Just When I Thought We Were Ok

Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

I really thought we were ok. Rippa's tests were all clear and I thought all was well. We had our local Greyhound Planet Day last Sat. Rippa and Rourke came, Rippa even got a blessing from Pastor Tony. :angel She started limping on Monday and I thought maybe she had compensated from the surgery on her back leg for the growth removal. I palpated and did range of motion with no sign of pain( I'm a physical therapist assistant). Thursday morning she was still limping, so my son took her to the vet for tests. I got the call at noon. My vet said when she touched her shoulder, Rippa screamed. :cry1 They did x-rays and there is a lesion on the proximal humerus. Dr. Hickman was almost as upset as I was. Rippa is my first greyhound, the one who opened the door for the others. I plan on keeping her comfortable as long as she seems happy, then letting her go to join my sweet Ozzie. :angelwings My concern is that she didn't show any pain for me, but she did for the vet. Any advice on what to watch for and anything that might make her more comfortable will be most appreciated. I can't imagine coming home without her to greet me.

Kim

Guest greytfulhounds

I am so very sorry to hear this. :cry1 I lost my Danny last Thursday to osteo.....I HATE this disease! :angryfire

Has the vet given you something for pain control?

If I can do anything at all to help you, please ask. You may want to check out the osteo thread too......everyone there was wonderful to me as I went through this last month with Danny.

Sending prayers & hugs to you & Rippa. :grouphug:hope

Guest 4rooers

I am so very sorry to hear this. :cry1 I lost my Danny last Thursday to osteo.....I HATE this disease! :angryfire

If I can do anything at all to help you, please ask. You may want to check out the osteo thread too......everyone there was wonderful to me as I went through this last month with Danny.

I started her on 1/2 a Rimadyl 2x daily on Tuesday. We have also added tramadol 2x daily. The vet has also said we can try Gabapentin. She has an appointment with the Eastern vet at the practice I use in 10 days to try some acupuncture and herbal treatments. I am sorry about your sweet boy. I know how hard it is to lose one of these special dogs, losing Ozzie in April was the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

Thank you for the prayers and hugs.

Kim

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytfulhounds

I started her on 1/2 a Rimadyl 2x daily on Tuesday. We have also added tramadol 2x daily. The vet has also said we can try Gabapentin. She has an appointment with the Eastern vet at the practice I use in 10 days to try some acupuncture and herbal treatments. I am sorry about your sweet boy. I know how hard it is to lose one of these special dogs, losing Ozzie in April was the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

Thank you for the prayers and hugs.

Kim

Danny was on Rimadyl & Tramadol too.....he took 1 1/2 Rimadyl in the morning with a Tramadol & a Tramadol at night. My vet had talked about the ability to add the Gabapentin when needed but we never got that far. I had also started him right away on Artemisinin which is an herbal medication that has been shown to help fight the cancer & possibly put it in remission. Neylasmom has had great success with this treatment......Neyla just celebrated 5 months since diagnosis. Osteo is aggressive & painful....Danny had just had that leg x-rayed in March & it was not there & 5 weeks ago it was there. I tried to hit the ground running as soon as I got diagnosis but it wasn't enough.

Guest Adrianne

I'm so very sorry you received this devastating news. Enjoy every single moment you have together; no matter how much you have, it will never seem enough. And while it's an incredibly sad time, there is still joy to be found for both of you.

Hugs to you and sweet scritches to Rippa.

Guest vahoundlover

:cry1 Kim I am so sorry!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing last night when Sara told me. I sent you Sherrys' (greytfulhounds) email addy in case you want to talk to someone. Anything I can do, say the word. :grouphug :grouphug

I am so sorry to read this terrible news. Sending prayers of comfort to you. Enjoy every breath she takes. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I don't have any advice but just wanted to let you know that I am sending prayers and hugs for you and your sweet Rippa. Please give her a :kiss2 for me.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so sorry you got a rotten diagnosis. We gave Bay 1 50mg Rimadyl twice a day and Tramadol pretty much as needed.

We discussed the Tramadol doseage with our vet and agreed that the object was to keep her as pain free as possible. Started out giving her the Tramadol 3-4 times a day and then gradually increased it as the pain increased.

Unfortunately, Bay was only with us a little over a month after the initial diagnosis.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Kim,

I am very sorry to hear about Rippa's diagnosis. I hope you have many, many more happy times with her. As others have stated and am sure you are aware, staying ahead of the pain is the most important. We will keep Rippa and you in our thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

thoughts and prayers are with you and rippa -- i can't lie -- it sucks. please check out the 30-odd page osteo thread - you will find lots of support/tips/prayers/help/friends there - all are in the same boat and that is so comforting as nobody in your everyday life will seem to get it (or that was our experience) - you will need the friends you will make there.

I am sorry to read this sad news. Wishing you many good days with your girl. Make memories, take photos and make each day special.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds