Boswellia Vs. Yucca

Wonder

I'm doing research on adding an anti-inflammatory for Sparks

see his back issues here clicky and here Clicky

I'm still struggling with getting him to eat. He will eat cooked, ground turkey and Natural Balance meat rolls without hesitating.

Yesterday, I gave him about 2 cups of kibble with 1 can of Merrick pot roast or something called that. He gobbled it up so I gave him another can of Merrick, sausage something which he didn't like as much. This morning he wouldn't eat so maybe he will still full ?? Tonight I have him the cooked gr turkey and he ate most of it. I'm low on the turkey which is why I tried to get him to eat the kibble yesterday. I left him a chicken qtr today when I went to my moms and he didn't touch it :( He used to love those before this back crap started.

I have him on Spring Time Longevity (1 scoop/day) and 6-8 Fresh Factors a day. Plus milk thistle.

I'm weaning him off the prednisone and I'm not giving him any pain meds at this time. The combo of these was giving him major big D.

So what can you tell me about Boswellia vs. Yucca?

I have to make sure whatever I give him won't upset his tummy.

Thanks!

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Can't help you with the other, but Longevity is 1 scoop per 40lb. You may want to try 2 scoops a day - that is what my hounds get.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Can't help you with the other, but Longevity is 1 scoop per 40lb. You may want to try 2 scoops a day - that is what my hounds get.

He used to get 2 scoops but now that he's not eating as much, it's hard to get the 2 scoops in.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, the reason I chose Boswellia is because it's been shown to help iwth IBD so I figured it was least likely to cause digestive upset and might even help temper the effects of hte other supplements we were starting her on. Unfortunately, although I'm not positive, I think it makes her stool a little soft. :rolleyes: Each dog is different though and there is a lot of good evidence out there that it supports bowel health. No idea about yucca. Same thing with curcumin, good anti-inflammatory, supposedly can help with intestinal health, but lots of people report stool issues iwth that one. So I think you kind of never know, I say order both and see which one sits best with Sparks. :)

I order my Boswellia from Puritan's Pride btw. I think the website is just www.puritan.com. It's very inexpensive there - no idea about quality control.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kari, the reason I chose Boswellia is because it's been shown to help iwth IBD so I figured it was least likely to cause digestive upset and might even help temper the effects of hte other supplements we were starting her on. Unfortunately, although I'm not positive, I think it makes her stool a little soft. :rolleyes: Each dog is different though and there is a lot of good evidence out there that it supports bowel health. No idea about yucca. Same thing with curcumin, good anti-inflammatory, supposedly can help with intestinal health, but lots of people report stool issues iwth that one. So I think you kind of never know, I say order both and see which one sits best with Sparks. :)

I order my Boswellia from Puritan's Pride btw. I think the website is just www.puritan.com. It's very inexpensive there - no idea about quality control.

I get Sparks milk thistle from there too

How much of the Boswellia do you give?

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The Tilford's book Herbs for Pets says that both are anti-inflammatory & appetite stimulants (they work on healing gut problems, which helps nutrients be absorbed better thus the animal feels better & eats more). I'm pretty sure you can use both together but I've heard yucca being used for pain relief more than boswellia.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Goldie had an inoperable bone chip that caused him pain. Yucca, Fresh Factors, and an occassional Ecogesic worked great for him. He got yucca twice a day. Used the Solid Gold kind. Had to mix it with honey in a little cup as it is very bitter. Saw no side effects and he took it for many years.

Edited by racindog

Kari, is there anyway you could try a chiropractic treatment on him?? It helps my 2 tremendously..Just a thought

My vet isn't recommending chiro or accupuncture but I looked into it anyway.

I found a greyhound vet about 1/2 an hour away who can do it but the issue would be how I get him there.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I give Power drops of Yucca Intensive,, about 6 drops morning and evening, in his food. He doesn't care if it's in there or not.

I tried it, and don't think it tastes very good.. so a picky eater may not like it.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I get Sparks milk thistle from there too

How much of the Boswellia do you give?

500 mg 3x/day. The capsules are 250 mg so I started with 1 capsule 3x/day and worked up to 2. Neyla is 60 lbs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I recently add Boswellia to Fletcher's supplement cocktail. I think it made his stool a little soft, but practically everything does, and it isn't enough to be a problem. It may get better as his system adjusts. Fletcher has IBD, so I am very careful about what he eats. He is not a picky eater AT ALL :rolleyes: so I can't help you with the palatability.

I don't see how acupuncture could hurt him, and It was a huge help for Sugar when she had her back problems. Can he not get in the car?

Guest Swifthounds

I give Bosewllia and S.O.D. (an enzyme that helps the Boswellia absorption and effectiveness) and have seen improvments in mobility, appetite, and general attitude in all three of my seniors (11, 13, and almost 14). I get both from Puritan's Pride as well at the above website address. Two Boswellia and two S.O.D. daily. They're not crazy about the Boswellia capsules at times, but all three will actually eat and chew the S.O.D.