First Aid Kit

Guest alf7199

Guest alf7199

When we adopted our grey in June 2009, I assembled a small "doggie" first aid then but several times I haven't had what I needed. Luckily the store was on the way home for DH. With winter quickly approaching, (I live in Utah on top of a mountain at 6400', our first winter here), I am looking for any and all suggestions about what to stock up on from basics to "I'm glad I had this" items. Thanks!

Rabies Certificate, vaccine certificate, antihistamine, saline wound wash, vitamin E ointment, left over metacam, rescue remedy, pepto, first aid spray, homeo pet digestive upsets, baby socks, A&D ointment, gauze pads (multiple sizes), survival wrap, aspirin, sticky medical wrap, hydrogen peroxide, betadine, cleansing wipes, liquid bandage, bacitracin, eye wash, hydrocortisone cream and any left over meds Bu has been on, and a card with all his microchip info.

Guest KennelMom

My 'everything under the sun' kit...bold are what's usually in my travel kit, though that varies depending on where we're going, who's going, how long, etc....

•  
  • The phone number of our vet, 2 e-vets and ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (also programmed into my cell phone)
  • lots of vet wrap 2 and 4 inch
  • Hydrogen Peroxide (to induce vomiting)
  • small bottle of Rubbing Alcohol
  • saline
  • bottle of water
  • collapsible bowl
  • Wound cleaner like Betadine or Nolvasan
  • Triple Antibiotic Ointment
  • Styptic Powder (Not only for use on nails, styptic powder also a works wonderfully on small wounds that bleed a lot, like on the ears or tail.)
  • Thermometer
  • tramadol, flagyl, valium
  • Scissors
  • Sterile Non-Adherent pads
  • Sterile Gauze pads
  • Roll of Gauze
  • Tweezers
  • Bag Balm
  • splint
  • medical tape
  • 2-3 Maxi-Pads, unscented (These are great to apply pressure to a bleeding wound as the pad will be able to absorb quite a bit of blood.)
  • Muzzle (In my emergency kit, I use a cloth muzzle simply because it's easier to travel with than a plastic basket muzzle.)
  • Oral Syringe
  • Q-tips
  • 30 cc tube of Pro-Pectalin Oral Gel (This is a great product for soothing the GI tract and helping firm up stool that's loose due to anxiety, like from traveling, or a change in food)
  • Hand Towel
  • Clean T-shirt (for covering large wounds on the chest that can't be easily covered with a bandage)
  • Clean boxer shorts (ditto as above but for the rear end of the dog)
  • Ace Bandage
  • (Nose Syringe - one of those snot sucker things for human babies. This is the only item I've never actually used but it seems like one of those things that falls in to the *omg if we only had a snot sucker!" category. We happened to get one for when the puppies were born, so I just keep it in the first aid kit. I didn't actually buy one specifically for our first aid kit)
  • Pen Light
  • Nail Clippers
  • Towel or Blanket (These can be used to keep a dog warm or as a stretcher)
  • Cold Pack and Heat Pack
  • Slip Lead (like they use at your vet office because they are very compact...an old leash would work too)
  • various size Zip Lock Bags (can be used to collect and transport specimens like stool, urine and "Hey doc, my dog ate this!")

If I only had room for a few items, I'd pick hydrogen peroxide, sterile wound pads, vet wrap, styptic powder and the drugs B)

I really don't use EMT gel very much anymore. It's messy and I've found wounds heal pretty darn good without it. The spray is nice for it's bittering agent so we usually do have that laying around somewhere.

Check the expiration dates on items in your first aid kit twice a year. I pick up travel sizes for items that aren't used frequently, like hydrogen peroxide. Not only is it easier to put together a travel first aid kit with less bulky items, but travel or trial sized items may be less expensive to stock and re-stock your kit (which I REALLY need to do!).

One thing you don't see a lot of in my kit are OTC medications. I'm a minimalist when it comes to medications...this goes for us and the dogs. If my dog has a slight tummy upset, they don't necessarily need anything for it. I don't treat every minor symptom a dog has, especially if a cause can't be ascertained, because you don't want to mask something that might be the early stages of a more serious condition. If minor symptoms persist, you should always go to the vet.

The list may seem long, but I have used every item on this list at least once over the years and, I promise, it all packs together pretty solidly. Granted, I've traveled often with dogs who are lure coursing, so my first aid kit is a little heavy on items for treating acute injuries or travel induced issues.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Sunset123

I was very lucky to win an enormous first aid kit this summer in a picnic raffle.

-utility multi-tool

-emergency space blanket

-small flashlight

-digital thermometer

-collapsible portable bowl

-triple-antibiotic eye ointment

-eye irrigating solution

-lubricant eye drops (artificial tears)

-triple-antibiotic wound ointment

-eye wash

-3x3 gauze sponges

-chlorhexidine 3x3 gauze sponges

-4 inch cotton cast padding

-3 inch cotton cast padding

-non-adhesive wound dressings

-hemostats

-scissors

-bulb syringe

-4, 3, and 2 inch vet wrap

-3 inch roll gauze

-2 and 1 inch adhesive tape

-packaged sterile gloves

-more latex gloves, non-sterile

-liquid dish detergent

-KY jelly

-a ton of bandaids

-nylon slip lead or multi-function strap

-a veterinary emergency medical manual

I also will add to the kit, before we take our next road trip, immodium and a couple single-serving boxes of Pedialyte. Those things have come in handy.

Edited by Sunset123

Guest KennelMom

oooh....the gloves are a great idea. I always have some around the house but it never occurred to me to stick some in the first aid kit for traveling!

Guest Energy11

From our first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. ...

FIRST AID KIT MUST-HAVES:

Bandaids of ALL sizes. Antibacterial ointment or Trypzyme-V for wound coverage. Toddler Socks and booties. I recommend toddler shoe size 3-8.5 for the socks , and booties from The Voyagers (high ones). Transpore tape. Stretch gauze (Kling) to wrap wounds or vet wrap. Keep an old magazine or two and some masking tape for temporary splints. Benedryl (generic is fine) 25mg... give (2) of these, every four hours, if you know your dog has been bitten by an insect, or you know for sure he or she is allergic to an ingested food. Deramaxx 75mg, (*my choice) for pain and inflammation. You CAN use one BUFFERED 81 mg aspirin for pain, but not for extended use. Amodium AD (generic is fine) (1) tablet two times a day for diarrhea. Pepcid AC, 20 mg, (generic fine) (1) tablet a day, or ½ twice a day for gas and stomach irritation. Small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting. (2) tablespoons until vomiting occurs. (For seizure dogs) A syringe of pre-loaded Valium for trans-rectal use.

Include your personal vet’s number, your e-vet’s number, and the Animal Poison Control number (888) 426-4435, in your phone and your first aid kit. It is also a good idea to have and program the number of the nearest vet when you are traveling. ***ALL OTC MEDICATIONS, DOSAGES AND RECOMMENDATIONS HAVE BEEN REVIEWED BY A LICENSED VETERINARIAN ***MEDICATIONS LIKE VALIUM AND DERAMAXX CAN ONLY BE PRESCRIBED BY A LICENSED VET.