Update On Lola

Guest stufts

Guest LindsaySF

The alpha thing is a total load of crap (no pun intended). I also disagree with the way the adoption group is handling this. They seem to be dragging out the inevitable and only making the decision harder on you and your family.

It sounds like Lola just enjoys the company of other Greyhounds. Some Greys are like that, even if they like other breeds (like a Boston Terrier), it might not have the same effect as being surrounded by other Greys.

It sounds like another home would be best for Lola. Don't worry, there are Greyhound people out there willing to adopt an 8 year old Grey. She will find the perfect home. :)

I have to agree with those that said she simply prefers the company of other greyhounds. If you're not in a position to adopt another one then the best thing is to let her go to a home with other hounds in it. There are plenty of homes out there that will adopt an 8 year old.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

This is sad; it's always so hard when you need to think about handing one back to the Rescue. I know I did with one early last year over prey drive which was far keener than anyone had thought and my dogs need to be small dog safe. I just couldn't bear the thought of her killing someone's little Pom or Yorkie. But she was such a people freindly dog that she got readopted within a week and I like to think she found a loving family where prey drive wasn't an issue.

I think there are three things against you here. Your home is not seen by Lola as her safe forever home, the pooping there is now an ingrained behavoural coping strategy (Even if you got 101% of the odor out I think she'd still do it), and the preceived need to be part of a Greyhound dog pack in a Greyhound environment. That she pooped again in the presence of your new dog could be because she feels even more uneasy; you can't just go from one state of mind to another because it isn't the presence of another dog that may help but being used to the presence of another dog.

The Alpha argument may or may not have merit. Analyse the Calming Signals Lola sent to you and whether she became less stressed when you replied in kind, or if it made no difference. I suspect the latter and that would mean she had constructed her own little world as a coping mechanism against the fear of being abandoned.

I don't think the clock can be rolled back. I think the single-dog argument will be more than plausible to potential adopters who already have Greys. Re-adoption IMHO is the only re-set button that can be pressed and all this toing and froing has heaped additional trauma upon you and also on the dog. There is no blame here, it just couldn't work out.

Guest PhillyPups

I have 5 hounds in my home, three of which I think would be okay as an only dog, I know 2 of mine would not make it. Of my 5 three joined us over the age of 10. None of my 5 ever spent one night of their lives not in the company of other greyhounds. Dogs are NOT computers that you "reboot".

Since Lola was fine in the foster home she went to, it sounds to me like she is not happy there. I do not mean that to sound harsh, just a fact. (Most folks do not marry the first person they date.)

I have learned over the years there is a home for every greyhound, it does not have to be my home.

I too am not one big on the "alpha" theory. Mine just know I hold the key to food. :lol

There comes times when we have to put the dog's welfare and happiness first. Good luck in your decision.

Guest gecko_foot

Well here's another update on Lola.

She came back home after her week long stint at the rep's house. Did not poop in the house ONCE there!! Enjoyed being with the other dogs in the home. Soooo....we got her back and adopted another dog to keep her company! We don't have room in the car for another greyhound, so we adopted an 18 month old Boston Terrier, Moses (who is adorable and wonderful, by the way--we are in love with him)!

But sadly, a week of having both of the dogs and Lola was still pooping in the house???? Oh my god! I couldn't believe it or take it anymore. I took her up to the rescue and she is there now. I talked to another wonderful rep there for a LONG time and basically the status is this: She will be there for two weeks...he said that sometimes coming back can kind of "re boot" a dog...like re booting a computer in a way!

At the end of the two weeks, I can decide if I want to get her and take her home to try, yet again. Or I can decide to let her go :( and he said he's 100% sure she'll get adopted, even though she's 8...she's so sweet, really!

Ugh, this is absolute and complete mental torture to me and I don't know what to do. I change my mind every minute, literally. This rep thinks that it could be that Lola does not see me as the alpha so she is not feeling secure--he said we can try exercises and things to change the nature of our relationship and that can help perhaps. This makes me hopeful! But at the same time, it scares me too--my kids also are very attached and it was hard to say goodbye when I brought her up to the rescue on Saturday. So do I try having her home AGAIN and if it doesn't work, put my kids (and myself and Lola) through this sadness?

I want her because I love her, I love greyhounds and I really want to have one in our life! But is it selfish of me to keep putting us all (including Lola) though this?

I Don't Know Anymore!!

And also, if I do surrender her, will another rescue ever feel good letting me adopt another greyhound at some point, or will they think I'm that person who adopts a dog and ends up giving it back? :(

I'd really like to try again with another grey at some point..not now of course..I need a break!

So...that's the latest....a final decision needs to be made very soon.

And that's the scoop!

Thanks,

Sandy

I also disagree with the "alpha" issue as it is describe above. I don't feel that any problem can be solved if the source isn't addressed, and it bothers me that the adoption group doesn't see that the problem is obviously the lack of other greys rather than the lack of "alpha". There are some problems that can be addressed by being firm and consistent (MY definition of alpha means being as gentle as possible but as firm as necessary and no more), but in my own experience, a truly anxious dog does not benefit from that approach alone if at all.

If she regressed to the behavior after being away from your home for a while, I doubt a simple solution like "rebooting" will be of any help since the primary problem hasn't been addressed, and that is NOT your fault. I'm not sure what the adoption group is thinking with that statement about rebooting Lola, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would be nice if we could just delete problem behaviors, but dogs aren't computers.

It sounds like you're doing everything you possibly can to make sure Lola is comfortable in your home, and I don't see why any adoption group would refuse to adopt to you again. I don't know of many people who would be able to handle the situation as well as you have. Good luck! :bighug

Guest KansasGrey

You have worked so hard to make it work!!! Don't feel guilty about letting her go. Our first grey was a bounce because of SA. He was in a home with another female grey but left alone all day. The family came home every night to a soiled crate. When we took him the same thing happened when he was left alone only three hours. The big difference was that one of us is usually home all the time. A month later we adopted a female and he totally relaxed and has been fine for two years. He is a bit high strung and couldn't handle being left alone all day. Someone will adopt Lola and love her just as much as you do. I'm so sorry you have had to go through all this for so long.

Yes, well the final decision has been made and I told the rescue today they we will not be taking Lola back :(

A very difficult decision to say the least but, ultimately, I think it is best. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my posts about her for the last 8 months and especially in this last thread.

Your support has been very helpful in easing some of my guilt and feelings of failure at making it work.

We will definitely adopt another greyhound in the future because I don't think I want to be without one for too long.

Thanks again!

Sandy

Guest PhillyPups

I am glad you made the best decision for Lola. Bostons have a different energy level and play methos than greyhounds, especially a puppy.

I do not understand the group's "re-booting" theory. Greyhounds are living beings, not computers. It is obvious that Lola thrives in the company of other greyhounds.

Good luck and thank you for thinking of Lola first.

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Sandy, Miss Pat from Philly Pups has forgotten more about Greyhounds than most people ever knew. She's an authority, she's got gobs (hi Gremlin!) of them, and she's ALWAYS on their side. ALWAYS. If she's says it's OK and you shouldn't feel guilty, don't. She'd be first in line to smack you upside the head if she thought you didn't do right by your dog.

Guest sweetpea

You've gotten great advice from some of THE wisest GTers on this board, there's nothing I can add to that.

But I can address your concern about another greyhound in your future.

My Sweetpea has been a dream from day one. No separation issues, no prey-drive issues (she lives with three cats).

She won't seek kids out, but she'll allow them to pet her; and when we took in Sebastian (a rat terrier with three strikes)

she took it all in stride. I think she rather enjoys having a little canine buddy now, but she is pretty ambivalent

about other dogs in general. She doesn't even really enjoy greyhound only play dates.

My point is, there are greyhounds out there who will suit your household, there really are. When you and your family are

ready, I have no doubt you will be able to find a hound that fits.

Good luck,

Buzzy and 'da Pea

You did what you did out of love, you put Lola's well-being first. That makes you an angel in many people's eyes, so I can't see why a group wouldn't adopt to you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest twhitehouse

Yes, well the final decision has been made and I told the rescue today they we will not be taking Lola back :(

A very difficult decision to say the least but, ultimately, I think it is best. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my posts about her for the last 8 months and especially in this last thread.

Your support has been very helpful in easing some of my guilt and feelings of failure at making it work.

We will definitely adopt another greyhound in the future because I don't think I want to be without one for too long.

Thanks again!

Sandy

I think you made the right decision even if it was very hard. I'm glad to hear that you are considering adopting another greyhound. :)

I only hope though that you maybe consider using a different group. I and many other people have not had the greatest experience with the group you used in Maine. I truly feel they handled your situation VERY poorly. Many other groups would have offered you much more support and probably could have made a better decision in placing the dog in the first place. But maybe that's just my opinion...

I personally recommend Amazing Greyz out of Franklin, MA. They only have a small number of dogs at their kennel so they can get to know each dog individually. There kennel is outstanding and Nancy and Mary truly love and know these dogs. They've never had a return because they placed a dog in the wrong home environment.

Best of luck to you when you do decide to get another grey. :)