Managing Arthritis.....

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

Hello!

OUr big guy, Bacchus, had been limping for a few days. We saw our vet yesterday..... it's ONLY arthritis......

He's on tramadol for a few days to get the pain down, then we'll probably start some cold laser treatments in about 10 days... any experience with cold laser out there? My chiropractor recommended it for me with my arthritis. we've also upped his glucosomine/chrondrotin dose for a fwe weeks, too. then back to regular dase.

we may need to go on some permanent meds - like rimadyl or metaccam..... any experience with those?

The rain has subsided and Bacchus is resting comfortably in the sunny family room.

Thanks,

Jayne

Valentino has arthritis and we had better results from using Metacam or Deramaxx. Since those help with the inflammation, they work better than just something for pain. I can give it to Valentino when he has a flair up for a week and the limping will go away. I just use it when he starts limping again. He's had two flairs this year but right now he's doing really well. We also upped his dose of glucosomine/chrondrotin and that has helped also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Swifthounds

As I posted in the other current thread on arthritis, S.O.D. and Boswellia work very well for inflammation in conjunction with arthritis and are much safer for the liver/kidneys. I would give it a try before resorting to permanent meds. You can always keep tramadol on hand for the occasional bad day.

you might try Yucca Intensive, by Holistic Animal Care. Claudia at the Greyhoundgang.org sells it. it's a tincture and easily given in the food

1 drop per 10 lbs of body weight into food 2 times daily

do this in place of the rimadyl

I think the salmon oil has anti-inflammatory properties too, try increasing that,, or adding it with your supplements.

i know she swears by it, and i have started giving my 10 yr Power a daily dose to ease his joint inflammation

sorry, i don't know anything about cold laser treatment, i do have a vet offering it though and it sounds interesting.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I prefer Metacam for Fletcher's flare-ups, but for daily use I give him a Traumeel tablet twice a day, and he hasn't had a flare up in over a year! However, if I quit giving them to him, he starts limping in about two days, so I know it's working. I also give him a milk thistle capsule.

Guest KennelMom

My advice: grain free diet, good glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, good fish oil supplement. Anti-inflammatories as needed. Tramadol for arthritis? Not my first choice unless the dog can't tolerate NSAIDs.

Guest Swifthounds

My advice: grain free diet, good glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, good fish oil supplement. Anti-inflammatories as needed. Tramadol for arthritis? Not my first choice unless the dog can't tolerate NSAIDs.

:nod Chicken feet are a good source of natural (and fun!) glucosamine. I find tramadol better as an "occasional" pain med because it's a synthetic opioid so it works on pain reception immediately, as opposed to NSAIDs, which take 2-3 days for full effect and can do liver damage in that amount of time in an older dog.

Guest DoofBert

Thanks for all the info...

Bacchus (and the entire Black Pack) enjoys Taste of the Wild..... His limp has gone and he's got his happy look back in his eyes.

What's the dosage for fish oil supplement?

I have an old girl with (non grey) with slight arthritis,,, and I swear by Dasuquin with MSM

I think the MSM makes the difference,,,, but I will look into the Yucca suggestion too :)

Guest greyhoundgirl1

I've been folowing the arthritis posts with interest. My 6 year old is on Metacam because she was diagnosed with the start of fusion of the spine which is usually found in older dogs. Of course all the vets (I even asked Dr. Cuoto about Metacam's safety at the Ohio State Greyhound Conference) have said it is safe for the long term as long as they monitor her. I am, however, concerned that it might affect her life span especially since I give it to her every day and she is fairly young. I happened to notice some greytalkers use Metacam just for flair-ups and use other natural aids such as Greyhound Gang's Get-Up and Go! I was wondering if I should try to back off on the Metacam and try some of the naturals? Does anyone know if you can just stop METACAM? OR DO YOU NEED TO WEEN THEM OFF? :huh