Difference In Kibble Bag To Bag? Totw

Guest PiagetsMom

Guest PiagetsMom

I really can't figure this out.......I've had both the pups on TOTW Pacific Stream for quite a while. About 6 months ago, Piaget became a really "iffy" eater, but we had a really hot summer here and I figured it was probably the heat. Last bag I bought I got at the same feed store I always get it at. When I opened it, I immediately noticed a difference - the kibble was larger and flatter and lighter in color. I even went out to the garbage to check the bag to make sure that I'd picked up the Pacific Stream - yep, no mistake. :huh So I figure, okay, maybe they've made a small change in the formula.

Here's the thing - Piaget immediately became an eager eater again. She was begging for meals right along with Mirage, eating with gusto, and licking her bowl clean! It was wonderful!

This weekend it was time for another bag of kibble and I opened it last night.......it's back to the smaller, darker pieces and Piaget refused breakfast this morning, even though I can tell that she really wanted to eat. She's followed me around all morning, but every time I put the kibble back down she refuses it.

I'm not going through this again with her - I'm going to try a different formula for her. I don't know what the heck was the deal with the last bag of the Pacific Stream, but I sure wish I knew! Wondering if anyone else using the TOTW has noticed any differences lately?

I noticed the same thing but with a different brand (Blue Buffalo - Wilderness Salmon). My avid eater just... stopped! With additives, I got her through the bag. That's when I switched her from Blue Buffalo to TOTW and my avid eater immediately returned. But I'm not feeding the salmon flavor, I'm feeding the bison/venison one (TOTW - High Prairie). After I got her through that bag of Blue Buffalo that she didn't want to eat, I began to wonder... do they know something that we don't? Can they tell if there is something "off" with the kibble? Is it something to do with the fish protein?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KennelMom

I've noticed the change in TOTW from bag to bag too. Kibble size/shape/color. Duh, I hadn't put two and two together but a couple pups have had some weird poop issues lately and I wonder if it's been something in the food. We don't really have any picky eaters. A bag only lasts us about 2 days, so they aren't on any one bag for very long...Need to fill the container with two more bags so I'll take pics if the kibble is different and email the company asking why.

eta: we feed High Prairie, so switching flavors might not solve your problem with the pickiness.

Edited by KennelMom

I use TOW for my EPI girl & she started with the High Prarie & I switched her to Pacific Stream when the feed store had special ordered it for a customer who later decided they didn't want it. Actually Noelle does well with either type. I do not empty her back into a container, just cut the top oped & scoop. Since Noelle has so much intestinal problems I would think any change would upset her right a way. My non EPI dogs love to get a small amount of TOW added to their regular food at the end of the month as a treat. I have noticed changes is the regular dogs' food this summer but figures it was due to the heat at the feed store's warehouse. Will see if there is any change next week when I go buy their Nov foods.

Guest Liz_in_PA

Mine don't like the Pacific Stream but like the two other flavors. What we also noticed is that they want us to get the 15 lb bag--maybe it gets stale by the time the end of the bag comes?

I feed TOTW PS, too. I have only noticed a slight difference in the size and color of the kibble of my last 2 bags. But, no changes in my 3's eating/pooping. :dunno

I've got to pick up 2 more bags today. I'll compare to the last of what's in my Vittles Vault...............

I've noticed size/shade variants quite often in my TOTW Pacific Stream. Also when I buy it in NY vs. in Iowa (manufactured at a different mill). I think I did inquire once about it and I think they said it was an issue of the processing equipment or something. I haven't had any problems with it from the eating/digestion side so have decided not to worry about it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Did anyone think to contact TOTW and ask about this? :blush

Seems to me I recall reading on the bag that size and color may vary from batch to batch and that it's normal. But, I'll let you know if I recall correctly, as I have to pick some up today.

Guest PiagetsMom

eta: we feed High Prairie, so switching flavors might not solve your problem with the pickiness.

I actually started them off on the High Prairie because you'd said that you fed it to all of your pups with good results. From what I remember, they both ate it well, but Mirage had loose poops on it so I switched to the Pacific Stream, which he does much better on. Piaget doesn't seem to have stomach issues like he does, but she's always been the pickier of the two so I'm hoping that maybe putting her back on the High Prairie might be a solution.

I just wish that whatever had been in my last bag of the Pacific Stream had been something permanent because she obviously loved it. While it's not necessary, it is nice to have them on the same kibble, but I'm afraid I could go through months of begging her to eat before I lucked out and got a bag that she eats well again.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Did anyone think to contact TOTW and ask about this? :blush

Seems to me I recall reading on the bag that size and color may vary from batch to batch and that it's normal. But, I'll let you know if I recall correctly, as I have to pick some up today.

Back from the store....nothing on the bag about differences in size/color of the kibble. When compared to my last bag, the kibble in the new bags is a little bit bigger and flatter.....but, the color is very, very close.

Must have been a different brand (I've been through many) that stated differences in size/color were normal.

Interesting. I have noticed the same thing-- changes in size/color, and even shiny-ness (like something slightly oily sprayed on the kibble?) from bag to bag of TOTW PS. Thankfully my girls are both generally good eaters, though Alimony occasionally gets picky for a meal or two. Now that y'all mention it, I'll try to pay closer attention to exactly when Ali gets picky. Maybe see if it's right after starting a new bag...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I've emailed a link to this thread to the TOTW company, inviting them to respond. I told them that I will happily post their official reply in this thread. Their automated confirmation said they'll respond within 2 business days. I hope they do!

Lisa B.

Here's what the vet said:

The kibble can certainly vary somewhat in size and color (and even shine) from batch to batch. The reason for the variation of each of these is as follows:

1. Size – there is an accepted range of size for each of the products. The way the kibble is formed is by knife blades cutting each kibble as the mixture is forced through a die plate. When the knives are brand new (and very sharp), the kibble will run on the small end of the accepted range. As the knives get dull, right before they are replaced, the kibble will run on the large end of the accepted range. If you happen to buy one bag with the small kibble and one with the large kibble, the difference will be apparent.

2. Color – there seems to be more variation in the color of the grain free kibbles from batch to batch as compared to the more traditional formulas. This is because the animal protein sources vary in color and the potatoes also vary in color depending on the darkness of the skins. Since these are prominent ingredients in the formulas, any color differences in these ingredients are quite apparent in the food. There are not any dyes or colors added to the food to mask any natural variation in the color.

3. Shine – there is fat applied externally to the kibble, along with the natural flavor and probiotics. The amount of fat applied to the outside of the kibble may vary slightly from batch to batch. The reason for this is that the internal fat (from the ingredients and the fat or oil added to the recipe) can vary. The food always has the same amount of fat from batch to batch and this is controlled by the application of the precise amount of external fat depending on the amount of internal fat present. This is why the food is tested constantly throughout the cooking process. When there is more external fat, the kibble will look more shiny (also can look darker).

Lisa B.

Guest PiagetsMom

Thanks for sharing that. I can tell you that I find it hard to believe that the "look" of the kibble is the reason that Piaget ate the last bag so well, so I have to think that there's also some difference in smell or taste as well. Maybe it's the difference in the amount of external fat that's applied :dunno

Guest JollyRoger

PrairieProf and Ownedbysummer are pretty much right on. Color and kibble variations usually come from either a natural difference from fish to fish and/or processing plant to plant.

We get returns on food bags for variations in kibble often. Sometimes on a weekly basis. Some dogs take to the different kibbles just fine and some don't.

TOTW is produced by Diamond dog food who has several plants. Blue Buffalo is made by one of the Diamond plants, or at the Dad's dog food plant in Meadville PA.

The best tip I can give is to check the product stamps on the bags. (Usually found with the exp date) Bags from the same plant/batch will have the same number.

:)

I had the same problem with Gee, one bag she showed little interest in. I assumed it was the flavor she didn't like. I since switched her to the duck formula and have had no problems at all. Apparently she could smell the difference when I used the fish formula. I also noticed some bags smelled stronger than other. Since I've put her on the duck, I've not noticed it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PiagetsMom

I almost hate to jinx us, but the last couple of days I've tried Piaget on the High Prairie - she gives it a :thumbs-up I was worried about poops, but they seem to be okay, so I'm hoping I can keep her happy here. She's back to licking the bowl clean, and that makes me happy!

Mirage would eat anything I think, and he's still scarfing down the Pacific Stream, so with his more sensitive stomach I'll keep him on it as long as he's happy with it.