Eating Raw = High Creatinine And Bun?

Josie

It can elevate them somewhat, but I wouldn't expect them to be more than a tad beyond "greyhound normal" (which tends to be higher than "other breed normal" for creatinine). BUN and BUN:creatinine ratio should still be normal. The dogs I've fed all-meat diets didn't have any elevation but YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have a link to a good article on raw fed blood values, but it's on my work computer. If I don't post tomorrow, feel free to PM me a reminder and I'll dig it up. I tend to be very forgetful so seriously, PM me if you want it. ;)

Are you concerned about your pup's values? Feel free to post the values and the normal ranges from the lab. They do run high on greys already so you may be just fine.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sometimes it does seem to elevate creatinine and BUN, but you can do a simple urine check to discover if there's a true problem with the kidneys or not. It's called a protein:creatinine test and isn't even very expensive, but for some reason vets seem reluctant to offer it.

They told me Jack was in early kidney failure because his creatinine was high, but seeing as he was fed partly raw, I asked for the protein:creatinine test and it turned out just fine and nothing more was said. ;)

Here's a linkon the subject which is interesting.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

thanks for you replies!

Here a tread concerning Tuffy (first ever) blood test results:

blood test Tuffy

Talking to the vet yesterday and seing my concern he ask to bring Tuffy morning pee to do some testing... I just drop it off at the vet this morning. Suppose to have results this after-noon...

I did not tell the vet that we switch to raw feeding about 4 months ago... knowing that most vets desagree with raw feeding... maybe I should mention it... :unsure

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

If the USG is normal, there's no sign of infection and no protein, the raw diet probably doesn't matter, but may warrant consideration in the future if Tuffy's BUN and/or Creatinine values increase.

In my experience, the Veterinary profession in general "frowns on" (read: "hates") raw feeding - big time!

Will be anxiously awaiting the urinalysis results.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Yes, you need to let your vet know about the raw feeding. He might disagree, but he can't make you change if you choose not to, and he needs to know all the factors in order to manage your dog's health in the best way. :)

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/RawHelp/Raw_Food_Study.pdf

This link might help your vet figure things out.

I think that's the same link I posted! Great minds think alike. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Lots of things elevate BUN and creatinine. Dehydration is one of them but no one can look at a mere 2 blood values without any additional information and make a diagnosis. Blood work is immensely complex and it takes some very intense training to learn how to read it and you can't even start without having the whole picture.

Exactly! Any word on the urinalysis/specific gravity?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Exactly! Any word on the urinalysis/specific gravity?

no telephone today with results... I'll let you know as soon I have some tomorow.

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

some results.. the tech did not talk to the vet yet (will doi tomorow morning)...

she said the urine anylisis was consider normal

specific gravity: 1.0173

ratio normal

proteine is less the 0.05 (I did not ask what value this is!)

will have more info tomorow...

please give me your opinions on those numbers

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Was the urine a first morning sample?? If so 1.017 is pretty dilute. Ideally, you would like to see it above 1.030

yes first pee.

I talk to the vet, He is ok with the results and happy to see that the protein level are low.

He explains the USG by the fact that Tuffy takes dextab (makes him drink more)...

We will retest blood and urnine in February.

thank you for you replies and supoort :)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data