Em Has A Bad Limp

Guest mhall

Well, Em's back from x-rays and peacefully snoozing. She was acting quite strange when we first got her home - heart beating really fast, panting and refusing to do anything other than stand in the middle of the livingroom. We eventually got her into a bed and she finally settled down.

X-rays revealed absolutely nothing. I'm both super relieved and a little frustrated. She is still really limpy with the added Tramadol, and vet thinks for most soft tissue injury we should be seeing improvement by now. We'll be seeing the surgeon who diagnosed Tarmac with osteo after the E vet we took him to f'd up x-rays. He's a good diagnostician so I'm hoping he'll be able to figure this out.

Guest BlueCrab

Well here's a stoopid question, but having just gone thru this with Trixie, did you check for corns or other indications of a foreign body in a paw pad?

We had a BAD limp in her right front that got worse and wouldn't go away. Discovered corns, treated via a variety of recommended treatments, even went so far as the x-rays all 'round the front just to settle my nerves, but no luck. Worse and worse. One step away from lasering open the pad to look for a foreign body, we tried duct tape on the corn which worked like magic.

Not to minimize your baby's pain, or your worry, but just making sure you've exhausted all avenues.

Not a stupid question at all. We've gone over both back feet with a flashlight, and can't find anything wring. Vet also looked at them really thoroughly while Em was sedated for the x-rays and couldn't find any evidence of a foreign body, corn or anything else.

We're stumped.

Guest BlueCrab

Sorry about that - somehow I missed that you'd already been asked the question. Sorry you're so stumped by this. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers that a SIMPLE (meaning cheap and not worrisome) explanation surfaces soon.

I would think osteo to the point of constant limping would be fairly easy to see on an x-ray. Even I could see it in Argos's, and I'm pretty "slow" when it comes to medical stuff. Maybe a tick related problem, as mentioned above, or an MRI would be in order?

:goodluck and :kiss2 for your girlie

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Sorry I have not read the entire thread -- have you done a TBD panel?

Yep, her group did one in June shortly before we brought her home and it was negative for Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and Anaplasmosis. She's been on tick preventative all summer and fall. We can certainly retest if there would be value to doing so, though I think my vet feels TBD is unlikely at this point.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

Sorry I have not read the entire thread -- have you done a TBD panel?

Yep, her group did one in June shortly before we brought her home and it was negative for Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and Anaplasmosis. She's been on tick preventative all summer and fall. We can certainly retest if there would be value to doing so, though I think my vet feels TBD is unlikely at this point.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

Well that doesn't cover babesia, which she could have been exposed to, but I agree this doesn't sound like a TBD. Sorry you don't have answers, but at least the x-ray did not show signs of osteo. I'm with Christie, thinking the osteo would be visible on x-ray now, assuming your vet has good equipment and you could get a well magnified view?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok here is a way out chance...

I was at Bluegrass this year and Dr Cuoto spoke. He described a hound that exhibited refusal to use a rear leg. As well as the hound would sometimes "knuckle over" on said leg. He found the problem to be a blood clot in the rear leg artery. I belive the treatment was baby asprin. I dont remember the dosage or anything else. Maybe send a consult email to Dr Cuoto at OSU and ask about that specific issue? Just thinking outside the box. Good luck.

Chad

Well, Em's back from x-rays and peacefully snoozing. She was acting quite strange when we first got her home - heart beating really fast, panting and refusing to do anything other than stand in the middle of the livingroom. We eventually got her into a bed and she finally settled down.

X-rays revealed absolutely nothing. I'm both super relieved and a little frustrated. She is still really limpy with the added Tramadol, and vet thinks for most soft tissue injury we should be seeing improvement by now. We'll be seeing the surgeon who diagnosed Tarmac with osteo after the E vet we took him to f'd up x-rays. He's a good diagnostician so I'm hoping he'll be able to figure this out.

I'm glad to hear that nothing 'yacky' was seen on the xray :) Our Ned (lurcher) slipped and fell whilst running into the house just before Christmas a couple of years ago and although he didn't really limp immediately afterwards, he did start to limp after exercise a few days later. He was only a year old but I had all the same thoughts and fears as you prior to xray. His was a soft tissue injury and it took literally months for it to heal completely.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!