Sore Toe On Grey, What Do I Do?

Guest Jollybug

Guest Jollybug

Jolly has had a bad toe for about a year now. It is his outer toe of his right back leg. He obviously hurt it somehow before we got him! It has always been really sore. Recently the nail fell off. He was ok for awhile, but now it has started to grow back and is very painful. He can only walk for a short time before he starts limping and biting at it. Has anyone ever had this experience with their grey. I am wondering if the toe nail needs to be removed. Jolly has been to a vet and had xrays. The toe is not broken, but his hock has been. What do you think?

Tough call. Does he appear to have an infection in that toe? How do his other toenails look?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The same thing happened to us. Leah was retired due to a broken toe (back right interior toe) , but after 8 months with me her nail fell off one day. Her toe had always been very tender and she did NOT want it touched. When this happened I rushed to the vet and she recommended the toe should be immediately removed. No xrays were taken - she said that once the nail bed is that compromised the toe is likely to have significant problems as well. Ends up she had a tumor for at least 14 months and the toe had never been broken. Thankfully the lab results of the tumor were benign and her recovery went just fine.

Today you'd never know she has a digit missing, she ran 33mph last weekend at our picnic.

I sure do hope things work out well for you and your Jolly and that you have a greyhound savvy vet to rely on.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

No advice...just good thoughts your way!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.