Phoenix Has A Neck Injury

robinw

A few weeks ago I noticed that Phoenix looked very uncomfortable when he was walking and that he back was bent like a "C". By the end of the day, he was fine. Two Saturdays ago, the same thing happened so we went off to the vet, who gave him a prescription of rimadyl and suggested I walk him with a harness and give him bed rest. He seemed fine until yesterday (I was bad and let him out with Treasure). Off to the vet again this morning. Since I gave him aspirin yesterday, Phene will be taking tramadol for the next two weeks, then will start on a long term regimen of rimadyl if his blood work shows that his liver and kidneys can take it.

Does anybody here have a similar situation? What have you done to make your dog more comfortable? He has been having difficulty laying down and walking. Any other advice?

thanks

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Aw, crap. I hope he is feeling better soonest.

When we have had these things, we try to do rest, rest, rest and more rest -- leash walking only, no stairs, no getting up on tall beds and sofas, no jumping in and out of car, no vigorously shaking of toys, etc. Some of those items can be harder to achieve than others. I do as many as possible until dog shows no evidence of pain when meds withdrawn + 3 weeks. Joseph guilted me into letting him back on the sofa much sooner than that, but I still kept him off the stairs (his incident was a short one).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What Jey said...plus muscle relaxers if you have them. The problem is that it is so easy to re-injure this type of thing. :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Swifthounds

Do you have a diagnosis? HAs the vet at least pinpointed the location of the source of the pain?

I would try S.O.D. and Boswellia. You can either get it in a tablet form with both supplements included, or separately from a human store. I use and like Puritan's Pride for the quality and value of their products. These two supplements work to combat inflammation without liver risks. I've been using it on my three seniors (they're almost 13, almost 14, and almost 11 respectively and each have different mobility issues) for about a year and have seen great improvements for all three.

You also might want to consider acupuncture.

I keep valium on hand for Gracie's back muscle spasms. Fortunately I haven't had to use it often.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh no, Robin. So sorry to hear Phoenix is in pain.

What Batmom said in spades!

We had another episode with Canyon a couple of months ago. (Do you remember his surgery threads almost 2 years ago?). We immediately ex-penned him into a small area in our livingroom, by the sliding door to the backyard. There he stayed for a month, only going out briefly to potty. We took turns sleeping downstairs with him, but I kept the other dogs away from him (so they didn't play or accidently bump into his neck). It worked!

Guest Swifthounds

The ex pen is a great alternative to crate rest if you have one and your boy is okay with them. It keeps them away from other hounds jostling them, keeps them from getting any grand ideas about jumping on/off of things and yet allows more room to walk around a bit and stretch legs.

Arrow screws up his neck every once in a while by shaking the crap out of a dog bed when he gets excited. I have to put him on pain meds for a few days, and not allow him on the bed. No running in the yard and usually within two weeks he's back to normal until the next time he loses control and gets hold of another dog bed.:rolleyes:

edited to add: I hope Phene is feeling better soon.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

If it's muscle related sometimes the Methocarbonal does wonders. More so then say Rimadyl and others.

Maybe some warm compresses? and I agree with Batmom on the restrictions.

Hope your boy starts feeling better soon :grouphug

No advice but I hope your boy is feeling better riteawayquick!

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Awwww poor Phene. no advice just :kiss2

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Lou has had a neck injury for years. I never know when it will happen. I keep Dexamethasone (steroid) in the house at all times. It relieves the swelling very soon after giving it to him.

I make him rest until he feels better.

You can add in milk thistle for a liver supplement. I've had Sparks on this for the last few years.

Sparks threw his back out last month and is on restricted activity. I'd like to bubble wrap him if I could.

Hope he's feeling better soon :grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Best wishes and thoughts for feeling better to Phoenix from all of us!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I hope Phoenix is on the mend soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks all for your suggestions and good wishes. I'll look for milk thistle. I like the idea of bubble wrapping him, :lol Poor guy is downstairs whining to join us upstairs, but that's not going to happen. I think the tramadol is making him crazy.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We're using methocarbamol (along with Tramadol) for a back problem and are finding it much more effective than Tramadol alone or than Rimadyl ever was. We've used it on two occasions, it keeps the muscles relaxed, and helps the dog tolerate inactivity, but he won't fall down or anything. Good luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks all for your suggestions and good wishes. I'll look for milk thistle. I like the idea of bubble wrapping him, :lol Poor guy is downstairs whining to join us upstairs, but that's not going to happen. I think the tramadol is making him crazy.

You can get the milk thistle at puritan pride- cheaper there

I've been sleeping on the couch since I got home from Dewey because I can't have Sparks in the bedroom (he'll will get stepped on by the other pups). So all 5 pups and I sleep in the living room and 2 end up on the couch with me :lol

My back is suffering now too

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Chiropractic and Acupuncture - helps every time without the side effects.

I often had dogs throw out their necks when playing with stuffies, or playing too hard.

AHVMA has a list of holistic vets around the country.

If you're going to keep him on the NSAIDs - do support his liver and kidney. Milk Thistle will help, as will this tincture from Azmira - Kidney Support, which is only $14.

There is also a natural alternative for NSAIDS and prednisone - Yucca Intensive[/url. I know of many who have been able to take their dogs off the drugs and use Yucca successfully.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

good news! phene's blood work is normal (I was happy that the vet added, "for a greyhound"), so we can continue with treatment. I've also made an app't with a holistic vet for acupuncture.acupuncture.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Good news.

Just my friendly reminder that you should ask for a copy of bloodwork and/or test results to keep at home. Should an emergency occur or should you need to do more testing in the future, you'll have something for comparison and won't need to depend on the vet hospital.