Senior Grey Whining

Guest bry736

I am the proud momma of a 13 1/2 yr.old female grey by the name of Blue Lady. Lately when she is lying in her bed, she has been crying. She is okay physically, just slowing down, but gets this sad cry quite a bit. No other behavior changes, appetite is good. Anyone with any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you. Her bed is down the hallway but not locked away, as she is free to roam about anywhere.

The strange thing is that she only does it when she is alone somewhere. (like down the hallway) She never does it when she is with me or around me. Do you think it could be anxiety? I am a stay at home person and she is not alone very often. What would cause anxiety (if it is) now at this late stage????

Could she be losing her sight? She may not be able to see as well as she did when she was younger. These hounds can cope so well you don't even think about it being their eyesight. My girl Emmy lost her sight and she coped so well for so long we had no idea it was her eyes. My girl Gee is 11 1/2 and doesn't see well in the dark any more. I noticed it a few weeks ago.

You can test her eyesight with a cotton ball. Toss it in the air right in front of her face, if she's able to track it, she's doing good, if she doesn't then you'll know she's got something going on with her eyes.

The other possibility is that at her age, she may be getting a little senile and your being out of her line of sight my be a little upsetting to her. It's so hard when they get older. I've watched my girl get turned around in the yard and I have to call her so she can find her way back to the door.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Aw... Sweet senior girl!

Like humans, dogs get "doggie Alzheimers," ... could be a touch of that. Could be separation anxiety, could be pain. Best to have a "sit down" with you vet, and tell him/her, what you told us, and go from there.

Give her a HUGE hug from us! My oldest is 10.5, and he is also slowing down. Hard to see them grow old!

It is true about the age thing. I was just noticing that she stumbles every once in awhile. I am having a sad heart at the thoughts of this. I will try the cotton ball test and let you know how she fares. The vet said that she has a minor amount of cataracts. She is one of my babies... need I say more???

Guest greytbookert

Sending good thoughts your way. I would probably say eyes too but maybe pain somewhere as well. My older broodie, Mama Ro, did the whining thing when her eyes started to be not so young as her spirit!

If she's only doing it when you're not with her, I'd lean towards a mild touch of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction) or senility. There is a medication that can help with that--anipryl.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest goodtimekid

Even though she can move around freely she might be lonely. Kid will cry/whine from our bedroom where one of his beds are. He wants me to go to him and pet him, etc. He has me trained no doubt. As a matter of fact he's doing it right now.....lol sending good thoughts for the grand lady and hoping it is just that she's lonely...

I did the dropping of the cotton ball and she tracked it wonderfully. I retried it in bright light and then dimmed the lights and she followed it really a lot better than I thought. So is it bad of me to go to her when she is whining. I just can't seem to ignore her. I just want to make it all easier for her. What would all of you suggest? She is a very wonderful girl. I found her at our local shelter at 8 yrs. old, unspayed, overgrown nails and just neglected. She couldn't walk on our hardwood floors, nor could she do a long set of stairs. We had runner mats & even a few towels on the floor for her to walk on. Now she walks all over and does stairs like she has been all of her life!!!! She is beautiful!!!

Guest lynne893

Awww, I would move her bed so that it's closer to you, wherever you are. As a senior, you know that your time with her is precious, and I'd work around the inconvenience of moving her bed just to have her closer to me if that eased her concern/whining :)

Hugs and good luck!