Corn Relief...what To Expect?

Guest Hokiebuck

Guest Hokiebuck

Cash has had his first corn, and after many failed attempts on my own, I decided to take him to the Vet to have it hulled. This was actually the first time my vet had tried hulling, but with the Grassmere directions in front of us, we gave it a shot. It went well, and Cash seemed to tolerate it ok. I did buy the cream that Murray Ave. Apothocary developed, and I am applying that now. My question is, Cash is still limping (although less than before). Does he have to wait until the hole completely heals before the limping subsides? Is it possible the vet didn't get all of the corn? It did look pretty small when he took it out. Basically what should I expect post-procedure with regard to limping?

Thanks!

Jack always limps for a while after a hulling--either at the vet or at home. I think it just gets sore from being messed with.

Unfortunately, Jack's corns are many (three corns on three different feet), so he limps ALL of the time if on the ceramic tile. :( I have rugs throughout the kitchen for him. He's a lot better on carpet.

I think I would pay a pretty hefty price for a corn treatment that WORKS. We tried the Murray Ave. cream for three months, and it didn't work for Jack. Now I'm using duct tape, and am able to peel off part of the corns every few days.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest TeddysMom

I have a new boy with horrible corns. I have been hulling them as much as he will let me, using corn remover on them and duct tape. I also have been rubbing his pads with a salve like bag balm to heal his cracked pads. I have never dealt with corns either human or dog but he sure has a hard time walking. He has two that are the size of dimes and almost cover the toe pad and several that are the size of a pencil eraser. He has only been here a few days, how long does it that to see any results from the duct tape? He does not like to walk on the floor but will try to go from dog bed to dog bed to get where he needs to go. I made a path from the couch to the water dish with foam pads and he eats on one of the foam beds. I feel quilty making him go outside.

It took a couple of weeks, I think, before I saw a difference with the duct tape. Just change it daily--it does tend to come off at times anyway, so you'll want to keep an eye out to make sure it's actually still ON. It softens the corns, so you're able to peel off some.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest TeddysMom

It took a couple of weeks, I think, before I saw a difference with the duct tape. Just change it daily--it does tend to come off at times anyway, so you'll want to keep an eye out to make sure it's actually still ON. It softens the corns, so you're able to peel off some.

I've been changing the duct tape twice a day and since he doesn't walk around much, it has been staying on pretty well.

Guest BlueCrab

I'm just catching up with this now. I'm a strong believer in Duct Tape. We tried hulling, dremmeling, daily soaks and kerasolv with baby socks for 3 months, Therapaws, all to no avail. As a last resort before surgery we tried duct tape.

I'd have to look back at my prior posts, but I believe I started it on Sept 2. Within two weeks or so the offending corn on the right front had pretty much resolved itself, and as of today (11/8), no corn reappearance on the right front, no limp. Voila! We went to Wisconsin the week of September 18, and the corn had pretty much worked itself out by then. I used our Therapaws just to be safe for the week, but she had stopped limping by the end of that week so off came the boots.

I took a 1" strip off a roll of duct tape and stuck it to the fridge. Used scissors and cut a tiny piece, just a touch larger than the corn itself. Left it on for a couple days til it started to wear off, then tugged it off (kind of scary at first - you think you might tug off the whole pad) and replaced it immediately with another piece. Trixie never bothered it and never made a peep even when I was tugging off the old stuff. It left a bit of sticky residue, but I always put another piece on immed so residue didn't make a difference. I wouldn't replace 2X a day, though. I'd leave a piece on for a day or two at least to let it take effect better.

After a couple weeks, the corn was working itself out of the pad. I could hook a fingernail under it and tug at it bit by bit. When it wouldn't come any more, back on would go the tape, which I'd usually cover with a Therapaws for walks, esp on hard surfaces and gravel. A couple days later, tug out a bit more. Eventually the whole thing just slipped out. Kind of icky and left a bit of a hole, but Trixie didn't seem to mind.

Guest TeddysMom

It has been 5 days now of treatment on Jiro's corns. He is able to put pressure on his worst foot now but still walks like he is walking on hot coals. I keep dremeling as much as I can, put the salicylicaid acid twice a day and covering with duct tape. Luckily he just lays there and sleeps while I am messing with his feet. I am also rubbing in a foot cream on his other pads to keep them soft. Anything else I can do other than having the vet surgically remove them? None of the vets in the practice has any experience with corns but are more then willing to do their reseach and try it. I just am hesitant and want to do all I can first.

I've been changing the duct tape twice a day and since he doesn't walk around much, it has been staying on pretty well.

I have had better luck leaving the duct tape on for a couple days versus changing it all the time. Also, I've found that not all duct tapes are a like. Use the real Duct Tape brand tape for the best results for getting the tape to stay on the corn. I also dremel the corn when I remove the tape and put the tape back on.

Edited by Fasave

Back to your original question: Edie has had her corn hulled by the vet repeatedly. Sometimes she's sound after a day or two, sometimes she continues to limp on hard surfaces, albeit not as badly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest BlueCrab

It has been 5 days now of treatment on Jiro's corns. He is able to put pressure on his worst foot now but still walks like he is walking on hot coals. I keep dremeling as much as I can, put the salicylicaid acid twice a day and covering with duct tape.

I'd be hesitant to continue using the salycitic acid in combo with all the other stuff (actually, I didn't know it was safe to use on dogs) :dunno . I know when I've used it for warts on my own feet, it can become quite ouchy after the acids worked its way in and the tissue in that area becomes quite soft. So that may be contributing to the "walking on hot coals" aspect. Perhaps hold off on the salycitic acid for a couple days or a week and just try the duct tape alone for a week or two. Might give the ouchy acid part a chance to toughen up a bit and the tape will have a little time to work on its own. But I'd give the tape by itself a good two weeks to do its thing.

I've heard that using better quality duct tape does make a difference. I have no idea what brand we have. I just grab whatever roll is nearest and cut a piece off. It sticks pretty good for a couple days unless we do a lot of walking on pavement or in rain or really dewy grass. Then it might come off after a day. I did use the tape on the corn with Therapaws over top for extended walks on gravel or pavement.

Oh - and hulling made no difference for us. We went to a reputable vet for it (our vets, too, had no experience with corns), but Trixie walked out as lame after as she was when she went in, and there was no improvement from the hulling.

Edited by BlueCrab