Collars

Guest shortGHgal

Oh, dear. A collar virgin!!!!! Yes, get a martingale collar. After you walk with the martingale collar, you can decide if you want to add something else. There are lots of wonderful places to order your collars from, such as Around The Hounds and 2 Hounds Design. Enjoy the beginning of your new collar collection! :lol I've had Summer since May of this year and I'm up to 16 collars now.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

You don't need to buy a "fancy" martingale that is especially wide or ornate, unless you choose to. I have a few, but not because they are necessary to the dog. Rather, it is because I like them.

When we adopted Naples, we received a 3/4" wide Lupine

martingale (known by Lupine as a "combo" collar on their website). These are not expensive.

Many groups provide Premier brand collars, such as those near the bottom of this page. These are even less expensive, and just as safe.

Most adoption groups provide one collar of one of these brands, as part of your adoption fee. This is all you NEED, though you may WANT more.

I very highly recommend martingales (also known as half-check or humane choke collars), because they are important for safety. Because a sighthound's head is similar in size to his neck, a traditional buckle collar can slip off very easily if the dog should back up. A martingale prevents this by tightening slightly whenever there is tension on the leash.

The biggest key is to properly fit these collars. This link will provide information how to do that, and your adoption group should be able to help.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm not big on gentle leaders as a whole, and even less so on greys. Lupine is an excellent collar. They are tough as nails, the design is woven in and they are guarenteed for life. We have one here that was in use for 10 years and looks just fine on Harley's Urn. They also provide a second non choking D ring for tags. So many new adopters don't know not to put tags on the D ring of a Martingale. Check their website for a retailer near you.

If you didn't get a Premier collar with your dog Petsemart sells basic martingales in red and black. That's all you need.

However, like Sarah said, what you want and can afford is a totally different matter. When I worked at Neiman-Marcus they instilled in us that we did not sell one thing people needed. We only sold thing people wanted. In general my dogs have had an everyday collar like Permier or Lupine and one or two fancy "go to meetin'" collars.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

NancyB sells gorgeous martingales for very little money! http://community.webshots.com/user/nancybnj

Don't buy a martingale before you know what hound you're getting and can measure his/her neck, though! For example, a lot of standard martingales are sized 14"-18" and they're too big for my average-sized female grey, whose neck is about 13" at the narrow part. Most adoption groups will send a hound home with a martingale and leash set anyway, so you really don't need to purchase anything in advance.

The nice thing about the fancier martingales is that most of them are custom-made when you order them, so the maker can adjust if you need something outside the standard size.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I, too, am a collar junkie! I'm not even going to tell how many I have because I would have to be embarrassed as I only have two dogs. I've bought from Nancy B's for years. In fact, I have one collar in particular that I love. My Jazz has worn it for about 6 years and the lining started to wear, but the trim still looked brand new. I emailed Nancy and she was kind enough to reline it for me so that I didn't have to throw away an otherwise perfect collar. This collar looks so good that a friend recently asked me if I had just bought it: I had just washed it!

My shoes may be worn down at the heals and I may wear last years fashions but my dogs walk in style!

june

Guest KennelMom

Get a martingale, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Though there are some beautiful collars out there if that kind of thing strikes your fancy. Just remember that the most important feature of a collar is that it works and is functional - made with quality materials, quality workmanship and it responds (chokes) quickly. I've had some collars that were beautiful, but the fabric and/or construction impeded their proper function.

I don't like gentle leaders or halties or even really harnesses (unless there's a medical reason). Hard to beat a well made martingale.

Guest HHHounds

3 teenagers to feed and dress - we just have the basic collar we received when we adopted our greys. They are practical but not pretty... Maybe we will be into those beautiful collars one day!!!

Guest tinams8

I emailed Nancy B and it bounced... anyone have another addy for her? Lucy needs a winter collar. She doesn't have any winter collars, and I certainly wouldn't want the Humane Society knocking on my door. :lol

Before I was all about the leather collars, all 5 of my pooches have 2 of them. And then one day I saw these martingales in bright colors and since then I'm hooked on martingales, they now have a few each. but here in Belgium they are almost impossible to find :(

So I buy in the States or the UK, but the shipping makes them expensive for me, otherwise I would have more of them :rolleyes:

I emailed Nancy B and it bounced... anyone have another addy for her? Lucy needs a winter collar. She doesn't have any winter collars, and I certainly wouldn't want the Humane Society knocking on my door. :lol

I also used the website email. It didn't bounce but your post is making me wonder if it got through? I hope so, I have a collar and leash that I want all picked out...

Lisa B.

Guest AlaniJoi

I just checked out Nancy B's collars and they are really nice! I think I'm gonna order ByeRun's Christmas collar from her soon! If you want a couple more suggestions, I've bought from these two stores on etsy.com and they not only beautiful collars but extremely durable. I'm also including pics of ByeRun in his collars...

1.http://www.etsy.com/people/TheHoundHaberdashery

ifb_fullxfull.6226133.jpg

2.http://www.etsy.com/people/Redfromsun

ifb_fullxfull.6226141.jpg

:blush I didn't realize the pics were so big! Sorry!

Nancy B. just got back to me and Summer's new poinsettia collar and leash set have now been ordered! I can hardly wait. They'll be quite the conversation piece when I take her to the seniors residence for therapy visits!

Poinsettia collar & leash

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.