Kelly Update!

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

Due to work and general crazy busyness I haven't been able to get on here at all recently, so apologies for this very overdue update!

Kelly has continued to improve - his meds are down to 1/2 a pred tablet (2.5.mg) every other day (he was on 10mg every day) and 500mg of ABs a day (he was on 1500mg). As you can imagine, we're really pleased and relieved about that! The head spasms he was having seem to have stopped too, which makes me more convinced than ever that they were a side effect of the pred.

His muscles have come back (he has mega-thighs once more!) and he is super-playful and energetic. In fact I know he's feeling better because I keep having to tell him to calm down! :rolleyes: He's even managing long walks again which he absolutely could not do a couple of months ago. As for food, he's still on the home-cooked diet and we've decided not to change that for now as he's doing well on it.

Here's a pic of his Stripeyness doing what he does best (when he's not indulging in his new favorite pastime of digging up the lawn):

SnoozingHound.jpg

Glad he is doing well. He is certainly a handsome boy. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hooray for Kelly and for you.

Will you continue to try cutting down the meds, or do you think that what he's on now is the optimum level?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I couldn't be happier to hear this! Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay! :gh_bow Too bad about that home-cooked food, Kelly!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Stripeyfan

Hooray for Kelly and for you.

Will you continue to try cutting down the meds, or do you think that what he's on now is the optimum level?

I'd love it if we could cut the meds down further, especially the pred, so we're definitely going to try - I have to ring our vet next week with an update on his Stripeyness, so will ask her where we go from here. However I think an every other day dose is usually what's aimed for if a dog does have to stay on pred. As for the ABs, I know some dogs with his problems have to stay on low doses for life (or for a pretty long time!), which we've already talked about with our vet. So I won't worry too much if that turns out to be the case. After all, he's better off being on the meds than having the big D, which almost did for him back in March.

And yes, Greyhead, he's devastated about having to stay on the home cooked food, as you can imagine! :P