Scientific Nutrition Studies?

Guest synaptica

Guest synaptica

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of real, actual research on the nutritional requirements of greyhounds? I have become increasingly annoyed by people trying to sell me holistic, natural, antioxidant, superfood-containing, etc... foods at exorbitant prices. While it is likely that none of these things is inherently bad for greyhounds (or other dogs, or people), I have a difficult time believing that each has all of the magical properties with which it is ascribed, and am irritated that simply slapping a picture of a pomegranate on the bag evidently immediately allows the manufacturer to charge 50% more. I am aware of some of the human research on these very dietary considerations, and it is contentious at best. I doubt that the research in dogs is on any more solid ground.

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant, and I apologize, but I really am interested if anyone knows of any good papers.

Guest sirsmom

We know that greys are susceptible to early cancer, bowel problems and may have lower immune systems due to high energy output. It is suggested by the experts in research that anti oxidants (such as vit.e etc) can help the immune system and slow down some of these effects. So you may just have a healthier dog. It has been proven that certain $$$ foods (c/d, k/d etc by Hills and comparable foods by other companies)can help control certain diseases like kidney disease, joint disease, pancreatitis, even some of the effects of old age (through high antioxidants). But, you can certainly maintain any dog on any lower end food and many people do. Probably, there are very few concrete studies done on pet nutrition scientifically, but the 2 studies on antioxidants and probiotics seem promising. Other than that, your breeder (if you trust them) would be the person to ask on what food is best.

The best compendium is NRC's Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats, which cites many concrete studies. And many of the authors cited have additional work, altho you often need scientific journal subscriptions (online or paper) to access the full text; sometimes a simple "google" will get you the abstract.

The "holistic," "natural," "superfoods" stuff is marketing hoo-ha, as you suspect. Foods have ingredients, and it's mostly the ingredients that count. Doesn't matter whether those ingredients are holistic or natural or range-fed. It *does* sometimes matter what form an ingredient is in -- for example, some forms of calcium are more readily absorbable than others. It also sometimes matters what other ingredients are present -- for example, different types of fiber affect the absorption of other nutrients in different ways. The marketing on the bag doesn't take any of that into account. It's just marketing.

Here, over the long haul and sometimes over the short, we've usually had poorer results with the higher end commercial foods than with the middle-of-the-road selections like IAMS. If I want to feed a kibble/canned commercial food but can't find exactly what I want, I simply add whatever I feel is missing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest synaptica

It's not that I'm opposed to spending big bucks on good food -- I'm not. It's the spending of big bucks for no rational reason that bugs me.

I will have a look at the resources mentioned. Again, thanks!

Your best bet is to look for specific ingredients (e.g., specific types of fiber or specific forms of calcium) or things like protein:fat ratio. Most of the studies on things like nutritional content of grass-fed vs grain-fed, game animals, etc. are geared to people nutrition tho still applicable to us dog feeders. If you have access to journals, you're probably up on the types of titles and keywords you might find :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest synaptica

Your best bet is to look for specific ingredients (e.g., specific types of fiber or specific forms of calcium) or things like protein:fat ratio. Most of the studies on things like nutritional content of grass-fed vs grain-fed, game animals, etc. are geared to people nutrition tho still applicable to us dog feeders. If you have access to journals, you're probably up on the types of titles and keywords you might find :) .

Ok, will do. I have access to journals, but my field isn't nutrition (nor related). This should help me get started, though :)

I have a difficult time believing that each has all of the magical properties with which it is ascribed, and am irritated that simply slapping a picture of a pomegranate on the bag evidently immediately allows the manufacturer to charge 50% more.

You couldn't be referring to the human grade ingredients -- Oxygen barrier packaging -- Lifesource bits -- cumin and anise in dog food for herbal therapy -- blueberries and cranberries just ahead of trace minerals in the ingredients (what's that 5 blueberries in a 17# bag) sort of foods could you? Drives me totally crazy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg