Dustin Has The Big D

Dustin had a great trip to visit the DH in New York...but on the ride home had a lot of gas. Last night he was restless all night. This morning, he didn't want breakfast and went right out into the yard to do his thing. It was too dark to see what he was doing. When I came back from the barn and let him out before work, he went again and this time I could see it was the big D. Interested in treats, but not food - drinking a little water. Went home from work about 1:00 and let him out...more D. Then a half-hour later he went again with blood. The vet says to bring him in.....I am trying not to worry. I am hoping the stress of travelling and Halloween last night just irritated him - but the blood always concerns me.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hopefully he just needs some fluids and to rest his innards. Keep us posted!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like the stress of the trip may have caused a little bout of colitis. Would def see the vet for a course of flagyl. Also, I'd fast him for at least one meal, maybe two. Give his tummy a rest.

Guest TeddysMom

I am so sorry that Dustin is not well. Hopefully it is just an irritated tummy and easily treated with Flagyl. Please update when you can. Prayers and good thoughts will be coming from us for Dustin and you.

Guest Stripeyfan

Definitely a good idea to fast (make sure he takes water though), and then feed smaller regular amounts of a bland diet for a day or two if it's practical, until he's started to firm up again. You could also try adding slippery elm powder to some warm water to make a paste (when we do this for Kelly we always flake a few pieces of cooked chicken into it so he laps it up). This will line and soothe the GI tract and also help cushion his tummy against any meds he has to take. Make sure you give it at least an hour before or after meds, though, as it can stop them being absorbed properly if given at the same time.

Hope he feels better soon!

I try to fast them for 24 hrs then give boiled hamburger with either pasta, rice or potatoes.

Hopefully it's nothing and a round of metronidazole will clear things up. My vet just mentioned after Sparks was on metronidazole that if it doesn't work after 2-3 days, it's not going to work. So keep that in mind and you might need to put him on something else.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I hope it's nothing serious and that Dustin is feeling better soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you all! I will have to try the slippery elm! That I have not tried before.

I took him to the vet tonight. He had a low-grade fever ....101.7 so she thinks he is fighting something - though, other than the blood, the stool showed nothing horrible.

He is extremely sensitive - and, even though he had a good time, she said the trip probably stressed him a bit - and he might have picked up a bug given that he was exposed to an unfamiliar environment. Still possible it is colitis or IBS, but given the fever, she is more inclined to think GI bug (but she did say the fever could be dehydration). She also indicated that she lately has seen a lot of GI stuff!

He is on the metronidazole - which she did indicate should show impact within two days and a pill to coat his stomach. I put JJ on it precautionary as well. I hate giving antibiotics if I don't have to, but his stool was a tiny bit soft, too.

When we got home, Dustin actually had suddenly regained appetite and was scouring the floor for something. I boiled him a tiny bit of pasta (he has effectively been fasting since last night - and he is so skinny to begin with that he really can't afford to go too long). He also came in and drank water - though he will not touch the pedialyte!

I don't want to take him out unless he asks as I do not want to encourage him to do anything - I figure his system should rest!

Thank you all for your suggestions and well wishes!

Robin

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest Swifthounds

A bit of fasting and the slippery elm bark works wonders.

Did he, by chance drink the local water while you were traveling? That can cause GI distress.

A bit of fasting and the slippery elm bark works wonders.

Did he, by chance drink the local water while you were traveling? That can cause GI distress.

Wow...now there is a question that should have gone through my head. In fact, when I used to travel with my horse, Chip, showing, I had to bring water as he would not drink local waters...he was smart enough to know better! DH is actually on well water up there....I don't know anything about well water to know if it could have irritated him, but that is certainly something to consider!!! THANK YOU.