Em Has A Bad Limp

Guest mhall

Emily is having some sort of problem with her left back leg/hip. A few times over the summer/early fall she developed a small limp after an unusually long walk/wiping out while running in the yard. It always went away after a day or two of rest, so we didn't worry too much about it.

She starting limping again, badly, on Monday. Based on how she's moving the problem seems to be in her hip. She really doesn't like bearing any weight on that leg, and is having difficulty getting up the few stairs to our apartment and lying down/standing up. I really hate seeing her in pain :(

She's seen the vet, is scheduled for x-rays at the beginning of next week (soonest we could get her in without leaving her there all day due to our work schedules) and has started taking metacam. We also have her on glucosamine and chondroitin.

Questions for y'all, as I know I will be on tenterhooks until we get x-ray results back:

-Is 4 too young for osteosarcoma? I'm getting a bit freaked out because the location and symptoms are exactly the same as they were for Tarmac.

- 4 seems young for arthritis though too. Do some racers get arthritis fairly early on?

- Is it possible that an old, undiagnosed racing injury is acting up? I know she did take a pretty bad spill during one of her races.

- How long does metacam usually take to start working for something like arthritis? We haven't seen any improvement after two days.

Answers to my questions/good thoughts/any ideas about what this might be are appreciated! I'm trying really hard not to worry too much :)

I don't really have answers to your questions. Lots of "maybe"s. :( It's impossible to not worry, but at least know you're not worrying alone. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Energy11

Sorry Em is feeling badly.

Unfortunately, Osteo knows no age boundries, but, dont' think that way now.

The Metacam IS a good painkliller (NSAID), and should start working 35-40 minutes after taking it.

Looks like you are doing all the right things, and yes, I'd suggest the x-ray, just to put your mind at ease. If there is an old, underlying injury, no, four isn't too young for arthritis.

Sending love, hugs and prayers your way!

Paul had a soft tissue injury (how I don't know) at age 4-1/2, shortly after we adopted him. Two weeks on deramaxx and he was fine. Hoping your issues with Em will be similar. I was very nervous too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm sorry hear Emily is limping. To answer your questions, there are many things that can cause a limp. Yes, unfortunately Osteo is one of them but I agree with Dee, let's not think of that now. Metacam works wonders for our pups and should take affect quickly. It could well be an old racing injury and it could be other things. Pain control is a good first step and we'll cross our fingers the x-rays show nothing serious (I wish you could get them sooner just to calm your nerves).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My Finn was diagnosed with arthritis in his wrist when he was only 3.5 years old. It is possible. Hoping Em's issues are simple and treatable.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

-Is 4 too young for osteosarcoma? I'm getting a bit freaked out because the location and symptoms are exactly the same as they were for Tarmac.

Unfortunately, no. :(Very glad you're getting x-rays soon. Holding Em in my prayers for it being nothing serious. :hope Many hugs to you, too... not knowing is so very difficult. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

You are all great - thanks for your good thoughts, prayers, and for worrying along with me! I am trying really hard to operate under the assumption this is nothing serious, but it's hard when the symptoms seem to so closely mirror our previous experience with osteo.

Paul had a soft tissue injury (how I don't know) at age 4-1/2, shortly after we adopted him. Two weeks on deramaxx and he was fine. Hoping your issues with Em will be similar. I was very nervous too.

My Finn was diagnosed with arthritis in his wrist when he was only 3.5 years old. It is possible. Hoping Em's issues are simple and treatable.

These stories are reassuring. I do tend to think it's something more insidious/chronic than a soft tissue injury since she was having some problems over the summer. I would be okay with arthritis though - at least that is manageable!

Pain control is a good first step and we'll cross our fingers the x-rays show nothing serious (I wish you could get them sooner just to calm your nerves).

We would have gotten her in sooner, but decided Em's fear of the vet trumps our fear of the unknown. If we did it this week, she would have to remain at the office all day. She's scheduled for first thing Tuesday morning and I will pick her up just as soon as the sedative has worn off enough for her to walk (we're pretty darn sure she'll need to be sedated).

She'll get her third dose of metacam tonight. If we don't start to see improvement by tomorrow, we may ask for a script for tramadol.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering about the possibility of tick borne diseases causing the limping her group did a tick panel on her this summer. It was negative.

Many prayers for your baby!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

:grouphug

Passion was limping this summer after our lake walks. I'd rest her a day or so and we'd walk again. Then she'd start limping again. My vet was at my house and noticed the limp and said I need to bring her in. I of course freaked out thinking "C". Did the x-ray and turns out she had a soft tissue infection which was starting to get to the bone. She was on antibiotics for 4 months and they did another x-ray and it was gone. She did limp the entire time in Dewey but she was stepped on so I'm thinking her foot is also going to be a little sensitive.

Try not to freak out, it's hard not to, I know :(

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Well, it's been 4 days and the Metacam isn't working. Called the vet this morning. She juggled around her appointment schedule so we could bring Em in for x-rays on Monday instead of Tuesday, and I'll pick up a script for Tramadol when I get out of work. I'm worried. Our vet is worried. It's gonna be a long weekend.

Yep, we've gone over her foot numerous times with a flashlight checking every little nook and cranny. Foot is fine. It seems to be a hip problem/upper femur based on how she's walking and how she reacted to the vet manipulating her leg.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

:hope Ditto what everyone above said & yes unfortunately cancer doesn't know any age. It could be an old muscle injury from racing. Keep us posted, you're both in my prayers.

Guest peacehound

My girl Peace has had a limp on and off ever since I adopted her as a bounce three years ago. Sometimes it goes away in a couple days but has lasted up to a month on and off. It is so, so scary having a hound that limps. Best of luck to you and your girl.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Arthritis can occur very young at the site of an injury, even one that may have appeared healed.

Sadly, four is NOT too young for osteo, but it IS fairly unusual that young.