Costco Rocks!

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi Greytalk friends,

I just wanted to share some great deals I got at costco yesterday. They have a 3lb bag of chicken breast jerky for $14.49. They are excellent quality and my houndies went nuts over them. I also picked up 2 bags of off brand edible dental bones (like nylabone edibles) for $11.46 each. There's over 20 large bones in each bag. And lastly I got a huge box of the Costco dogfood brand premium dog bones in two flavor (about 6 lb box) for $11.39. I also picked up a giant two pack of Jiff (we plug stuffed Kongs with it) for $7. Later that day, I went to Petsmart to pick up Ava's new Grain Free food (see thread) and to pick up treats to mix my Kong stuffing recipe. I noticed the EXACT same brand of the chicken jerky in a 1lb bag for $18!:eek :eek :eek I also saw a similar brand bag of the edible dental bones for 3x the price of Costco. It just blew my mind. I'm so glad we joined Costco. It has been worth every penny just on the doggie stuff much less the food for us. I got a huge bag of chicken breasts $15 and a the best rotiserie chicken I've ever tasted for $4.99. It's just the DH, the hounds and me around here so the big quantities of their products isn't really for us but the money I saved on the doggie's stuff has paid for the $50 enrollment fee and then some.

-ava and augie's mum

Yeah, I just wish they'd carry some chicken jerky made in the US!! The only kind I can find (at Costco or any of the pet stores) is made in China. :(

LOVE Costco! I heard a rumor that they might be starting to carry bully sticks...

Mine had bully sticks last year. I keep checking for them to bring them back. IIRC, it was something like twelve 12" sticks for $19.99! I will be stocking up when they bring them back!

Guest avadogner

Yikes about the China bit! I checked the bags and they are made by KingdomPets and are made in Westminster, California. The only ingredient is chicken breasts. I plan on going back and getting 3 more bags. I didn't see any bully sticks but will post if I do.

-ava and augie's mum

Yikes about the China bit! I checked the bags and they are made by KingdomPets and are made in Westminster, California. The only ingredient is chicken breasts. I plan on going back and getting 3 more bags. I didn't see any bully sticks but will post if I do.

-ava and augie's mum

Yeah, those are the same brand my Costco carries. Distributed by KingdomPets....but, check the back, right under the skew. They're made in China. <_<

ETA: I have bought them before, and my dogs loved them, too. I'm just hoping to find a "Made in the USA" alternative.

Edited by Gert

Guest Energy11

YES, COSTCO ROCKS!!! **** I would buy my kibble there, IF I had one closer than 1.5 hours away!! JUST TOO far with the gas pushing $3 a gallon AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started on the gas prices and the economy!

You are lucky to have a Costco near you :-))):colgate

Guest Energy11

Jeez!!! I just bought bully stix through Amazon.com! SEE what I mean ... it STINKS that the closest Costco for us is over 1.5 hours away!!!

They need to get one up this way!!!!!!!!!!! SOON!!! :colgate

Guest avadogner

Isn'titgreyt,

Bummer they didn't have the jerky at your Costco. We didn't have bully sticks at mine but their selection seems to change about every month. We buy Augie's kibble from there Kirkland Premium Chicken. He's still adjusting and have some GI issues. I've gone grain free with our poor eater senior Ava. I am hoping Augie can tolerate the Kirkland. It has a great score according to the formula on here and 40 lbs is less than $30. Ava's new Blue Buffalo Taste of Wilderness grain free salmon food is $50 for 25 lbs. It's pricey but we are trying to get more calories in her. 1 cup of the BB has the same calories and more protein than 1 1/2 cups of her old Salmon based food. She snubs anything not fish based. My houndies LOVE the chicken jerky and go crazy for it. They seem to like the dental chews (like a edible nylabone) too. I've never given them bully sticks but may try some out if they come to our costco. Sorry for y'all who don't have a costco. That really stinks. We were so happy when ours came 2 yrs ago. Maybe you'll get one soon!

-ava and augie's mum

Guest shanesmom

I love Costco! They opened one here a year ago and I'm so happy they did. I shop there all the time. I bought the chicken jerky for Elton too. He loves it.

Guest Sunset123

Costco is worth the membership fee for the Kirkland kibble alone! I also love when they have the stuffy multipacks! They'll probably be stocking a lot more of those for the Christmas season.

I haven't checked my costco yet, but i've gotten some pretty good deals on Ebay for those big Flossies (similar to bully sticks) that my girls like. In a large quantity, they were less than half the cost of buying them individually at the pet store.

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest mountain4greys

I just bought the chicken jerky at Costco last week. My dogs go nuts over it. I was standing in the store reading the bag, when a couple walked over to me and said how good this treat is. They said they got the recommendation from their vet who gives it to his patients. My dogs will actually drool waiting to get it. I also get my kibble from there to.:)

Yeah, I just wish they'd carry some chicken jerky made in the US!! The only kind I can find (at Costco or any of the pet stores) is made in China. :(

Ezactly - I won't buy it, and I don't like to do that, but I don't trust anything made outside of the US and Canada.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Greytluv

Ezactly - I won't buy it, and I don't like to do that, but I don't trust anything made outside of the US and Canada.

I've been feeding my dogs Costco jerky for years. My Shih Tzu died at 17 and my Springer at 16. They got it everyday. I'm not sure how old my Dobi was. Around 12, I think.

As long as it's just a treat, there's nothing wrong with it. I wish there was Chicken jerky, MIA, that was as economical but I have yet to find it :dunno Not for the quality but I just like to buy things made in America :D

Guest mountain4greys

Ya still have to worry about things made in this country also.:) As long as my pack will eat them, I'll get them.

Edited by mountain4greys

My fear with Chinese stuff is things like melamine - takes VERY LITTLE to harm or kill a dog. There are few, if any, laws regarding pet food in China, and they will add anything. That has been seen over the last couple years' recalls.

Yes, I am being over-cautious. But I also want to send a message to the domestic distributors that many of us WILL NOT purchase products made outside the US and Canada. I would rather pay more for a little more peace of mind that what I am feeding is safe. It's not about the economy for me, though I have very little money. It's about safety, and the desire to keep money in my domestic economy (yes, I do include Canada in that, since the US and Canada have always been so economically friendly).

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest spaztastic_fam

-ava and augie's mum

Yeah, those are the same brand my Costco carries. Distributed by KingdomPets....but, check the back, right under the skew. They're made in China. <_<

ETA: I have bought them before, and my dogs loved them, too. I'm just hoping to find a "Made in the USA" alternative.

It is tricky to make it seem that they are from the USA but the ones sold at my Costco are products of China - when I read the label I actually took the bag back. My Costco is carrying pork jerky that is a product of the USA and I have bought that and they love it!

Guest MichelleRenee

I do love costco. I have several dog beds from them, and get their piggy ears, & chicken jerky.

But I will not use their kibble again. Maybe it was just my boys, but their stools were nothing but mush on it. We've since then switched to Science Diet-active, and stools are great.

I make my own chicken jerky for our boys;they love it.

Throw it in the smoker for 11hours,and its all set.

I hope to do another batch this weekend.

Mark.