confused and actually afraid to do it, and afraid not to do it. Totally confused. The deer population here is full blown. I was also told that the mice are also bad carriers of the diseased ticks. I love my hounds and want to enjoy life outdoors with them, and want them to enjoy the outdoors. Walks on trails in the woods and in the grass in fields are really soothing and fun with your dog. What are all you greyhound folks doing about this ????????

Guest Swifthounds

I wouldn't do it. I also wouldn't call Lyme a "necessary" vaccine for any area - and I live just on the outskirts of the Lyme capital of the country.I'm also more inclined to take the opinion of someone with a PhD in immunology than I am to take the advice of the vet who makes the most profit from selling the vaccine.

Guest Energy11

I have all seniors ... ages 8-10. I don't vaccinate for ANYTHING except the required Rabies. HOWEVER, that said, I do not take my dogs anyplace where other dogs are, except the vets ...

If I lived in a Lyme area, I wouldn't vaccinate against it, rather, take precautions against the ticks that carry it. Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

I'm rather confused too -- I'm not in a super high Lyme area but I take Beth to an area in NY which is. I had her vaccinated in the summer of 2009, then read about the vaccine and regretted it and didn't get a booster in 2010, but then our neighbor's dog in NY tested positive for Lyme, so I thought maybe I should reconsider ... HOWEVER, I've also never found any ticks attached to Beth in the 2+ years I've had her, and check diligently especially in NY, so her risk is pretty low.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

PraireProf----- Here`s another question. The vaccine needs a booster every year ? I also look at it this way that not every tick is affected with Lyme. You dog does not show any sore joints ? Did they say it was the " new " version of the vaccine, not the old original ?? If it was the newer version maybe it is better.

Yes, the vaccine requires an annual booster. I'm not clear on the rest of your question -- my dog did not have any reaction to the vaccine nor does she have Lyme. My vet is very up to date so I'm sure he used whatever version is considered the best and safest.

A complicating factor in all of this is that once the dog has had the vaccine, I believe they titer positive for Lyme on any blood tests, or at least titer differently than a dog never exposed to the vaccine. No doubt someone else can clarify this. I do remember asking my neighbor if her (asymptomatic) dog diagnosed with Lyme had ever had the vaccine, say with a different vet, and whether that could be what the test had registered.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I've gotten it for George, and I got it for my previous dog, a mixed breed named Kramer.

My sister in law and father have both had Lyme disease, and my brother was hospitalized for Babesia. (Babesiosis??) They all live on Nantucket, a hotbed of tick borne disease, and that's where we go to visit and for holidays.

My vet did tell me it's not considered highly effective, but I figured reducing his risk of getting it by even 25% is better than nothing.

He had no reaction at all. My last dog was EXTREMELY sensitive to chemicals and vaccines, and he had no reaction either.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Any time a substance is introduced that affects the immune system, the door to Pandora's Box is opened. How far the door opens and what is revealed is a cr*p shoot with every dog, but whatever comes out, stays out.........................forever.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Duncan1, I agree with you totally that is why I am so very hesitant. I trust my vet, but trust the opinions of ALL , and that`s a lot of hound folks. I do not give mine annual vaccines, I believe the less the better. For all the known reasons, not to get this long in detail. If I do not put it in the body, the better for the dogs. I did not realize that they needed a " Yearly " booster. So, I put it in there, they forever test positive, and am suppose to put more in every year. It is sounding less appealing. Thank you everyone who has given me their opinons and their experiences.

Guest Swifthounds

Any time a substance is introduced that affects the immune system, the door to Pandora's Box is opened. How far the door opens and what is revealed is a cr*p shoot with every dog, but whatever comes out, stays out.........................forever.

:nod

I do. I'm fairly pro-vaccine in general, but this is one I certainly see where people disagree given its lower effectiveness rate. If I were in a low lyme area I'd skip it. I think for this one, it's a question of do you prefer to error on the side of risking disease, or the side of risking vaccine related problems?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I do,,, my seniors get rabies,,, and Lymes only,,,,, I have lived through a Lymes infection,,, before the vaccine was available,,,,, and I will do everything I can to try not to go through that again,,, that said,,, I can also tellyou I have read on the internet some pet owners are now against heartworm protection,,,,, so take that for what is worth too :)

This is the first year that both my greyhounds had the Lyme vaccine - neither had any reaction to it. I do live in Mass which is considered a high-risk area. I really thought out the pros and cons before giving it and one of the major factor in deciding to go with it is that Lyme can be such a debilitating disease if not caught early enough and treated. I felt that I could very easily "miss the symptoms" of Lyme unless I found a tick on one of my dogs and was "watching" for the symptoms. Also, my vet said the vaccine had been improved over the last few years.

I have not regretted my decision even though I have read quite a few pros and cons on the greytalk forums.

Since it is the time of year that the snow will be coming, and the hounds are more indoor, and the ticks etc, are not that prominent out there. When is the best time of year to vaccinate ?? Would it be better to wait until spring to vacinate a dog ?

Guest SpicyMom

Having just got off the phone with my vet on this very subject, all I can say is my vet's practice, which is highly "preventative", i.e. if it moves, vaccinate it, does not recommend it, although they will give it if requested. Both my girls tested positive for "exposure to lyme", very common around the DC area, but luckily neither actually has it. But, given that they were exposed, I really grilled my vet about it. Their response was, it's just not proven to prevent it so they don't recommend it.

Guest Swifthounds

Although exposure to other animals is loudly touted as a reason for vaccinating on the theroy that it creates a risk of contracting an illness, exposure to other animals and other recently vaccinated animals creates an immune reaction that also protects the dog, especially where the dog has been previously vaccinated.

Keeping a dog at home on the theory that it will prevent the dog from contracting a disease from other animals may seem intuitive, but in most instances, it's avoiding an opportunity for the immune system to beef itself up through exposure.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest Rogersmom

I do not vaccinate for Lymes but I also have a minimal vaccine view on life. So take my opinion for what it's worth. ;)

I get the lyme vaccine for Roger. We had are Ridgeback vaccinated also (he died of lung cancer at 7 1/2 years of age). I had

often found dead ticks in my son's bed where the Ridgeback slept. We spent most of the summer giving him and my son antibiotics

to prevent the disease after a tick bite. They would both have to take antibiotics for 30 days I do not think it is good to be on antibiotics for such an extended period of time.