Milk Thistle

Probably going to be starting Neyla on it shortly. I remember that the vets sell it, I think under the name Marin, but I know you can also get milk thistle supplements all over the web. Anyone have any feedback on good brands? Do you recommend going with the vet supplied stuff? Thanks.

ETA: Just found this info:

A new form of silymarin, in which the compound is bound to phosphatidylcholine, has been shown to have greater bioavailability than unbound silymarin.

The standard dosage of milk thistle is 200 mg 2 to 3 times a day. In people, the best results are seen at higher doses (140-200 mg three times daily of an extract standardized to contain 70% silymarin;) the bound form is dosed at 100-200 mg twice daily.

If anyone has info on the bound form in particular, that would be great. I've become quite familiar with this whole bioavailability issue with all of my supplement research so I think I'd prefer to use the bound form if I can get a recommendation. I did also send a quick email off to the holistic vet to see if he has one he likes.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Walmart. The holistic vet recommended 1000 mgs a day and I don't give that much.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The reason I am using milk thistle is:

1. Paul is taking antibiotics

2. Fuzzy in taking deramaxx.

Milk thistle is for liver support and helps build a healthy digestive system. I also give them acidopholis. Paul is doing well, Fuzzy is sometimes a little loose and very stinky. But, he has been stinky for a long time. I am not sure how to fix stinky.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I get mine from a health food store, not particular brand though.

If you want Marin or Denamarin, check here. Both are good and these prices are awesome!! You do not need a script for either supplement.

My holistic Vet sells and swears by Standard Process products. You can find them on the web and sometimes on eBay. Good products, but they can be hard to find locally.

Is it used for liver disease? I am giving Brandi pred 10 mg. every other day and her levels are still good. Should I give it to her as a preventive measure? Thanks.

Yes, milk thistle helps the liver.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Is it for liver function? If so, you may want to check into SAM-e also. You can buy it at Costco. I just buy Phaelin's milk thistle at CVS and he gets both the milk thistle and the SAM-e for his liver (because his liver values were high on his last blood test.....we had to up his pheno and I think that did it).

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Jen,

We use milk thistle, the actual herb, and have so far sourced it from Mountain Rose Herbs. We will be growing our own this year on our herb farm.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I get mine from the Vitamin Shoppe.

I get mine from a health food store, not particular brand though.

If you want Marin or Denamarin, check here. Both are good and these prices are awesome!! You do not need a script for either supplement.

My holistic Vet sells and swears by Standard Process products. You can find them on the web and sometimes on eBay. Good products, but they can be hard to find locally.

Is it used for liver disease? I am giving Brandi pred 10 mg. every other day and her levels are still good. Should I give it to her as a preventive measure? Thanks.

Yes, milk thistle helps the liver.

Yikes is the Denamarin expensive! I don't see any benefit to using that over supplementing separately with sam-e and milk thistle and given the research supporting using bound supplements, I think I'll just go that route thankyouverymuch. :)

My holistic vet recommended SP products as well, but I chose not to use them b/c they all contain "proprietary blends" of numerous things and since I'm mixing supplements, i want to know what each and every thing does and how it might interact. Those were too much research. :P

Vitacost has the bound form; I've linked to the Enzymatic Therapy brand because that's one I've used and my naturopath has recommended as excellent quality.

Thanks! Interestingly, I didn't realize that the bound curcumin I was recommended a while ago and now want to upgrade to is bound with the same stuff. Thorne-research actually makes the curcumin product and also produces a bound milk thistle similar to the Enzymatic Therapy, but the latter is cheaper. I'll be getting one or the other though, depending where I can find them. Vitacost carries Thorne products, but not the curcumin supplement, btu I have a list of things I need to order so I'll have to search around.

Thanks everyone for hte feedback, this was really helpful.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest argolola

I'm not sure about the particulars, but when Lola had pancreatitis, she had a high bilirubin count and her pee pee was dark, almost orange. Vet said it was affecting her liver but didn't know if it was permanent or not. We started milk thistle (from Walmart , KMart or Target, can't remember.) Within a few months, she was back to normal. It's amazing stuff.