Sparks Can't Bark

Wonder

I've been meaning to post this for a while but other stuff happened.

This isn't a concern but it's interesting.

History- Sparks annual exam is every Spring

dx'd with mild LP 2 years ago. I brought it up again this spring at his annaul and my vet said it's nothing to be concerned about and the only hound that he knew had LP was Chancy (Aimee's hound).

He's been hacking for the last few years which is a symptom of LP.

He's panting a lot.

When he barks, his mouth moves but no sound comes out. This is new as of the last few weeks.

Before when he barked, it was kinda hoarse.

anyway, I'm not concerned, just curious of anyone has a barkless hound with mild LP :)

if I think of any other symptoms, I'll edit.

now I wonder if this has anything to do with his not wanting to eat?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sounds like LP to me. I grew up with a standard poodle who had it and when he barked it sounded like a horrible hacking cough. He did have the surgery, because it got bad enough. It was so bad, if he was in the room, we couldn't have a conversation because the breathing was so heavy. It was like Darth Vador.

I don't know much about LP really. But between the panting and silent barks, I'd be concerned. I confess I've not had good experience with trying to be unconcerned.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Could certainly be contributing to his difficulties. Do you have a blender? Worth pureeing his food for several days to see if that helps him get it down (and stay down).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think I'd get him checked out again Kari. Jack lost his bark and began panting and it wasn't LP, it was Chronic Airway Disease. He was over thirteen year old, and despite going back time and again to my vet (who I still haven't forgiven) it wasn't diagnosed until about a week before he started throwing clots. I have no idea if the two were connected, but I'm thinking somehow, probably.

These days I'd want a chest x-ray before I started making assumptions, even in a dog with LP.

Sounds an odd thing to say, but ... I hope it's just a progression of the LP and not something else mixed in with it. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It seems odd to me that this loss of voice would happen suddenly. Chancy's LP progression was gradual over the two years I had her. To truly diagnose LP, he would need to be put under and scoped. In my opinion, I would not do that in a senior hound unless I was already committed to the idea of proceeding with a tieback surgery immediately (assuming he was positively diagnosed), while still under the same anesthesia. It took me some real convincing to get our vet to agree to this. He was very skeptical of the tieback surgery's possible success, and had never done one himself before. So thankfully, he referred me to a veterinary surgeon for the procedure.

My only regret was that I hadn't done it sooner for my sweet ol' Chancy-fancy.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Kari, no advice as I have no experience with LP, just wanted to send good wishes. Poor Sparks is having a tough run. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greytbookert

As Booker's LP progressed, he did go from hoarse sounding to no Bark. such as previously mentioned, he may have gone from unilateral to bilateral.

Sending as many good thoughts as I can for you and Sparks!

As Booker's LP progressed, he did go from hoarse sounding to no Bark. such as previously mentioned, he may have gone from unilateral to bilateral.

Sending as many good thoughts as I can for you and Sparks!

He did a hoarse bark today :yay

So did you do anything with this progression?

Did you change his food at all? I hate to even think about changing his food since he's been so picky lately.

What does unilateral to bilateral mean?

Thank everyone for all the posts - I really appreciate the support.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest greytbookert

Unilateral = one side; bilateral both sides. These are the flaps that are effected by the LP. I know, very scientific.

I'll send you a PM later tonight with more info...I've got 3 sets of eyes giving me the hairy eyeball because I had the nerve to actually go into the office today! :lol

Unilateral = one side; bilateral both sides. These are the flaps that are effected by the LP. I know, very scientific.

I'll send you a PM later tonight with more info...I've got 3 sets of eyes giving me the hairy eyeball because I had the nerve to actually go into the office today! :lol

Thank you

I'm at work until 11pm and the clocks not moving :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

There's no real need to do anything different with his food unless you do end up having the tieback surgery.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Tex was just diagnosed with mild LP, he is my second dog with it.

The first was Teddy my whippet.

With both the dr told me to return if they started panting heavily.

With him losing his voice for most of the time and the panting, I would check with your vet, it might be time for the operation.

Guest greytfulhounds

My Hunter was diagnosed with LP in the spring. However, after he was diagnosed & I started to read up on LP I realized this had been coming on for years & has progressed. Hunter was never a barker but he did whine.....now, when he tries to whine it is either hoarse or nothing comes out when he tries to do it.

My vet is not too keen on the surgery, although I am thinking about pushing a little more. She had read some good things about using a human drug called Doxepin which is an antidepressant with antihistamine properties. Because LP is aggravated by humidity the anithistamine helps & the antidepressant helps to keep him calm when the anxiety kicks in from his inability to breath. We had an extremely hot & humid summer here on the east coast & I really believe the Doxepin got us through the summer. We started out at 75 mg twice a day & recently just increased it to 100 mg twice a day. I buy the drug at Walmart as part of their $4.00 program.

Even at the increased dosage Hunter is lately having a bit of difficulty. I am so nervous about the surgery but it may end up being a consideration. Hunter is 12 years old & am not sure this is a good idea.

Good luck with your baby & please post about your path.