Ripped Paw Pad

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

I have no idea what it was this time, because Molly is ALWAYS getting into something, but she cut the corner of one of her paw pads on something. Not vertically INTO the pad, but horizontally, so that the top, black layer of the paw pad tore off. It's a pretty small corner of one of her toes - maybe a millimeter in diameter, not bleeding or oozing or anything, just raw.

So far, we've been letting it alone in the house, and wrapping it when we go for (short) walks. It happened Friday, and I've been cleaning it about 2x a day - swish the foot in soapy water, dab with Betadine, apply some Neosporin and bandage. It doesn't seem to be bothering her too much - she limps much more because of the bandage on her foot than out of pain - and she still wants to run and play. How long does it usually take for the pad to grow back or heal over until she can run again?

Honestly when something like this has happened to one of my dogs I just clean it really well initially and after that I let it go. I don't wrap it or anything because my dogs just fuss and worry about the bandage anyway. If I leave it open the dog will lick it clean from any debris and I just keep rinsing it off once or twice a day. I also restrict walking until it seems sufficiently healed.

Like Shelia I clesn it and check it daily,,, I apply EMT spray daily,,, no wrap,,,, no long walks,, pads usually heal fast,, now I'm not talking about a massive rip here :)