Update On Midas' Kidney Funk...

Guest EmilyLH

Guest EmilyLH

We're finally in Idaho -- and finally were able to get Midas to a greyhound vet about an hour away from us. That's the good news of this post.

The bad news -- his levels have elevated. BUN is at a 37 (was a 35.1) and the Creatinine is now a 4.1 (was a 3). They did another quick U/S on him and had a hard time finding the kidneys -- rather, what was left of them. Took blood and urine to run some tests. They're putting him at a stage 3 of 4 for kidney failure. :(

Started us on a new kidney food -- Purina NF ? Has anyone used this before? The new vet doesn't think Midas is incontinent -- rather the overconsumption of water due to the kidney problems is actually creating an overload of water, thus appearing for him to be incontinent. He recommended I give him the Proin yet, as well as the Enalapril.

We have to return in 3 weeks for another blood/urine test -- he'd like to check the phosphorus and other levels to see how he's adjusting on this food. (Now only if he will eat, he's losing weight as well as his appetite :( ) He said depending on the phosphorus level, he may need some type of phosphorus binder.

As this continues, Midas wakes up in the morning with wet blankets. Has anyone with this issue in their greyhounds ever used a belly band at night to help with the incontinence leak? My poor washer will be short lived if I continue washing blankets and bedding at this rate. I thought about pee pads at the bottom of the blankets to save my carpet, but still doesn't help the issue of the blankets. And where are the best belly bands to purchase, if this is a good route?

I think he'll like the NF-- dogs seem to like it better than KD. My girl ate the canned version. One thing I will say is it is fatty and it will make loose stools in some hounds. You do have the option of home cooking too. If you would like I can recc. a veterinary nutrionist that will design a recipe for you--- but, heads up --- you have to like to cook!

Guest Swifthounds

I wouldn't opt for any of the prescription kibbles over a homemade diet, unless homemade was really not something you could do. You probably want to join K9Kidneys group on yahoo - plenty of great help there from the people know have loads of experience and wonderful support. The NF is somewhat better than the Hills k/d - and more palatable.