Spontaneous Sore Foot!

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

This morning, Hermes found a way to injure his foot while standing on the back patio after breakfast. Completely normal before/during breakfast, but when I let him back in after breakfast I noticed he was avoiding putting pressure on a back foot as much as possible. He doesn't appear to be limping much, but when standing he will keep the back foot off the ground or otherwise compensate in his movements. I felt up his leg and the problem is definitely in his foot. I've got it narrowed down to one pawpad I think. He's only reliably pulling away from firm pressure on one of them.

There's what looks to be a tiny tiny puncture in the pad, but it's otherwise completely normal-looking as is the rest of the foot and leg. No swelling or undue heat. Posted is a picture of the pawpad in question with the tiny puncture with a little brown discoloration around it. :dunno

IMG_3191.JPG

The question is, I guess, should I be concerned? The hubby has the car so I would have to our neighbor friend's car to take to the vet. I wish I had some doggie tylenol to give him as whatever it is is causing him enough discomfort that he doesn't want to put weight on his foot unless he absolutely has to (walking). My gut instinct is to just wait and see how things go with him and keep watching for signs of infection, but this is my first dog.....so..... I don't necessarily know what I'm doing when it comes to medical issues.

Guest cwholsin

No tylenol. I'ts poisonous to dogs. I would try soaking the foot in warm water. It looks like it could be a splinter of some sort and warm water could help it feel better and possibly draw the splinter out.

Oh, I meant that I wish I had some pain reliever for dogs so I could take the edge off for him. I will try the warm water soak! Too bad we don't have epsom salts..

Guest Energy11

YES, NO Tylenol for dogs. You CAN give (1) 81 mg low dose aspirin, every 12 hours, if you think it is needed. If you do, I would also use a Pepcid AC or it's generic, to help the stomach.

Yes, soak in Epsom Salts, and you can use a toddler sock and bootie to cushion the pad if needed.

Hope it all turns out well! Good luck!

Guest cwholsin

Update: Soaking in warm water does make it feel better, but the foot seems to be getting more painful. For a bit after it happened he was walking normally but holding his food up at a standstill. The limp is worsened quite a bit (no crying in pain still). The brown discoloration did not come off in the water, so it's actually under the skin. What in the world did he step on?

Will get the hubby to get some epsom salts on the way home so we can add that to the foot bath. Epsom salts and warm water did fantastic things for my horse who was very prone to abcesses in her hoof.

Edited by cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Well it's been a few days since this happened, and Hermes isn't getting any better. No change in his condition at all. How long does it take for a splinter to work its way out or heal over?