Baytril - Need Quick Answer Please

OMG, didn't the vet put a label on the prescription with the instructions???? If the thing is in a box, take the bottle/tube out of the box, sometimes they open the box and put the label on the thing itself. But it is an antibiotic and you can go to their website and perhaps learn what you need to know. Baytril

Ed.: Go here instead: Better Baytril link. There's even a dosage chart (upper right corner of this screen).

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

No literature - your basic snap-top pill container. I did check the Baytril site - saw nothing. I know some antibiotics like Clavamox should be given with food. In the absence of direction I am guessing it doesn't matter but was hoping someone might have a definitive answer.

Thanks Heather,

I found one site that discusses Baytril in rats. Among other things, it says this:

Antacids and dairy products containing Magnesium, Calcium, and Aluminum may prevent absorption of enrofloxacin. It is suggested to separate dosing from any of these products by 2 hours.

Other than this, I didn't see any warnings about Baytril and food...and this info is what I've always heard about people-antibiotics: that dairy products might prevent the antibiotic from working properly.

And I found this on the Pet-Meds site:

Do not use in pregnant or nursing animals. Do not give Baytril within 2 hours of giving an antacid or sucralfate, a vitamin/mineral product, or dairy products. Tell your veterinarian about any other medications your pet is being given.
Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It doesn't matter.

George was on Baytril for 14 weeks; I was told to give it to him after his last trip outside--the theory being for his very, very stubborn issue we wanted the medication to stay inside him as long as possible.

He didn't get it with food since he eats his dinner, obviously, well before last outs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck